Search
Register
Abraham Lincoln
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

JTP

applies to yourself wrote:

Goddamn moron, you just don't stop.

Yes, the 13th Amendment officially ended slavery, thus freeing the slaves. Lincoln the greatest abolitionist of all time? Do the names Frederick Douglass, Thaddeus Stevens, and Charles Sumner mean anything to you? Obviously not. Heed your own advice.

Very good in pointing out that it took two whole years for slaves to be freed after the Emancipation Proclmation.

Amendment XIII

Section 1. Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction.

Why was this amendment necessary? Hmm let us think...
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:42 pm
prolifik

Exactly. Frederick Douglas devoted his entire life to abolition and equal rights, but he couldn't come anywhere near the impact that Lincoln made with the Emancipation Proclamation.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:42 pm
JTP

Exactly? Exactly what?
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:43 pm
prolifik

Do you not understand what the word Emancipation means? Lincoln freed the slaves in 1863, and it was put into the Constitution two years later, so that slavery would never be permitted on US soil again. Are you completely inept? Emancipation Proclamation = outlawed all slavery.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:44 pm
prolifik

If you want to examine whot the greatest abolitionist was, you probably are going to want to look at who caused the greatest impact. Nobody comes anywhere near Lincoln.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:46 pm
JTP

Man, I don't know who to believe. The historians who have studied the events indepthly, or some guy who thinks his opinions are fact. I'm torn here...
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:47 pm
prolifik

thought pauper wrote:
Exactly? Exactly what?

That "exactly" was directed toward djdee.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:48 pm
prolifik

thought pauper wrote:
Man, I don't know who to believe. The historians who have studied the events indepthly, or some guy who thinks his opinions are fact. I'm torn here...

If you can show me a historian who believes that Frederick Douglas caused a bigger impact than Lincoln's FREEING OF THE SLAVES, then go ahead and show me.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:49 pm
JTP

Philip S. Foner, Nathan Irvine Huggins, and Benjamin Quarles to name a few.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:51 pm
JTP

...or you could visit your nearest college and speak to a professor from their History department.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:53 pm
prolifik

What are you joking? Not a single one of those three authors believe that anything comes near the Emancipation Proclamation. They studied the life of black people before and after freedom, and on the impact that people like Du Bois and B.T. Washington had on their daily lives. Get real here buddy. If it weren't for Lincoln, slaves would not have been freed in the South, even after the Civil War was over.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:00 pm
JTP

Where are you pulling this stuff from? It appears to me you are not familiar with the work of these historians. Each one has specifically written about Frederick Douglass and his role immense role in emancipation, while acknowledging how little the Emancipation Proclamation actually accomplished.

If the 13th Amendement had not been passed, then African-Americans would still be slaves in this country. What does that mean to you?

You need another historian? Here I'll include a link so you can actually READ what this one has to say.

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/eguides/afam/emancpro.html
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:13 pm
prolifik

You have made it more than obvious that you are beyond inept, and because you simply are inable to graps the meaning of the Emancipation Proclamation, I deem you to be a lost cause. Lincoln outlawed slavery, and the 13th Amendment made it formal. You could not have had the 13th Amendment without the Emancipation Proclamation, because slavery would still have been legal after the end of the Civil War.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:19 pm
JTP

hit the books son.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:22 pm
Petrouchka Rasputin

You make it sound as though the Emancipation Proclamation was useless until the 13th Ammendment passed. But is it not true that the Proclamation paved the way for the 13th Ammendment? Whatever Lincoln's motives and intentions were, I have to agree with prolifik.

"Although the Emancipation Proclamation did not end slavery in America--this was achieved by the passage of the 13TH Amendment to the Constitution on Dec. 18, 1865--it did make that accomplishment a basic war goal and a virtual certainty."
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:51 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next