Search
Register
Sage is full of himself IM convo Oct 10, 2002
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

dorkasaurus

i couldn't do better, but that's not saying much at all.

i liked the piano in "serious piano," but nothing else grabbed me. i don't want to be too critical, but the lyrics to seemingly all of the songs were about how no one is as bad ass as you are. that gets tedious really quickly. i think you could do better.

colossus and the thing weren't even a part of the same superhero team. what's up with that?
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:06 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

The Thing wrote:
yeah we cant afford any good equipment ... lol so that explains the quality but thanks for the feedback

What's up, Gay Bob!.. Is this your way of saying, "We found RapMusic.com so we downloaded a cracked Cool Edit Pro and bought a LabTec gooseneck mic for $2.99 so we could pretend that we're rap superstars in our bedroom!"
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:14 pm
Cru Jones

fan of lyrics??????  Reply with quote  

you are no better than any other novice startin to rap.
just because you say you are better than everyone else doesn't make it so.
i am a huge "fan of lyrics" and your lyrics did nothing for me.
let your talent blossom then try to move some heads.
don't be so impatient.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 2:48 pm
The Thing

hey t-rex im sorry that i cant afford better equipment, so im making do with what i have. does it offend you that im not maybe as well off as you probably are ? sorry then
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 3:21 pm
futuristxen

"If you're a fan of lyrics you'll like this."

As a self-proclaimed fan of lyrics, I would have to say that I was misled.
What is so good about your lyrics?
Okay, so you can't afford snazzy production values--woooo. Ever heard of a guy named Benefit?
But economics don't have anything to do with your lyrics. Or your delivery of them. Which are both wack. It's better you find out now. Either you need to write about something less cliche, or get a much better voice or flow or whatnot.
You must be pretty twisted to decide to step up to someone who writes lyrics like Sage does, and think that shit was worth his time.

I would say you need to go back and workshop your skills before you start promoting it too much.

And samples or allusions to fight club are starting to really piss me off as the years go by. It's becoming the "cool" thing to do. So STOP IT.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:24 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I thought I was doing you a favor by changing the link to your site.
You seem to be a glutton for abuse though.

I'm not really interested in advertising your site though, so I will have to change it again. Point blank...your shit is wack...but your approach is wacker.

move on and take my criticism as charity.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 7:54 pm
mattyb

Quote:

SAGEkillz: it's definitely gay. thanks for gaying out with me though. I really appreciatiate your gayness. Keep it Gay. Gay out, gayer.

fucking classic pal
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:42 pm
The Thing

ok  Reply with quote  

heh ... i thought it would get edited sooner or later. i did get a lot of exposure though thanks. and i dont mind you calling me wack; i dont really like the style of rap you do but that doesnt mean im disrespecting you. i dont listen to rap to hear a deep message or meaning... but by the same token i dont listen to the shit they pump on the radio. honestly what i look for in rap is a beat that makes my head nod with a good melody (primo i would say is my fav producer, or maybe rza before his recent shit), and words that are clever , so i dont mind if they are talking about "thug shit" , "battle lyrics" or whatever... i like rappers like cormega, wu-tang (pre 1996), sunz of man, Big L ( he had alot of clever lines), quasimoto, im coming to like eminem now, i used to hate him but he does do some sick wordplay, gangstarr, jedi mind tracks, chino xl, juice, apathy/demigodz... anyway theres a lot more but the bottom line is...

your right, i cant write what some people would call meaningful, or conscious lyrics, or maybe i could but i dont choose to... i wrote what is entertaining to me and if its seen as shallow or WACK or whatever you wanna call it... i respect that; i dont except people on Sage Francis' fan site to like my rap... the point is... we should all tolerate. were all entitled to our own opinion so , hate on . thats cool im not a big fan of what sage represents either, i grew up probably around alot diff people than him, im from new haven, im white but lived in a dominantly black/hispanic environment so maybe that influenced what i see to be good, maybe i feel pressured to be "hard" or whatever... i dunno this is a hell of a rant but no hard feelings sage its all good
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:42 pm
futuristxen

You presume to know a lot about the type of people who are on this board.
The problem with your stuff wasn't that it was "thug shit", it was that it was NOT ANY GOOD.

There are so many emcees that do the exact same thing you are trying to do, ESPECIALLY in the underground, that you need to be GOOD at least to expect any level of success.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:58 pm
The Thing

thats cool man i respect your opinion. no hate if you think im garbage, then alright. at least give some constructive crits tho
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:11 pm
futuristxen

Don't do what you do in the way you do it, because of someone else, or who you like to listen to--do it because it's you and it's what you love to do. The most constructive thing I can tell you is to be yourself on the mic and especially when you write.

That doesn't come through on the tracks I heard. The line about The King returning(I'm only half remembering--so if I fucked the context oh well), I really don't think that's a line I should be expected to hear from any underground emcee. And really that's the whole problem, I feel like your stuff is more just rehashing other peoples music, and I guess that's becaues you're new..but really..you need to find your own voice still.

The only reason I'm even bothering with you is because there are a lot of "emcees" doing what you're doing. And so a lot of the hate isn't at you, it's more at all the wack bedroom hiphoppers that are all just waiting to be discovered. I don't know what you want to get out of the rap game. if it's just something you do for fun, you should present it like that and stop putting up this front. But if you are serious about it, then you need to start approaching it with more seriousness.

You may not like what Sage represents(and I don't think you have any idea about the man's music, otherwise you wouldn't generalize like that), but you need to educate yourself on how he built himself. This man works his fucking ass off. He is someone who is responsible for where he is in the world right now. It's not just about building some beats on the ol' computer and throwing a song on the ol' internet.

Figure out who you are, before you start rapping about how great you are.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 9:40 pm
darianluv

I just want to say  Reply with quote  

if you don't dig sages shit then why did you im him in the first place? Its normal to be proud of the music you created and wanting it to be heard, so i don't put any blame on you for that. if you like it and enjoy it then go with it. Its obvious you are diappointed with the reaction to it. I enjoy many styles of music myself, it doesn't matter what culture its from, to me good music is good music.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:14 pm
naught

Re: ok  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
thething02: i like your shit so at least give me a chance

The Thing wrote:
i dont really like the style of rap you do

The Thing wrote:
the point is... we should all tolerate.

No, the point is, you should shut the fuck up and kill yourself.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:54 am
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

The Thing wrote:
i did get a lot of exposure though thanks.

i could not flush and leave the lid up..

doesn't mean that people will like what they see..
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 1:25 am
darianluv

naught wrote:
Sage Francis wrote:
thething02: i like your shit so at least give me a chance

The Thing wrote:
i dont really like the style of rap you do

The Thing wrote:
the point is... we should all tolerate.

No, the point is, you should shut the fuck up and kill yourself.

c'mon man. what reason would you have to sound so angry w/ thing? chill the hell out. damn
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 2:28 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next