Search
Register
J-Zone says" fuck nerd rap!"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Shylax

^^^
1. Public Enemy focused on both. Terminator X had the best beats around for a while. I remember as a kid going to a party when "Rebel without a pause" first dropped. The dancefloor packed!!! D.J had to play it five more itmes that night!! "Timebomb" 'Don't Beleive the Hype" "Fight the Power". People would lose their mind at the parties. P.E rocked your mentals but also made you get down. What you know about P.E when they first came out? It was like a revolution. Butta beats and dope lyrics.

I'm 32 dog. Born and raised in the Bronx and in the seventies the focus was the BEAT. In the early eighties, cats started getting nicer on the mic but the beat was still the king. You reading your hiphop from a book dog. You wasn't at the Rooftop, roxy, Studio 54 or Latin Quarter growing up. I was.

The beat (DJ, producer) is still vital. What are you talking about?
This conversation's like "Good will Hunting" where Robin Williams tells Damon you may have read every book and learned every fact about something but if you never lived it, you know nothing.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:50 am
August Spies

yo dog, I never said the beat wasn't vital. NOr did I say public enemy rapped without beats. I said they focused more on raps than beats (how famous is termiantor x compared to Chuck D?)

anyway beats can be vital, fuck they can be the essence of the music and still not be DANCE beats.

Im glad you are 32. When did rap start? late seventies? You were not around during the begginning years of rap, so don't pretend.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:53 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SnookemsTheEvilElf

Yeah but look at the difference between good then, and good now. Good/dance beats now are often complex with many different drums, samples and such. Whereas back then from what I've heard from that era. It was a simple bassline, drumline and such. So I'll stick with saying, good doesn't have to be complex - which is actually what I meant, even though I put it across awfully :\.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:53 am
Shylax

I was born in the Bronx in 1970. I saw EVERY rapper come out...

You going to tell me what I experienced in my life? I'm giving you first hand accounts of what the atmosphere was like when P.E first dropped. How are you going tell me?
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:56 am
Shylax

And Chuck D is the front man.

Do you know Ray Manzcerek more than Jim Morrison?

Do you know Bonham and John Paul Jones more than Robert Plant?

Do you know Brian Jones more than Mick Jagger?

C'mon
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:58 am
August Spies

There are guitarists I know more of than singers

and tehre are even beat makers I know more of than rappers (el-p vs. Vordul and Vast aire)
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Thing

http://www.hiphopinfinity.com/Albums/default.php?action=review&itemid=716

maybe its just me cuz wu is my favorite shit of all time, but does anyone else think that review was kind of harsh... i think that supreme clientele is one of the best wu albums of all time, and i was severely shocked and disappointed when he came out with bulletproof wallets... they shit on "mighty deadly" calling it mighty healthy and saying the beat was wack... i dont care if it uses familiar samples, that doesnt change the fact that its a tight fuckin beat...
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:20 pm
Shylax

^^^

Whatever, dog...

The point is DANCE is the foundation. Hiphop was created in a Black and Latino surrounding where dance is a vital part of both our cultures because of the African influence. Every artform created in the black community goes back to our African heritage of rhythmic drumming and dance.

Dj's and emcees didn't perform for us to stand there analyzing their shit. We can do that at home when we listened on our record players or cassettes (I still don't have a CD player LOL). But in congregation, we danced to hiphop. Whether breaking, or the myriad of dances that came and went, WE DANCED.

I love deep lyrics but if it's incapable of moving feet, then it's spoken word over music. I wish the lyricism and social conciousness in commercial music would get better and the rhythms and attitude of "nerd rap" would get better.

Growing up. Hearing all the acts coming through in the seventies and eighties, I can tell you people went to shows to lose themaselves, dance and enjoy. Not to break down the production value or structure, validity and meaning of an emcees lyrics. That can be done on your own. HIPHOP was meant to be fun and if it teaches (Like P.E did) all the better.

Take it from a guy who fell in love with this shit since first grade (1976)....
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:22 pm
Shylax

"Now what you here is not a test
I'm rapping to the beat.
And me, the crew and our friends
are going to try to MOVE YOUR FEET"

First bars of the first rap record I heard "Rappers Delight".

That was the intention.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:29 pm
August Spies

look kid, im not disagreeing with what you just said really.
It sounds right to me.

I am disagreeing that simply because dance is an important part of hip hop, or was important in its beginnings, means that you can't have good hip hop which isn't dance music. That is all im saying. There can be really fucking amazing music which isn't made to dance to.

and thats cool with me.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:32 pm
Shylax

I hear you. There have been many great rap songs that haven't been great dance tunes. But the art would suffer if that were the norm because that's not true to it's nature. It goes against the African culture the foundation was built on.

Maybe I'm old school, but some of these underground shows are boring. If I wanted to stand and listen to poetry, I'd go to a slam at Nuyorican Cafe or something. Only one element (the MC) is being represented. And the crowds seem to think they're MCs as well critiquing content, flow etc. Even if they are, put down the pens and just enjoy. Be a fan. Save the criticism for later. At a party or show, PARTY!

That's what the music was designed for when people congregate.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:46 pm
August Spies

fair enough.
peace
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 12:52 pm
amano

Shylax wrote:
I hear you. There have been many great rap songs that haven't been great dance tunes. But the art would suffer if that were the norm because that's not true to it's nature. It goes against the African culture the foundation was built on.

Maybe I'm old school, but some of these underground shows are boring. If I wanted to stand and listen to poetry, I'd go to a slam at Nuyorican Cafe or something. Only one element (the MC) is being represented. And the crowds seem to think they're MCs as well critiquing content, flow etc. Even if they are, put down the pens and just enjoy. Be a fan. Save the criticism for later. At a party or show, PARTY!

That's what the music was designed for when people congregate.

my man, RESPECT!
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:29 pm
Dee

I agree with amano and shylax
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:35 pm
Dee

from hhi, regarding thing's post:

Though I wouldn't consider Ghostface a poet of the Anticon caliber, his style is unique and refreshing, and his delivery is impeccable.

The reviewer needs to be slapped for that statement alone.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 6:37 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next