Search
Register
Good People Check: Is this really a diss track to Slug
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

futuristxen

Oh I do have a question--when you say anticon--what do you mean? Cause a lot of people when they say anticon, they mean Slug, Buck 65, Sixtoo, Sole, Dose, Alias, Why?, Passage and the producers...and some people also mean Sage Francis...

If you just go by the site anticon is 8 gentlemen:
alias
doseone
jel
odd nosdam
passage
sole
the pedestrian
why?

is this who you are talking about specifically when you say Anticon bores you?
and if you mean all 8 of these guys bore you--some of those guys did production on Sages album--so are you saying you were bored by Message Sent, Climb Trees, and Eviction Notice to name a few.(that might be all of them?)

I find your statement almost unbelievable that in a group as diverse as that you are completely bored by all of them?

I don't know maybe you mean what you say when you make that blanket of a statement--but i kind of feel like most of the people who make those statements don't really understand what they are saying--what they mean to say is stuff like Dose-One has a weird voice and strange production--and Sole is an asshole who annoys the piss out of me, and he was clowned on Linda Tripp.

I'm just wanting a better understanding of your viewpoint.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:20 am
Dee

I don't mind their production on Sage's album...I just don't like he albums I've heard. For instance, I found Dose's album to be very dull. Sole I've only heard maybe 5 or 6 songs, but I really found those to be tiring as well.

And of course I love Sage's stuff....he's dope. Fooz.

But anticon...it comes across to me as pretentious and irritating.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:26 am
mack-mode

so you hear 5 or 6 songs from sole's 3+ albums plus several work on deep puddle, live poets etc. and you can judge it as a whole? you consider one of the most encentric styles in hip-hop of dose's dull?

you probably don't care to hear more, but nothing they ever come out sounds quite the same. this shows you lack of knowledge of what you are trying to diss, maybe if you'd actually try and interpret what they are trying to say, instead of getting bored from having to use your brain too much, then maybe you'd appreciate them more.

i just don't see your thought process on how they could be pretentious, cause they are serious about the music they make and direction they like to go.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:53 am
CFL

Sorry to take it back to the original topic but...initially, I interprted "GPC" as a diss to El-P..."Gun up your ass..." aluding to the Deep Space 9mm vid.

And these two camps obviously still have some issues with each other, even though I read over a year ago that everything is pretty much gravy...but then El's verse on "Same as it Never Was" (Weathermen - track 1 on Definitive Jux Presents 2) seems like a complete rehash thrashing of Sole, and the lines about "urban/inner city mentality" in "Constellation Funk" also indicate that these 2 crews are still just not happy with one another...

Which makes me fucking sick.

I want a make-up posse cut with Vast, El, Dose, <beat change up> Sole, Aes, Alias, <beat change up> Mr Lif, Sage (of course), Vordul and finally, Sluggo! Beats split in 3: Jel, Rjd2, and El...

Fuck, I remember all the promise all the dope indy hop artists had when they started coming up: RSE, Anticon, all the MUSH guys, some of the Boston cats, and later on the DJX camp...If all these cats acted like the true "artists" they usually profess themselves to be, they would figure out that ultimately, the m ost important thing is the music...It's just pathetic that these parties who have issues can't drop it for a second and realize the potential...kill that ego and fucking try to fathom the unbelievable music that could be made, you clowns!

Aaarrgh, fucking hip-hop, drives ya to tears sometimes, yknow?

Sorry for the rant, y'all...idealist hop head here...

CL
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 2:28 am
Reggie

That someone can say they were raised on "hip hop's golden years 84-91" but their list of top influential albums are all from the last five years is astounding to me. Not that I disbelieve it, it is just amazing.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:22 am
Random Sample

ok  Reply with quote  

I don't care how hard you anticon dick riders try to convince me that they are the shit, I still won't like them and they will never be good music to me. I do listen to their music and listen to what they have to say and I feel like it is just dull like my man djdee said. Sometimes the beats are nice I won't knock that. Their music is boring.

Reggie:

I was just talking about albums that impressed me in the past five years. All of my truly favorite albums come from that period.

futuristxen:

and I didn't say where aesop rock was found initially, I said about how def jux found out about him.

so def jux didn't start up on their own? Rupert Murdock has nothing to do with def jux. That is EL-P's monster that he has created. And if you even start talking shit on Rawkus and Company Flow I know their is something wrong with you cats. If it wasn't for Company Flow and Rawkus with the movement five years ago, the "underground" scene wouldn't be as big.

Leyburn:

And far as influences go I can say that miles davis is an influence on me, but I wouldn't say that I am a jazz musician. plus I don't doubt that they were headz when they were younger, but the place that they are taking it is not hip hop to me.

Quote:

How exactly did you come to this conclusion? I have never heard anyone from Anticon say they are better than other MC's. So either you have seen some interview or quote somewhere that I haven't or you are making things up.

I didn't say the line EL-P said it so why don't you ask him.

The shit talking really is needed, because I am tired of hearing all this shit about anticon this and anticon that. they are mediocre. It is as simple as that. I don't care if the peeps at anticon think that they aren't better than anyone else. They just need to realize that they are worst than everyone else, and then they should move to greenland.

Music can not be just music in hip hop. The music is a part of a culture. If you consider yourself a fan of th music then you are a part of the culture. It is people like you who are half assed in the culture is why I get so pissed off.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 9:00 am
Leyburn

Re: ok  Reply with quote  

random_sample wrote:
The shit talking really is needed, because I am tired of hearing all this shit about anticon this and anticon that.

You do relise by shit talking I ment telling lies? You need to tell lies? What an odd character you are.

random_sample wrote:
Music can not be just music in hip hop. The music is a part of a culture. If you consider yourself a fan of th music then you are a part of the culture. It is people like you who are half assed in the culture is why I get so pissed off.

What culture? Music is something you listen to. And no matter what music I listen to I am not going to force myself into some predefined culture.

I would like to know what are you suggesting exactly? Should I start to dress more hip hop? Talk more hip hop? Or maybe even listen to music which is more hip hop? What would the point in that be? You want me to fake who I am because it pisses you off that people outside of hip hop listen to the music?

Really, if you don't like Anticon, don't listen to it! If you don't like their fans, don't take notice of them! I really don't see what it is your campagning against here.

Okay we ain't hip hop enough for you, who gives a shit?
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 10:12 am
Random Sample

I listen to other music and I don't consider being a part of their culture. All genres of music has a culture tied to them, if you think that they don't then you are more ignorant than I already thought that you were. You don't think so, but you are a part of the hip hop culture, It just so happens to be the part that I don't really like. That is my opinion, and I am sure that there is artists that I like that you down right loathe. Honestly I said most of this shit to get you people all worked up. I offer a truce Leyburn, because we could argue about this for days and we would get nowhere exept for where we are right now.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:22 am
futuristxen

random_sample wrote:
I listen to other music and I don't consider being a part of their culture. All genres of music has a culture tied to them.

There's the problem right there. that's really the arguement that you're having more than anything. You aren't really understanding what anticon is properly, you're trying to hold them to a genre standard, when they really aren't out to make genre music.

Hiphop is the base for what they do, but they don't let it define them, as much as they seek to go out and define hiphop for themselves(ha).

And Djdee, you should check out some of the anticon producers albums, I think you might like them. Jel's Greenball, and Controller 7's Left Hand Straw(Controller 7 is one of my personal favorite producers going.) to name two of the better ones. Greenball especially, is very dope. Jel is dope dope dope. Try to give that shit a listen.

I've also heard the instruemental version of Alias's album is great too. That album has some great production.

Just an option. There are a lot of people that love the anticon producers and hate the emcees.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:57 pm
clout

ALIAS IS THE SHIT THAT MAN DESERVES A PAT ON THE BACK AND A SHOT OF JACK!!!!!!!!!
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 4:06 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

Yes Alias is dope.

His lyrics make perfect sense also.Might bore you with his delivery and minimalistic production though.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:31 pm
Dee

funcrusher wrote:
so you hear 5 or 6 songs from sole's 3+ albums plus several work on deep puddle, live poets etc. and you can judge it as a whole? you consider one of the most encentric styles in hip-hop of dose's dull?

you probably don't care to hear more, but nothing they ever come out sounds quite the same. this shows you lack of knowledge of what you are trying to diss, maybe if you'd actually try and interpret what they are trying to say, instead of getting bored from having to use your brain too much, then maybe you'd appreciate them more.

i just don't see your thought process on how they could be pretentious, cause they are serious about the music they make and direction they like to go.

First off, the songs I heard were ones anticon fans told me were the best ones, so its not like I just downloaded some random shit.
Second, this bullshit about how I'm not "interpreting" their music correctly, is just that. I like good music. This whole super-intellectual thing comes off as pretentious and plain bullshit.
I also get the feeling that you don't know what pretentious means.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:38 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

pretentious-asking for something that you do not deserve.

or something tio that effect.

Do you like my head (the song)?
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 7:48 pm
Dee

I don't think I've heard it. I heard Bottle of humans and some other shit.

And no, that is not the definition of pretentious.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:08 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

I was close enough.

pretentious-demanding a position of distincion or merit, especially when unjustified.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 8:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next