Search
Register
are clothes REALLY a big part of hiphop?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

fumbledcalligrophy

^^^

clothing in genral is
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 6:17 pm
Dee

FUCK pretentious middle class bullshit....

You think you know more than the culture? Go ahead, think it. Hip hop is just like america....it was raised in capitalism, and as such, has capitalist aspects. Including the marketing of its music and its clothing.
That doesn't make it not true hip hop.

Go tell russell simmons his clothing isn't hip hop because hip hop doesn't have anything to do with clothing...He's more hip hop than you ever will be.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:11 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

damn  Reply with quote  

You like the word pretentious an awful lot dont you?

Please give a definition to what dressing hiphop is.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:28 pm
Dee

Thats like saying what hip hop music is...you can't define it. It changes. Its urban style, from the streets, the clothes worn by young people in the streets of the cities....I can't be more specific.

I know you guys are imaging some high school kids in the suburbs wearing fubu...thats not hip hop clothing.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:34 pm
gerhupsom vanbone

Then  Reply with quote  

Hiphop is basicly a trend?

That sucks.

I always thought hiphop style was about baggy clothes and jeweley.Ima go be country now.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:56 pm
Ryan

clothing is most likely a reflection of your personality.. hip hop is most likely a reflection of your personality..

*yawn* think about it.. you're going by stereotypes.. (don't do that)
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 9:40 pm
amano

Path wrote:
"hip hop" clothing is the stupidest invention since the pet rock.

fuck consumerism.

yeah so are buyin records, cds, and other things of the like.

god forbid anyone ever startin anything inspired by somethin they love. Sorry kid, but it's been goin on long before ya think. Whether it's individuals customizin their shit they way they think is fresh, to startin yer own line. If ya don't like it, don't buy it. Doesn't mean those who do buy are mindless drones. It ain't in what ya wear, that was NEVER the point, and you don't seem to get it, it's in how ya rock it. How ya present it to express yourself in your own way as long as it's kept fresh.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:38 pm
amano

Ryan wrote:
clothing is most likely a reflection of your personality.. hip hop is most likely a reflection of your personality..

*yawn* think about it.. you're going by stereotypes.. (don't do that)

word, that sums it up.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:40 pm
djmed

what elemental magazine said.  Reply with quote  

sup,

elemental magazine #42
had an interview with fabel. the section is called "Fashion With Fabel"

you guys should read it...its pretty phat...it basically talks bout that hiphop is about making your own clothes and making up your own style...not buying pre-made styles....and it tells how fat laces came bout when...people used to take regular shoelaces and iron them and starch them...to make them fat....so go make ur own designs...or steal digital gravels designs...hehe

peace

http://www.elementalmag.com/
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:54 pm
futuristxen

ahhh pet rocks...

In elementary school we had a day where you made shit and people could buy from you. I made a bunch of pet rocks...made those people who made cookies look like suckers as I made out like a bandit.

Pet rocks bought me a coupla new ninja turtles. Let's not diss pet rocks.
Post Sun Oct 13, 2002 11:58 pm
duck_shoe

OK, so hold on here...  Reply with quote  

One has to dress a certain way to be "hip hop"? Is that what people are saying? Shit I went through the same fucking argument when I refused to rock a mohawk, and I'm sure there are some fucking skinheads somewhere arguing about who's more oi while the rudeboys argue about who's the rudest, and the metalheads make fun of someone for having the wrong metallica patch on their torn denim jacket. Point is? Everyone has this stupid discussion. Fuck it. If it's clean, and you can button it, wear it. Don't worry about being a part of a culture, they're all pretty much microcosms of our bullshit society with politics and elitists and everything else.

One last thing...am I not allowed to go to anymore hip-hop shows because I wear punk band t-shirts and denim cut offs(or dickies) with my boots and braces? Also, what kind of attire is my corduroy hat with the feather in it? I need to know so I can start listening to the style of music associated with such clothing...

XthebestcultureisbacterialcultureX
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 2:14 am
breazetcetera

my opinion. we are all intitled to one.  Reply with quote  

hiphop is more then materialistic objects. im from sacramento a place where the culture of HIPHOP is pronounced dead. me on the other hand disagree. there are a lot of stereotypes, and clotheswear isnt what makes you "hiphop" the person who spends endless time, devotion, effort, blood-sweat-and tears to make hiphop alive is what makes you "hiphop!"
ive been an emcee for a decade now and that still doesnt make my appearance hiphop, in depth it makes my soul survive because of hiphop. a big influence in my life and if i had it my way id go further and become baptized a fucking hiphop head. my big homie pops is fifty years old and dresses how he pleases, and he has no teeth at all! that still doesnt matter. he still has a love for the culture not meaningless accessories. but, dont take my word for it- murs from living legends said hes "an OG, hes more underground then UNDERGROUND HIPHOP ITSELF"(coined quote) and thats how it is and remains. its all about how you idealize yourself. if you carry yourself a certain way thats what makes you what you are. fashion is a part of scarcity. unlimited fucking wants and needs period. i could rock a fucking mic buCC naked in sacramento, california and still be more hiphop then a person exclaims themself with a fubu, mecca, p'n'b, ecko, sean jean, guess, whatever the fuck else clothesline outfit on. its all about how you think not appear. make the waves in your brain react off of cerebelum intelligence. not because you thought something would be dope. sport a fucking second hand clothestore fitter for all i care, im worried about the elements of hiphop respected not a fucking talent search for well dressed masters of ceremonies, bboy/bgirls, graff writers and deejays. if clothes were important in this diverse hobbie/love i would fucking go back to doing nothing because a run way does not belong in this culture. and thats my two sense or cents on this topic. peace. breaz etcetera.
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:20 am
gerhupsom vanbone

I am so confused  Reply with quote  

so its not what you rock its how you rock it?

So I can where me cowboy hat tight-ass pants and spurs(or whatever there called)on me boots,and still be Hiphop?

If so.How do I become country?
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:59 am
kwestchun

Quote:

FUCK pretentious middle class bullshit....

- God this guy's a fucking idiot. I've read about 20 threads in the last three days here where you use that quote or "Fuck backpackers". People would take your OPINIONS (and that's all that we really have, hip hop being a culture is personal, and has no concrete definition or description... it differs from person to person...somebody please tell this kid that) more seriously if you wouldn't attack everyone like you're the god shit of hip hop knowledge. You aren't.... I'm not... nobody is. So please do us a favor and chill out.

Thanks.
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 7:49 am
Reggie

amo1ne made a very good point, but djdee sullied it with posts like this:

"If you backpackers would back your pack and stop living in white suburbs with whitey then maybe you could backpack your back a little more pack to back, you white suburbians whiteys you."

All in all, very good thread. Kudos.
Post Mon Oct 14, 2002 9:13 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next