Search
Register
Good People Check: Is this really a diss track to Slug
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Sad Town,
that's the problem with people who dis Dose. They say stupid shit like "He can't rhyme!"

Yes...he can rhyme. And he can rap better than 90% of the people who choose to rhyme "cat with hat" every song.

I agree, Dose is most concerned with using his voice as a rhythmic instrument. But he is using his voice...and if he has a point to make AT ALL...he should take the time to construct that thought properly and SAY IT.

It's not an easy task...and what he calls "cheating"...could very well be mirrored back in his direction.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 2:41 pm
futuristxen

Sage I think you've hit the nail on the head. I'm a fan of both of these guys, and I own a lot of their stuff(not on cd-r).

It should tell Dose something, if he even cares, that the best song on the No Music Lp is Good People Check, which is also the most straight forward. It's time to stop experimenting and show some usefullness. I think Dose has developed his voice into a wonderful tool, but it's just kind of sitting on the wall right now. If he has something to say, he definitely has the skills to say it at this point in his career.

I think both of them need to be dissed. And there's not anyone better than Dose to diss slug and no one better than Slug to diss Dose. Slug needs to avoid becoming formulaic, he needs to be challenged and move more to the middle of the spectrum. Whereas Dose has gone too far off into whereever and he needs to be reeled back in a bit. And who better than Slug to do it?

Because they have in a sense become polar opposites, and not per se in a good way.

Artists like yourself, Qwel, and Sole kind of represent that middle ground that proves you can make songs artfully but still understandable.(And yeah there's probably a few others, but that's the first one's that came to mind that fit.)
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 3:39 pm
Cire

I havent heard the song yet...

I mean, i respect dose for having his own style, the uniqueness of it is cool and all. But i feel slug a lot more considering i can relate to what he is saying mainly due to the fact that i can understand him.

Right now i'm listening to the orphanage freestyle. Where slug and Eyedea go back and forth. It's tight. Than Mr. Francis comes in and says "why are y'all allways fightin'"..lol

Vote-Sluggy
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:48 pm
futuristxen

"You sound hollow, this upsets me
you didn't always. . .
You can tell a lot about a man from the sound of his music.
Yours is hollow sounding

Frankly, you've become suckers

this is a dissong dissong absolute
because you can't respect me
because I can't respect you

this is a quiter's anthem this is why you should quit"

kinda really harsh. And honestly a lot of Dose's music can be accused of sounding hollow far easier. I do wonder how much of this might be self-deprecating in that sense.

and it goes on from there. give the song a listen people. it's actually the best song on the album. It's pretty easy to understand. Just not easy to understand who it's about.

funcrusher put the link to the realaudio on the first page if you don't want to go out and buy the album.

you really shouldn't review a movie you haven't seen.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 4:56 pm
sequence

yeah...  Reply with quote  

Assuming it's a diss at Slug, I appreciate it in it's poignant simplicity, however if this comes to a 'battle', I can't imagine the degree to which Dose would have to change up his steez in order to be able to 'compete' in most folks eyes. As Sage said, Dose can rhyme...for sure...listen to Hemispheres for christ sake. As far as The No Music goes, I actually prefer Dark Sky Demo to Good People Check goes as far as the 'rap' tracks go, and if he rhymes over beats like that, he can't waver and has to kick it straight-forward and hard. However I love the rest of the record as well, I like the changed-up shit, I'm a fan of Charles Simic's poetry too, so hey, obscurantism is my middle name.

I personally hate when two artists I like start battling each other, I think it's so dumb. I'm actually disappointed that Dose started this, no matter how strongly he felt about it because now I'm going to have to read millions of wieners bitching even more about him and his weirdness. I love his new material, the Subtle EP's, all the cLOUDEAD stuff, anything else artsy-fartsy faggy. I think of him as the new Mike Patton. And to be honest, I don't like GLU very much at all. It's not that I think it's a step backwards for Slug or anything, I just feel that he can only produce so much output with the exact same flow, style, and subject matter, particularly if he is going to keep working with ANT. So while I think the album is of comparable quality to the other work he's done, I'm getting bored with the formula. Maybe as someone said this will inspire him to change up a bit, however more than likely it will push him further into the Living Legends camp-style, backlashing even more against anticonish material.

These two battling is silly and is probably going to get ugly...so we'll have to see, however voyeuristic and stupid I feel about it, I'm interested to see what is going to happen.

Adam
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 8:25 pm
stretchMIND

"kinda really harsh. And honestly a lot of Dose's music can be accused of sounding hollow far easier"

Hollow? no. Doses music does have meaning behind it, just look at how many ways this song can be interpreted. Its a diss to hip hop in general i think. Fuck everyone in this board for the sheer fact that everyone is a lazy listener. you want your stupid "hip hop" lyrics to be spoon fed to you and you think its to "abstract" or fucking "cryptic" if you have to actually think about it. Doses lyrics are fucking art, you can interpret a painting whatever way you want, thats what true art accomplishes. Now lets talk about how "far" dose has gone. He has progressed as an artist, he isnt becoming to "weird" or he hasnt gone to far. He was rhyming better than almost any mc is today years ago, look at subtitled and untitled. Now look at the direction in which slug has progressed. Look at overcast! and Lucy ford. both very good albums, in my opinion he came stronger on overcast. now look at felt, and god luves ugly.
his lyrics have fallen off, and he has gone down hill in my opinion. his lyrics on god luves ugly are terrible and making an album dedicated to christina richi was a bad decision also. this is my opinion, fuck yours.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:27 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

oh jeez
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:40 pm
sequence

I have a similar reaction to Sage to this statement...in the future let us all attempt to avoid claims about what is 'high art'...and what it means to be art, this is a disaster area.....
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:41 pm
stretchMIND

damn i guess i said something "gay", guess i should "think" before i state my opinion. I really want the approval my fellow posters.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 9:47 pm
pav

i don't really want to get in this but i just wanna say that slug's verse on "annerusym" is the most impassioned one i've heard from him since lucy ford/sad clown/deep puddle material..

oh and i like the new them album
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:01 pm
sleeklegend

Personally, I think Slug's lyrics are definitely poignant, and although his words are supported by how emotionally he delivers them, the shit he says often times is ambiguous and I think does "fly over heads", at least a lot of people's heads that I know. You can understand the general gist of what he's saying, largely guided by how he says it, but the actual words themselves often seem to be lacking concrete meaning, yet not as removed and advanced as some abstract shit. So I'm left kind of unimpressed...not necessarily because he doesn't fit into a little box I made, but because he seems to be trying too hard with the way he executes his songs. Then again, maybe I'm just not reading enough into it to understand it all, or it could be "left to you to interpret"...which is kind of a cop-out for a rapper if it holds no actual meaning/thought behind it to the rapper himself. Anyway, peace.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:01 pm
sequence

This isn't me disapproving, it's requesting that you have a some acknowledge the arbitrary nature of your assertions regarding what is and is not art prior to coloring them as the gospel truth. Sorry, I know it hurts, but think. Realize there are numerous ways of determing art from non-art, and yours isn't the only perspective...so provide us with sound and valid argumentation....bitte.
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:06 pm
stretchMIND

hahahaha
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:06 pm
Prontoid

futuristxen you basicallly said wat i was thinking......

just to whoever said Dose doesnt have songs better than Gods Bathroom Floor or Woman with Tattooed Hands.....

i'd say Eating Homework shits on both of those....Its Them also....the third track on Side A of THEM and the first track on Side B about the machines are also classic.....

but hey.....i think Program to Hunt 2007 is one of both of their best tracks....

peeshe
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:12 pm
BiPolar Barer

I hope those who are saying dose cant rhyme and those who say he never says anything great have heard Hemisphere which in my opinion blows anything slug has done out of the water. hemisphere is fucking an unbelievable album. I hope people don't write off dose one as being some artsy fag just because they are too lazy to sit and listen what he is saying. I will agree with the remark that he sometimes uses his voice as an instrument. I love him because he is so cynical and makes fun of so many people in a very tasteful way. I especially love that collabo he did with aesop rock on float. Brilliant stuff. Dose is also one hell of a performer...one of my favorite shows of all time was Dose One & Boom Bip, Clouddead, Radioinactive, and Labtekwon. Labtekwon wasn't too good, but everyone else was excellant. I here RAdioinactive is going to do a collabo with Bus Driver. That would be awesome i just hope radioinactive doesn't fuck up the production like he did with his solo album. Peace

Thaddaeus Beardless in Kentucky
Post Sun Nov 17, 2002 10:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next