MessiahCarey

Who plays Civilization?

Best game ever.

Peace,
Shane
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:53 pm
caligula

Reggie wrote:
Do you realize that your second paragraph negates the first?

My point is: we don't know exactly what ancient people knew. We assume they knew less than us, but that's our own hubris. We also assume we know a lot of things because we think we can prove them empirically, but that's a whole other sociological discussion. All I'm saying is that maybe the reason we don't know everything that the ancient people knew is because they packed up their computer files and took them along on the spaceship ride to planet Atlantis near the dog star, Sirius, ya dig?

ok, so you are one of those kinds of people? look, im not going to sit here and say that your theory is absolutely wrong, because theres no way to prove its wrong, but i am a firm believer in occam's razor, and the simplest answer is the only advanced ancient people that existed are the ones we have archeological or historical evidence of.

and my second paragraph does not negate the first. we still have a much better understanding of the physical world than the ancient people _we have evidence to support their existence of_, but it would be arrogant to say we understand everything.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:54 pm
caligula

dabinduppes wrote:
Easy Caligula you can still be my friend.....I was fully prepared for attacks that would coincide for even suggesting that there might be a god.

Im not trying to convert anyone, I wouldnt even know what to convert them into...?!

no offense taken by me from anything you said, and i hope the same applies to things ive said, i just like arguing this stuff. i assure you this has no bearing to how i feel about you as a person.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:54 pm
the incredible ticktalk

and i'm not denying an existance of a higher power, i myself believe in a higher power (one which i will not go into explanation of) but i just think that should be left at that, and not taken into account so seriously when dealing with others different from yourself. and no i'm not saying anyone here is doing that....
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Reggie

the incredible ticktalk wrote:
you can learn about what ancient people were all about by studying their behaviors. These such things are documented to some extent. I just find humans as a savage race. Shouldn't we try to be above all that????

that's all i'm getting at.

How can you study ancient peoples' behaviors, since they're all dead...and oftentimes their culture has been eradicated?

We make broad guesses on shards of pottery and under the assumption that they were less technologically apt than us, but really, we have no idea.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:56 pm
caligula

you can learn about what ancient people were all about by studying their behaviors. These such things are documented to some extent. I just find humans as a savage race. Shouldn't we try to be above all that????

that's all i'm getting at.

i hope eventually we will get there, and i think a lot of people are taking steps in the right direction.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:56 pm
MessiahCarey

caligula wrote:

ok, so you are one of those kinds of people? look, im not going to sit here and say that your theory is absolutely wrong, because theres no way to prove its wrong, but i am a firm believer in occam's razor, and the simplest answer is the only advanced ancient people that existed are the ones we have archeological or historical evidence of.

Just for the record (and no, it's not proof) - there are tons of references to highly technologically advanced civilizations that lived on Earth before Humanity (or, this incarnation of Humanity, of course).

The Hindu texts make reference to Nuclear fallout and mushroom clouds, for example.

Charles Berlitz wrote many books that touched upon this.

Peace,
Shane
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:57 pm
the incredible ticktalk

religious texts document a lot. it's not like were in total mystery of what happened here on earth before us.....as far as human civilization goes, and i mean just that civilization, not the cromagnum man or any shit like that.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
caligula

you dont happen to have any links on this subject that i could peruse do you? because frankly this is news to me and i am unprepared to debate this.

edit: this is to messiah carey
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 12:59 pm
the incredible ticktalk

technologicly advanced race of humans long before the roman empire? using nuclear weapons and things of such....well yeah i could say, what if like the first ever humans lived like the jetsons and stuff, and that's all good, but to me that just sounds silly....these things are irrelevant to the original statement
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:04 pm
Reggie

caligula wrote:

and my second paragraph does not negate the first. we still have a much better understanding of the physical world than the ancient people _we have evidence to support their existence of_, but it would be arrogant to say we understand everything.

In your second paragraph, you said, "We just make up the best theories we can."

In the first, you said, "[Ancient people] didn't know about electricity, or diffusion, or nuclear effects."

From that, I can glean that neither do we. We think we know, just like you think you know that occurrences cannot be rationally attributed to supernatural beings, or like you think you know what happens during an atomic explosion. You don't, nobody does. We make assumptions and build on those assumptions with more assumptions. But wipe them away, we're all still trying to bang on rocks to make fire.

Consider that those that believe and have faith in God are not wondering about these kinds of things. They know, and already have all the answers they will ever need. Doesn't seem like they're very disadvantaged to me.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:05 pm
the incredible ticktalk

just like us you think you know, but really don't.

that's humans for you.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:06 pm
Reggie

technologicly advanced race of humans long before the roman empire? using nuclear weapons and things of such....well yeah i could say, what if like the first ever humans lived like the jetsons and stuff, and that's all good, but to me that just sounds silly....these things are irrelevant to the original statement

The original statement in question was exactly that "ancient peoples" were less technologically advanced and therefore made up God to explain things away.

Seems like a liberal and unsubstantiated jump to make, in my opinion, and it is completely relevant to the discussion.

Don't be mad, we're discussing.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:07 pm
the incredible ticktalk

i'm not at all mad. I pointed out that i was speaking of technologicly advanced human civilization that we know of. Because this is all i can base my opinion on. If i'm going to factor in all the what if's i might as well just go talk to a brick wall.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:08 pm
Reggie

i'm not at all mad. I pointed out that i was speaking of technologicly advanced human civilization that we know of. Because this is all i can base my opinion on. If i'm going to factor in all the what if's i might as well just go talk to a brick wall.

See, you're picking and choosing what's true and what isn't to support your initial statement, and you're taking this too personally.

I don't have better knowledge than you on the subject of whether or not God exists, but I am prepared to admit that. You, apparently, are not. If you thought anything was going to be solved on the non-prophets message board, then you were very mistaken.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 1:11 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next