Register
Good People Check: Is this really a diss track to Slug
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

dabinduppes

who is Dose ? is he from DefJux too ?
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:08 pm
futuristxen

Dose is on the anticon label, as well as Mush.

Interesting tidbit of info, Aesop Rock was "discovered" by Slug, but Dose is the one who brought him into Mush and that helped him get with Def Jux.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:21 pm
dabinduppes

...  Reply with quote  

ooooooooh the big black guy with dreads....he sucks
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:32 pm
Random Sample

I understand what you are saying, but if you plan to live off of music you have to be worried about the business aspects of music. If you make a living off of your music, and your bills are rolling in, you wish you would have sold a couple of more albums, beats, or mixtapes. I enjoy making music too. You should always make music for you first and if other people dig it then that is cool. If you don't want to be heard, then your music is a hobby and not a profession. I have musical interests that are hobbies. I play drums and jam with some people and it is fun, but I am not serious about it. I am serious with hip hop. I am trying to make a profession out of my music. I am not out to be famous. I just want to live comfortable off of music so that I can quit my 9-5 job. I have a college degree and I have been working in the corporate world for 3 years now and I know I don't want to do this for the rest of my life. I want to do what I love and that is music. So if I want to survive on my music I need to make money off of it. Do you understand what I am saying? If you are content with busting your ass at a job and then busting your ass on music for pennies then more power to you. Did you ever have the feeling of hearing your music out of a car that is driving down the street? It is a beautiful feeling. Don't you want to live at a level a little more higher than average. If you want to be average then why do you even try to do anything. You just want to stroll through life with no up's and just down's. That is a very dissappointing life don't you think? I know I want to make the most out of music so I don't have to work hard for the rest of my life.

I was raised in the hip hop golden years of 84-91. I am not saying that I am a member of the zulu nation, but I know some shit. I know that hip hop has been taken in directions that are not what hip hop is about. I was talking to a friend who owns a record shop about how the new younger heads have no clue about where hip hop is from and what it is about. I remeber listening to albums and having them change my life. I can honestly say that there is only a handful of albums that really influenced me. and here they are:

1. Company Flow - Funcrusher Plus
2. Blackstar
3. Atmosphere - Lucy, Ford EP's
4. Aesop Rock - Labor Days
5. EL-P - Fantastic Damage

I could list probably a good fifty albums here but recently these are the ones that have had the most impact on me. I just think that where certain artists are taking hip hop really isn't hip hop at all. EL-P has a great line about how (paraphrasing) artsy emcee's think there better than the inner city kids and now they wonder why they can't move units. And how they don't understand the culture the music was built on. I feel that this is what is happening right now. Everyone is thinking about the future without having a strong foundation of the past. This makes me sick. That is why I like slug so much more than Dose. I think that slug has a understanding of what hip hop is truly about and where it should go. It is not the fact that I have bought music longer than you have. It is the fact that I feel I was raised in the culture and I am not just a fan. I drink, eat, and sleep hip hop.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:52 pm
Random Sample

from what I know, def jux found out about aesop rock through cannibal ox from their work together through the atoms family.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:56 pm
Dee

random_sample wrote:
blah blah blah.

I agree, very much. In fact, there were too many quotes to choose from, so I put up a representation.
I think the line you're thinking of is something like "they think they're bigger than the inner city tune is" or something. But yeah, I agree completely, and that is similarly why I prefer Slug and El-P to Dose.
You say words good. Me no good words.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 4:10 pm
Leyburn

random_sample wrote:

*snip*

artsy emcee's think there better than the inner city kids

How exactly did you come to this conclusion? I have never heard anyone from Anticon say they are better than other MC's. So either you have seen some interview or quote somewhere that I haven't or you are making things up.

Hey lets look at this quote from a Dose One interview.

Quote:

Q. Who were some of you influences in Hip Hop?

A. You name it, I even liked Rumpletilzskinz. Epmd, Gangstarr, 3rd Bass, KMD, De La, Fellowsh ip, and of coarse all the people who I have met and recorded with on the underground: 5 Deez, J. Rawls, Anticon, Rhymesayers, Aesop Rock...

Really, from what I have seen the peeps in Anticon don't think they are any better than anyone else out there. They do what they do and some people like to make blind assumptions about it. If you don't dig it that's cool with me. But is all this shit talking really needed?

Also I think you should cut the talk about what Hip Hop is or isn't, can't music just be music and we leave it at that? Can't it just be THAT simple?
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:28 pm
futuristxen

random_sample wrote:
from what I know, def jux found out about aesop rock through cannibal ox from their work together through the atoms family.

From another Dose-One interview:
(About Aesop Rock)
"You know we found him via Slug - we heard a demo and hunted down his phone number and helped him be a part of the same spotlight - same thing with Labtekwon and Radioinactive - like all those guys who are kinda alone where they live - because there's not a lot of progressive hiphop in New York city aside from Ozone and Aesop Rock, it kinda contains itself."

A lot of you all are severly limiting in your perspectives on Dose-One. He's not really concererned with "rapping", he's not trying to compete against the "inner city tune", he's competing with people like Boards Of Canada, and Hood. His roots are in hiphop. Just like all those anticon cats. And those guys are a hundred times more hiphop than 90 percent of the people who bash them. If you've ever read anything from them about their influences, like that dose quote, they are pretty grounded in hiphop culture. But they don't let all the bullshit posturing get in the way of doing what they want to do.

As far as moving units. Last time i heard they were all living off their music and touring extensively. So I think they're doing well enough. Which is pretty good for a label that had to start up on its own, and one that has had to put up with all this bullshit resentment.

Not everyone can have Rupert Murdoch backing them.

You wanna talk about annoying backpackers? Talk about the label with the trucker hats.

seriously, some of y'all are just too silly.
It's bananas.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 5:46 pm
Royal-T

Futuristxen: Exactly. You've written what I'm too lazy to write.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:17 pm
Dee

I don't think El-P is talking about dose. I think he's talking about doses' fans.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 9:51 pm
sequence

he's more likely still talking about Sole, I'm not sure why he'd even care about Dose One.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:03 am
Dee

True.
And that line that Sole misinterpreted as a diss was actually a Run DMC reference.

Yeah, Sole knows his hip hop...haha.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:19 am
futuristxen

As much as I want to respond to your questioning of Sole's hiphop credentials...it's really not my concern. If you want to quiz sole on hiphop, I think he's on tour right now, but I'm sure if you sent him an email (look around on anticon.com--I'm sure it's somewhere there-- possibly soleone@anticon.con) he could properly represent his credentials for you to approve of at his nearest convenience.

But really nothing else needs to be said. You don't like Sole or Dose or the word Anticon, because for one they have shitty annoying fans. And you're not at all about putting up with an artist with shitty annoying fans.

So let's leave it at that.

don't take this the wrong way, but your bored and you just want to argue for arguements sake.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:06 am
Dee

Bored? Yes.
Arguing for arguments sake? Doubtful.

I don't hate anticon because of their fans. I hate them because they bore me to no end.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:07 am
mack-mode

a chronic case of hip-hop a.d.d.
Post Thu Nov 21, 2002 1:20 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next