Search
Register
Arizona Daily Wildcat in Tucson, AZ interview. Oct 20, 2002
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Arizona Daily Wildcat in Tucson, AZ interview. Oct 20, 2002  Reply with quote  

- What’s your age? Why did you study journalism in college? Which college was it at? What made you decide to pursue an artist’s life instead of a journalist’s?

"25. I got a degree in communications at Dean College and then a degree in journalism at URI. Journalism was interesting to me because it was a way of learning things and presenting information to the community at large. Plus, writing came fairly easy to me so I figured I could coast by while focusing on more important issues such as rap and sex."

-How long have you been writing poetry?

"I don't even know if I'm writing poetry yet. I tried to write poetry when I was very young. School projects, ya' know? Then I got interested in poetry readings so I thought I could get down. All I ended up writing was raps though."

-What inspired you want to perform your stuff live? When did you start performing it live?

"I wanted to get in front of people and show off. I did this at the age of 12."

- How can a poet expand his/her written poems to be read in a spoken word type of forum? What are some good starting tips? What advice do you have to local poets who might not have the guts yet to get up there and read there stuff yet?

"Write for your voice. Write in a way that you know you can perform it. Write it WHILE performing it to see how it comes out. My only advice to anyone with something to offer the world through their art is........love them, but fuck em."

-What kind of meaning does the spoken word type of self-expression hold for you, in other words where would you be without it?

"I would be in an unfortunate place without it. It is easily the most therapeutic and most meaningful stuff I do. No restraints. No limits. My voice and your ears."

-Did you initially have a lot of fear or catch a lot of flack with being a white male and performing what is, until recently, a mostly black participatory art form? How and why do you think this is changing and did you see it coming? Do you think spoken word/slam poetry has aided in this process?

"Of course I did. It is changing because the rest of the world is slowly adopting hiphop as their own. You can't blame them either...because hiphop has permeated pop culture for over 20 years now, so most people are virtually being born into a hiphop world. The internet has spread it to the darkest corners of Earth. It's accessible to everyone, and failry easy to participate in. No, I don't think spoken word/slam poetry aided to it much. It's a scratch in the body armor of a 3 story tank."

-Don’t you agree that hip-hop as an art form has nothing but evolution ahead of it? You seem like you’re trying to push the art ahead instead of stagnating in it like a lot of other MC’s.

"No, I don't agree. Hiphop has all possibilities ahead of it, but evolution doesn't seem to be a priority of people. Whatever I'm doing, I have no interest in rehashing the same old bullshit unless it's great bullshit."

-What are the differences you’ve found in both performing and writing spoken word, poetry, and rap and what similarities to do you see in all three?

"mommies."

-Writing in your journal years ago, did you ever think that one day someone would be asking for your advice on the craft of writing?

"Yes. Then no. Then I did again."

-Some press has labeled you as a private individual, is that correct in your opinion and how important is privacy to you, especially when weighed with the fact that your name is starting to spread now?

"Privacy is something I hold dearly and will not sacrifice for anything. Of course, I run around naked on stage every other night but that's something I don't mind sharing."

-What do you think is more important: trying to get your message out to the largest audience possible or trying to specifically target the people who you think would understand and appreciate what you’re trying to say, like your writing/performing peers? Like trying to keep it underground or going mainstream-ish? Do you feel like there’s a certain credibility that must be maintained?

"I don't target anyone. It is most important that my material reaches people who can identify or maybe benefit from what I offer. Credibility should be maintained, but I can't please everyone with all the approaches I like to take. It's important for them to accept me as a person who is trying to explore thought and emotion while staying honest to the condition of each. I will never compromise as much integrity as is needed in order to go mainstream. Unless someone makes me a movie star or something."

-Does a current Sage Francis live show combine spoken word, or do you stick to stuff off “Personal Journals” and Anticon?

"Some spoken word and a mix of songs from Personal Journals and the previous CDs. On my off-days, a few naked women. Off my on-days, naked men like what. I keep it well balanced."
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:04 pm
mc poohammer

-What are the differences you’ve found in both performing and writing spoken word, poetry, and rap and what similarities to do you see in all three?

"mommies."

^^fucking great answer sage.

-Writing in your journal years ago, did you ever think that one day someone would be asking for your advice on the craft of writing?

"Yes. Then no. Then I did again."

^^and another great one. and the best one yet.....

-Does a current Sage Francis live show combine spoken word, or do you stick to stuff off “Personal Journals” and Anticon?

"Some spoken word and a mix of songs from Personal Journals and the previous CDs. On my off-days, a few naked women. Off my on-days, naked men like what. I keep it well balanced."

^^ too good.
Post Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:23 pm

Jump to: