Search
Register
J-Zone says" fuck nerd rap!"
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

August Spies

I was honestly looking forward to a response. c'est la vie
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 12:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
cresmizzle

i'm just wondering why people aren't acting live at shows any more? the hip hop crowd merged with coffee shop/open mic crowds (which are generally more serious), and is reaching audiences that are not used to going to shows that expect multiple responses from the audience while the show is happening. is it because hip hop has been around long enough for the scenesters to take over and play the wall? any ideas? someone want to put me in my place?
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 5:18 pm
August Spies

anyone who was bothered by that statment want to explain why? I still dont' see why this would annoy anyone....
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 8:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
amano

what statement.
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:16 pm
amano

cresmizzle wrote:
i'm just wondering why people aren't acting live at shows any more? the hip hop crowd merged with coffee shop/open mic crowds (which are generally more serious), and is reaching audiences that are not used to going to shows that expect multiple responses from the audience while the show is happening. is it because hip hop has been around long enough for the scenesters to take over and play the wall? any ideas? someone want to put me in my place?

I won't put you in yer place, I dunno why I'd do that, yer right for the most part.

also.. most cats who go to shows are scraggly white kids with no sense of rhythm. Not sayin all, but a lot of em are like that.

you can bet that if I'm feelin it, I'll be live n dancin my ass off, and yes, this flour doggie's got rhythm. hahaha
Post Wed Oct 09, 2002 11:20 pm
Shylax

^^ That's real, Amana.....

And I agree with 90% of what J Zone said about that.

I hate going to underground shows. Sausage fests with skateboarder type dudes over analyzing every lyric, rhyme structure and beat. Why? Analyze the record at home. If you're in the party, dance. Find a girl. Enjoy yourself.

August seems like one of those cats I would see. Probably standing there comparing the person on stage to Anticon. Relax dudes. Have a drink and enjoy the show for what it is.

Hiphop music is still supposed to be dance music. Music to move your feet and nod your head. I appreciate great lyricism but at a show I'm not worried about that. I'm concerned with getting my groove on, the performance, and if it makes me want to dance.

Real hiphop's foundation is the beat and the party. DJ's weren't throwing parties in the park to analyze the local mc's intellectual and poetic capacity. It was to have fun and rock the show.

This 'nerd rap' somehow gives people a sense of superiority. That's what sucks about nerd rap
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 7:28 am
August Spies

"August seems like one of those cats I would see. Probably standing there comparing the person on stage to Anticon. Relax dudes. Have a drink and enjoy the show for what it is. "

haha whatever. don't judge my preformace at shows by one comment I made about anticon, which is not my favorite hiphop group or anything.

im jsut sick of people on this board hating just to hate. Or at least making angry comments about things like anticon or def jux and then not following themselves up when someone asks them why that would actually annoy them....

so yes someone please tell me...
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:50 am
August Spies

"Hiphop music is still supposed to be dance music. "

ewwww.

let me suggest that hip hop is not SUPPOSED to be anything, a part of hip hop is dance music but luckily not the whole thing. Personally im more interested in good lyricism or interesting musical production than dance muisc. God im glad disco died.

EDIT: im sorry this just reminds me so much of debates with kids in the punk scene, kids who don't want the music to evolve and push new boundries. "punk is supposed to be about simple sing along music" or "punk is not supposed to be about politics" Who decides what music is supposed to be? always the kid talking.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 9:52 am
Shylax

yo,

the origin of hiphop music is still dance music, whether breaking or chilling with a girl whatever. Lyricism is great but if the beat has no rhythm then really what's the point. Hiphop is vibrant. It wasn't designed for standing around analyzing and intellectualizing. You want that go to a poetry reading.

Point blank. I'm down for expanding boundaries but what good is it if it has no rhythm or groove? It then becomes just spoken word poetry with no flow over some nerdish star trek instrumentals.

J Zone is dead on.....
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:47 am
SnookemsTheEvilElf

Shylax wrote:

the origin of hiphop music is still dance music, whether breaking or chilling with a girl whatever. Lyricism is great but if the beat has no rhythm then really what's the point.

That's something I've been pondering over. I listen to alotta stuff with what I'd consider to be awful beats if I like the lyrics. I know one of slick rick's albums (I forgot which one) got bad mouthed as the production was awful. In conclusion - i think it all depends what your lyrics are. Say if you were going for something "gangsta" that wasn't anything ground breaking, you need a great beat to back the lyrics up. But, if you do wanna say something complex/worth hearing etc.. I don't think you should want people absorbed in the beat and not paying attention to the lyrics.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 10:52 am
Shylax

^^^

The beat doesn't have to be great. ! out of 5 beats are great.

The beat HAS to have rhythm. You have to be able to move to it. It has to contribute to the flow of the Emcee.

Not some bland, undanceable new age background to spout poetry on...

Has anyone here been to a party with girls and dancing?...:roll:

Geez, hip hop's not a Star Trek convention. It was never meant to have you hold up the wall. It's purpose is to get people out their seats not vice versa. Always has been, always will be. That's the essence of the music.

What you want it evolve into a no fun, rhythmless, philosophical political format wholesale? Where's the release in that?
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:07 am
SnookemsTheEvilElf

Obviously, like you say - the beat has to have rhythm and and be listenable. That's why I think categories and stuff are important, as some categories can evolve (or de-volve depending on which you like) into something the masses of that category enjoy, whereas other 'types' of rap fans detest it. As for the party comment - I can't remember, I hate parties. :P
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:19 am
Shylax

Quote:

But, if you do wanna say something complex/worth hearing etc.. I don't think you should want people absorbed in the beat and not paying attention to the lyrics.

Why? Why can't it have both?

e.x.
"T.R.O.Y", "Mass Appeal", "I Used to Love H.E.R" etc.

Great lyrics, great beats. I still remember the words spoken by the emcee. The beat didn't get in the way....

You can strive to do both. You can be intellectual, introspective, groundbreaking and still move some rearends in keeping with the original purpose of hip hop. TO MAKE YOU DANCE
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:28 am
SnookemsTheEvilElf

Well, each to their own I guess. Perhaps I can't do two things at once.:\
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:33 am
August Spies

" It wasn't designed for standing around analyzing and intellectualizing. "

who exactly designed hip hop ?come on. Id argue that lots of early hip hop focused more on lyrics than beats (ie Public Enemy)

" Lyricism is great but if the beat has no rhythm then really what's the point. "

hip hop music can be great music even if its not dancable you know. Fuck "rock" music is about rockin out, but you can still orgasm over a slow radiohead song.
Post Thu Oct 10, 2002 11:39 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next