View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

DM

PSC mentions Sage......  Reply with quote  

I can't make it link, so......

1)go to www.llcrew.com
2)click on PSC
3)click on his interview

...what chall think? I'm Asian and I would never buy an album because it was MC Bruce Lee. Fucking ridiculous how he assumes white people dig Sage because they are white. The connection he makes between Sage and his fans are lame and irrational. Agree? Disagree?

On the another note, I would love to hear that song with Slug, Murs, Psc and Aceyalone though!

Abacus
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 6:51 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

so PSC says:

"Black underground Mc's get less and less love. (Im not bitter or jaded... I run with 2 of the tighest whiteboys in this EVER so I can always be a hypeman in the future!!.) But its parrallel to Rock and Roll back in the day. Some of these white heads wanna power associate and enjoy this music.... Minus us. Im gonna use Sage Francis in this next example but no disrespect 2 him I like his stuff* Little Brad might gravitate to Sage solely because Sage looks like his cousin Arthur and that makes him feel closer to him and it makes Brad feel like he can rap too. Everything goes in cycles."

I shrug my shoulders.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:09 pm
DM

I shrug my shoulders.[/quote]

HaHaHa. He should improve his raps instead of emphasizing race.

I like some of the Legends though.

Abacus
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 7:49 pm
Dee

Fucking ridiculous how he assumes white people dig Sage because they are white

Um....I disagree.

I think a lot of people like him because he is a good artist that is white. Same reason Eminem has so many fans, but on a smaller scale.

Thats not saying that most sage fans or racist or something...just that it would explain the success of white MCs in the underground.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:05 pm
HeavensDevil

Im thinking more along the lines that Sages delivery, content, and lyrics are better than those of Nelly, Ja Rule, and the new Fat Joe.

Maybe thats why people like him. Maybe.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:28 pm
califunky

DUDE! Sage is WHITE? what the fuck???? damn, i gotta stop listening to his shit now...

c
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:37 pm
Machiavel

djdee2005 wrote:
Fucking ridiculous how he assumes white people dig Sage because they are white

Um....I disagree.

I think a lot of people like him because he is a good artist that is white. Same reason Eminem has so many fans, but on a smaller scale.

Thats not saying that most sage fans or racist or something...just that it would explain the success of white MCs in the underground.

man i disagree, i was talking to these kids that are into hip hop, they thought sage was a big black guy. It really didnt matter to them that he was white. I told them he was white as the frigid north, they were practically supprised but i dont think it made a difference to them.

and actually i have never even heard anyone even mention that he was white. It seems more like a conclusion that somone would make based on assumptions not on any type of research. but either way.

Last edited by Machiavel on Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:48 pm
Machiavel

Right, repost or something?
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:48 pm
Path

djdee, you still are my favorite village idiot.

what a stupid generalization. christ.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 8:54 pm
futuristxen

maybe...just maybe...it's about skills. Anyone who has ever been to a Sage Francis show, would have to be fucking retarded to not come away in awe.

Sage Francis was a poor example of the point PSC was trying to make.

You know what example I would have used?

Paul Barman.

that is all.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:16 pm
DM

Barman is garbage novelty. I do like his beats. But, I really don't think Sage's apeal has anything to do with his whiteness. Maybe some...some idiots.

Abacus
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:20 pm
unspoken_disagreement

califunky wrote:
DUDE! Sage is WHITE? what the fuck???? damn, i gotta stop listening to his shit now...

c

I didn't get the mullet for a while, so I actually didn't know sage was white for like 6 months. I know this guys was talking out of his ass, but still.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:47 pm
Fladlien

Before this morphs into a Barman thread, let me just say I agree with PSC.

*Shrugs shoulders, then does the running man*
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 9:49 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

i agree with him too, to an extent anyways.
the fact is that a lot of white kids are checking for white rappers now that there are a few that are worth listening to. that's just the truth.
i seriously doubt slug would have hordes of midwest farmer-dun male groupies if he were black. and that's not a diss towards him at all. or eminem either.
remember what isiah thomas said about larry bird? that if he were a black player, he'd have been considered good- great, even- but he wouldn't have had so many white people on his nuts. very few would have had the gall to say he was better than magic or jordan (back in the day, people said that). he would've been another isiah thomas.
of course, i think sage is one of the best today but, ceteris paribus, i don't think he would have as the same type of fans if he were black.
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:02 pm
futuristxen

I think the racism swings the other way too though.
I'll be honest, when I heard deep puddle dynamics was a bunch of white emcees, I had trepidations about actually buying it. All the rap that I had encountered was black, save for Vanilla Ice and the Beastie Boys and I want to say Beck was trying to rap at that time too, but I'm not certain.
I mean it's becoming more excepted for there to be white emcees certainly, but people need to remember it hasn't been like that until very recently. And even now, a white emcee is imediately compared to eminem whether he has a diffrent style or not.

The reason Barman is a better example is because the whole reason he is put out there over prince paul production is BECAUSE he's white, it's supposed to feed into this thing PSC is talking about. Paul Barman is playing a character...I don't think it's been as successful as was hoped though, honestly.

Besides, it's been a white audience buying into rap for quiet a while now. I mean Public Enemy in it's prime was playing to predominitly white crowds.

White people love the hiphop. And if it's good it's going to attract a following.

I don't think it has very much to do with the race of an artist.

heh, was this interview done after the Sage show with the Legends where half the crowd left after Sage got done...
Post Thu Oct 31, 2002 11:27 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next