Search
Register
joe sacco's Palestine and Safe Area Gorazde
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > The General Forum

icarus502
kung-pwn master

joe sacco's Palestine and Safe Area Gorazde  Reply with quote  

has anyone else has the opportunity to check out these two works of comics journalism by joe sacco?
palestine is quite easily the best book i've ever read on the topic, and i've read quite a few (the best of the rest being edward said's the end of the peace process). to those unfamiliar, the book is an account of sacco's experiences in palestine, mostly interviews with palestinians, but all within the wider context of a history of the occupation and the struggle for palestinian liberation. the format through which sacco writes his story- the comic book, told in the first person- provides a certain fluidity between subject matters that would be distracting in a different medium.
safe area gorazde is his more recent book. same theme, for the most part, except this time he travelled to eastern bosnia for his interviews and history. it is perhaps a little more polished than palestine, which isn't necessarily a good or a bad thing. whereas, in palestine, as you read the story, you could see sacco's own perception of the situation changing as he learned more, his intentions in safe area gorazde are decidedly a little more concrete from the beginning.
anyway, i highly recommend both books and they can probably be found at your local library.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 10:07 am
MessiahCarey

I will read.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Peace,
Shane
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 11:08 am
icarus502
kung-pwn master

i'm still reading safe area gorazde.  Reply with quote  

it's very, very disturbing.
palestine was a fun read. i could hardly put it down. safe area gorazde... i have to take breaks from it, it's overwhelming.

just a warning. i still recommend it.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:10 pm
djmed

yeah  Reply with quote  

yeah i checked out palestine at the local comic book store...it was phat....i went to work....to make some money....then i got paid.....then i went too comic store to find out it was sold out.......now i have to go overseas so i have no money for the book....

:(

i havent checked the other one out will do tho..once i get back.
Post Wed Jul 10, 2002 10:16 pm

Jump to: