Search
Register
Good People Check: Is this really a diss track to Slug
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Random Sample

sequence  Reply with quote  

my bad I would have but I don't have the cd in front of me. And I am not sure if it says it on the vynil which I own. I will admit when I am wrong with facts.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:52 am
sequence

yeah  Reply with quote  

you're also obviously 12 if you assume _everyone_ in the world wants to be rich and famous. I could give a fuck, and so could most artists. We all want comfort to a certain degree but 'getting fat cash' or whatever the fuck you said doesn't have anything to do with my goals nor does it have anything to do with most artists projects. If the money comes it will be an incidental consequence of me achieving my goals and I'm sure someone like Dose One would feel the same way.

By the way he is fantastic live, performances can be about more than throwing your hands up. Go back to study hall.

Adam
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 11:52 am
Random Sample

I think that the beats are nice I have nothing against the production.

There is no way that cLOUDDEAD has sold more than atmosphere. Atmosphere has been on everywhere for years now, and not just last year. Slug is definitely not in the same place as Dose. he is so far ahead of him.

Every artist wants to be heard. They want to be heard by everyone and not by some sub-culture, within a sub-culture, within a sub-culture. Any artist that tells you that they only want there music to be heard by these kinds of people, or this kind of person is a liar. Artists want as many people to hear there music so maybe they can sell an album and make some loot.

I am not saying that he could achieve the pop-popularity of slug. He chose that way when he changed up his style.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:05 pm
Random Sample

I am not talking about being Jay-z rich and famous, I am talking about being able to live your life very comfortable and to not have to work at a job. I know that when I make music I want to get paid, if you don't you are lying to yourself. I am not talking millions. I would be happy with making the money that I do now off of music without having to wake up before noon.
I know what a good performance is and what is not. I saw DJ Shadow last night and he put on a good performance and I never raised and arm. I go to see a lot of jazz concerts and I can tell which ones are good performers and which ones aren't, and I don't have to throw my hands up. I have been out of study hall for years now dumb ass and I was probably listening to hip hop before you even knew how to read, And I probably have seen more shows than you too. so don't tell me about live shows.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:20 pm
BiPolar Barer

until you see dose one rock a live set than keep it closed because he is one of the most animate personalities in the biz. I especially like him with boom bip. I have seen slug and dose one and I am confident in saying dose one is ten times better than slug live. I like the point that was made asserting Good People Check is a diss to dose himself...I could see that.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:43 pm
Random Sample

arguing gets us nowhere. it is all opinions anyway. You like Dose and I think he is wack. I like slug and you think he is wack. We could wax intelectual here all day, but it would be a never ending argument.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:51 pm
BiPolar Barer

word
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:52 pm
sequence

thing is  Reply with quote  

You're telling a slightly different story now than you were in the previous posts. I don't care how old you are, you came across as rather juvenile and immature insofar as your worries and concerns go, and that is how I gauge things. We can start counting shows if you want, not that that is going to prove anything. Technically it would be cheating as I've ran sound at 3 clubs in my life and thus have seen shitloads of performances by asshats that I have no interest in, it seems to be an infinite number when I reflect upon it.

What you need to stop doing is assuming everyone functions the same way you do. Yes, of course I want people to come watch me deejay when I spin, and like my mixtapes when they buy them, and when I write stuff I hope people dig that too, but it doesn't have to go beyond that. In fact there are plenty of artists in history who didn't even want their work read. Franz Kafka for example, and I'm sure there are plenty of musicians in the same boat. I make beats that stink because I enjoy the creative process, I also play in a couple bands that never play shows, simply because I like to make music. It's fun, it's invigorating, it's cathartic. In fact a lot of the times I'd rather NOT have a crowd around when I deejay, I like to do it by myself, for myself.

I agree that most people desire to make money when they produce art, however this isn't a rule, it's not binding and I can think of tons of counter-examples. You are putting forward your judgment on this situation as if the fame one achieves is the ultimate measure of success...that in my eyes is a rather small-minded view. You've been programmed, step back and think sir. I'll address you as such. My fighting is over, now I just want rational conversation. You probably are older than me, I'm a youngin', a walloping 22 years old with about 10 years of purchasing hip hop under my belt, but that doesn't place the validity in your hands if in fact you are older than me and bought Raising Hell before I did.

Adam
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:59 pm
BiPolar Barer

who wants to buy art that was manifested out of a greedy need for money...i will never buy into a reality that originally bought me
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:07 pm
BiPolar Barer

dont get me wrong i like money b/c i can purchase musical instruments and cds, vinyl, and other great shit but that is why i work a 9-5...when i make my music it isn't made to make money like i said that is why i work a 9-5. This kid needs to hear some Mr Lif and Aesop Rock to clean his dirty mind
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 1:09 pm
futuristxen

cLOUDDEAD has sold more...but it's worldwide. clouddead was huge overseas. Dose is plenty successful.

And obviously Slug is doing very well.
The both of them are heavyweights within the underground.

It's funny, whoever said they hated anticon and started listing exceptions...DPD, Advancement of Hiphop, and Personal Journals...That's a sizeable portion of their catalogue. A lot of their stuff is released through Mush. You should listen to Bottle of Humans probably, that's another dope anticon record from that era. And Alias dropped a nice album this year that everyone has slept on.

I don't understand why people don't get more into Alias, because he is not some abstract dose one weirdo. He's probably more down to earth with his lyrics than slug, and his production shits on anything Ant does(and I like ant's production)...but just try and tell me Watching Water isn't dope.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:14 pm
BiPolar Barer

word alias' album is nice
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:16 pm
Cru Jones

get the alias instrumentals to other side of the looking glass.
it is only at HHI.
it is amazing.
i appreciate that album so much more now.
and i liked it alot already.

they are hard to rhyme to if you are into that.
it's a fun challenge.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:27 pm
Random Sample

I just typed this huge fucking post and I got logged out cause I took so long and it is all gone now. Well I will have to write it up again.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 2:35 pm
futuristxen

random_sample wrote:
I just typed this huge fucking post and I got logged out cause I took so long and it is all gone now. Well I will have to write it up again.

damn that sucks. Sorry dude.
Post Wed Nov 20, 2002 3:00 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next