Search
Register
J-Zone says" fuck nerd rap!"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

amano

I'd much rather go to a show and be able to enjoy myself. Standin around a buncha scraggly lookin suburban indie kids who look at me dumb and actin like I don't get it when I'm not feelin droning rhythmless beats that give me a headache along with indecipherable cryptic lyrics bein spat out in an awkward manner that doesn't ride the beat in anyway isn't my idea of a good time. Not to mention the fact that there's hardly any chemistry between the audience and the performers a lot of the time. I never knew I'd be dreadin goin out to a show ever. But when 90% of the cats out there are just standin their with a blank look on their face starin up at the stage it ends up like that sometimes. Shit, that's why shows end up bein a sausage fest too.

say I'm hatin, whatever, I don't care, if it don't move me, I sure as hell ain't gonna be about it. I'm not gonna pretend cause it's underground and has mass appeal in the underground.

not to say that I'm not about lyrical content, but there sucha thing as havin good lyrics without them bein overly complex. I wanna go to a show and enjoy it, be able to take in what they're talkin about, and give and recieve the vibe that's comin off the performer and the audience, not sit there the whole time thinkin and tryin to figure out what the hell he's talkin about.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:56 pm
amano

P.S that statement isn't really directed towards anyone. That's just how I feel about a lot of shows and a lot of "underground" or "nerd" rap that's out nowadays.

pease.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:59 pm
cresmizzle

damn, thank y'all for droppin science... took the words away from me.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:26 pm
August Spies

"The reviewer needs to be slapped for that statement alone."

why? Do you think he is a better POET than anticon members? explain please.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cresmizzle

nerd rap  Reply with quote  

this topic brought up another question:
if the music strays from its original roots of african culture, if the focus on the lyrics are outweighing the focus on the drum (the beat, the vibe of dance music), is it a branch of hip hop, or is it not hip hop at all? have you ever heard experimental hip hop where you questioned if it was actually hip hop, or if it fell so far from its original roots that it became a completely different entity? are experimental mcs betraying hip hop culture or advancing it?
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:31 pm
Dee

August Spies wrote:

why? Do you think he is a better POET than anticon members? explain please.

Yes. Well, not *better* perhaps, because that's subjective (I personally do, but..) But Ghostface is definately more important to hip hop, and I think he's more creative and talented...that whole amped up stylo is raw...
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:36 pm
August Spies

well better is not ENTIRELY subjectice in the fiedl of poetry, if we consider sophistication and complexiity to make one a better poet (meaning we can, with a glance, declare Frost a better poet than a guy writing Halmark cards... maybe not though)

but anyway. Ghostface is more important to hip hop... so? What does that have to do with the quote? Also making someone more important doesn' meake him better. Ja rule is probably important as hell to modern hiph op..
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:43 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Neuro
A champion of Kurtis SP

Re: nerd rap  Reply with quote  

cresmizzle wrote:
this topic brought up another question:
if the music strays from its original roots of african culture, if the focus on the lyrics are outweighing the focus on the drum (the beat, the vibe of dance music), is it a branch of hip hop, or is it not hip hop at all? have you ever heard experimental hip hop where you questioned if it was actually hip hop, or if it fell so far from its original roots that it became a completely different entity? are experimental mcs betraying hip hop culture or advancing it?

i think they are advancing it . They are taking what it was and tryin to push it to the next level or taking their knowledge of hip-hop music and mixxing their own attitudes and styles into it.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:57 pm
amano

August Spies wrote:
well better is not ENTIRELY subjectice in the fiedl of poetry, if we consider sophistication and complexiity to make one a better poet (meaning we can, with a glance, declare Frost a better poet than a guy writing Halmark cards... maybe not though)

what the kid said in the first place is irrelevant anyway. This isn't poetry, it's hiphop. This arbuement was as I said, completely irrelevant in the first place. Before you come down one me with some remark about how wrong you think I am, I do agree that there is some elements of poetry sometimes involved in hiphop, but it doesn't always apply to it most of the time. Same thing can be said vice versa.

Quote:

but anyway. Ghostface is more important to hip hop... so? What does that have to do with the quote? Also making someone more important doesn' meake him better. Ja rule is probably important as hell to modern hiph op..

umm.. explain the logic in this because I'm not seein any here. Besides, who gives a shit if he's a better poet or not? Whether he is or not, what it boils down to is that he's definitely a better emcee. I dunno why I'm startin to argue this since he's way out of their league anyway.

so in conclusion.. blah blah blah blah blah.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 12:47 am
August Spies

Hip hop is alsmot always poetry id say. Why the fuck wouldn't it be? it follows all the basic elements of poetry (line legnth variation, word play, free form not prose sentences, imagery)

every thing about poetry we are studying in my writing class applies to hip hop for the most part.

"that he's definitely a better emcee"

to each his own.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:11 am
amano

August Spies wrote:
Hip hop is alsmot always poetry id say. Why the fuck wouldn't it be? it follows all the basic elements of poetry (line legnth variation, word play, free form not prose sentences, imagery)

every thing about poetry we are studying in my writing class applies to hip hop for the most part.

"that he's definitely a better emcee"

to each his own.

I agree to an extent but it's not poetry. There are elements that don't apply to poetry, same thing can be said vice versa. I just repeated myself you can read what I said again and take it in a bit more.

and why wouldn't he be? Cause he's not "poetically advanced" or as "progressive and innovative" as they might be? Ok, ok, I'm not gonna sit here n argue who's better. I'm tired of doin that on this board. The dead horse hit me up on the phone today and told me he wants to stop gettin beat so imma stop. It's also 3:40 in the afternoon. I'll come back when my brain is fresh.

pease.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:40 am
August Spies

I agree, no point in argueing if sole or ghost is a better emcee.

but

"I agree to an extent but it's not poetry. There are elements that don't apply to poetry, same thing can be said vice versa. "

what excatly. Don't expect me to "take it in" when you haven't said anything specific. ARe tehre elements to hip hop not in poetry? Well... yeah, the vocal preformance of it which shapes the way its written... but then again there are other types of preformed poetry which agian shapes how the poem is written.

I see no reason to believe hip hop isn't poetry. Again, it follows EVERY SINGLE ONE of the trends/elements of poetry defined by my textbook, for example.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 1:51 am
August Spies

if anyone is interested my stupid writing book on what makes a poem a poem, lots of stuff but here are the "five fundamental qualities"

1. Utilizing line as primary unit. Fucking with line legnth.
2. A heightened use of images
3. greater attention to sound of words
4. Development of rythem.
5. Creating density by implying more that is directly stated.

The book notes many poems and peom forms dont follow all 5, but they all follow #1.

Raps of course follow all of them noramally, especially 1, 3 and 4.
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 2:00 am
Dee

where's "it has a dope beat"?
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 6:44 am
August Spies

oh sorry I was saying the lyrics were poems, not that the music was poems. ;)
Post Fri Oct 11, 2002 8:57 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next