Search
Register
peta supporting Burger King
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

just natalie

The BK Veggy burgers taste like SHIT. They are horrible. I just had one, and ... gross.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:41 pm
td3

im gunna try one

i got a garden burger at a restaurant just to try it out... it was much better than i had expected...

im trying to eat healthier... i get a salad a work everyday instead of _______ greasy cafeteria food they feed to the kids as "healthy"

PEACE
td3

Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 2:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
quasifoto

this is what i just read elsewhere that kind of cleared it up for me: vegetarians and vegans who do so for animal rights reasons (peta included), want to stop animal suffering. over 95 percent of the population eat fast food (i have no source on this so for arguements sake let's just say a ton of people). now all those people who go into burger king have a vegetarian option. all those people have the opportunity to try a veggie burger. taste is not the point here, it's fast food. if they keep them on the menu it's because they are selling. and that is taking away from the meat sales. because in large, vegetarians won't go there to eat them. so it's a bit of a shift in the publics diet. so... from an animal rights point of view, it's a step in the right direction. kind of a big step.

"i'm perfectly cool with you being a vegan. how come vegans can't be cool about other people eating meat?"--

the reason vegans have a problem is it's a cruelty issue to us. when you believe someone is doing something that oppresses others, you want to voice your concern. i'm against rascism for myself and speak out against others who act racist. of course it's not acceptable in society on that level, but i was just making a point.

And we do care about people!!! Great point about giving the ripped off food to homeless people. But no one else speaks out for animals, that's why. It's gotta be one of the smallest movements. It's not like animal issues are the only morals to us. Not at all.

Peace and love. hehe.
Post Sat Oct 26, 2002 8:34 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

i understand the cruelty issue, but what about the millions of people who are starving around the world? all this, while vegans are going to mcdonalds, ordering big macs, then throwing them in the garbage.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 11:43 am
sequence

you are severely retarded...  Reply with quote  

go read "Diet for New America"...grain can feed more people than meat ever can, most of the meat produced by factory farms goes bad and never gets eaten...uhhh...I'm not even a vegetarian and I know this shit. I'm just a selfish bastard and like fish and chicken a lot. Not being a vegetarian means you're either selfish or ignorant. I acknowledge my selfishness.

Adam
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 12:57 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

yes, grain CAN feed the entire world easily... but that would revert our diet back to that of the european dark ages, when gruel was eaten by over 90% of the population, 360-365 days per year (depending on wealth).

life expectancy was under 30.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 1:00 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

i doubt very many people have actually done the big mac thing. i think it's pretty wasteful myself.

at any rate, endorsing a major corporation that sells beef as a mission will not, in any way, alleviate the suffering of any of the world's exploited- neither human nor non-human.

the vegetarian sandwich is clearly an effort to rope the vegetarian target audience with fast food. why on earth would anyone think that most of the people consistently buying the BK Veggie would be usual meat eaters? it makes no sense. and why would peta endorse it unless it were attempting to sway the opinions of those who actually give a fuck about a peta endorsement? does the average bk customer give a fuck about a peta endorsement? no.

it is, like i said before, feelgood lifestyle moralism and it lacks a single inkling of relevence to an authentic desire for animal liberation.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:04 pm
Ironpen,Ironknee

.  Reply with quote  

icarus is on point about "feelgood moralism".

I've read reports of PETA members destroying local ecosystems by freeing exotic animals from captivity. The exotic animals took consumed all of the food supply and the indigenous animals subseqently died.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:24 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Flogg The Dawlphin wrote:
yes, grain CAN feed the entire world easily... but that would revert our diet back to that of the european dark ages, when gruel was eaten by over 90% of the population, 360-365 days per year (depending on wealth).

life expectancy was under 30.

and you're arguing that life expectancy was "under 30" [no, it wasn't] is exclusively the result of a grain-based diet?
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:29 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

it was, and a grain-based diet had to do with it. the life expectancy thing was like 10% serious.

you say i'm not helping by endorsing a corporation... but do you honestly think that anything you do will destroy the corporation and make your struggle worthwhile?
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:33 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

Flogg The Dawlphin wrote:

you say i'm not helping by endorsing a corporation... but do you honestly think that anything you do will destroy the corporation and make your struggle worthwhile?

perhaps. and then, perhaps not. and i know that i have to compromise on a regular basis- hell, i even eat fast food (subway) from time to time. compromise with these oppressive entities is a way of life and it is compulsory. but i try to make fewer and fewer of such compromises as i go along.

the necesity of compromise in so many aspects of my life makes imperative that, in one of the few venues of my life in which compromise with these systems of domination isn't necessarily compulsory (i.e. the struggle to overcome them), i shall hold on to the shreds of my dignity that remain and refuse compromise. that means, even if i can't topple burger king (or animal exploitation or capitalism altogether), i certainly won't fucking endorse them.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 2:53 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

i'm ENDORSING burger king by saying it's a good idea to sell veggie burgers?

hardly.

the fact is, if i have 10 dollars in my wallet, i'd rather spend 3 dollars at burger king than spend 9 on some veggie patty at some gourmet health store.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 7:48 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

yo. in case you forgot, we're talking about peta and activists.
i could give a fuck how you spend your money.
Post Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:23 pm
Flogg The Dawlphin

well, i don't care about peta. if they wanna spend 3 dollars on a veggie burger, that's great. no animals were killed in the making of the veggie burger, i would assume. while they are unconciously (or they just don't care) supporting a company that slaughters millions of animals, it doesn't matter because burger king is going to be around forever, and a bunch of dirty kids handing out "murder king" flyers won't change that fact.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 2:56 pm
Sarcastro

my 2 cents  Reply with quote  

just for the record, the reason that life expectancy was so low in the middle ages was not due to diet or anything like that, it was because there was such a high rate of infant mortality, and deaths among children below the age of 10, so when you average it out the life expectancy was much lower. In actuality, if you lived past the age of 15, you were bound to live until you were 55-60 years old. As well certain epidemics, and constant wars did not help the life expectancy average either.
Post Mon Oct 28, 2002 3:05 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next