Search
Register
My Life in a Nutshell (for future interviewers or whoever)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

The Dead Poet

Quote:

Many friends of mine began dabbling in drugs and alcohol...I couldn't get down with that. At least I had my girlfriend of 4 years. Til she left me. At least I had my family. Til they started dying. At least I had a college education. Til it left me without a job and 30 Gs in student loans. At least I still had hiphop. Til it starting sucking horribly. At least I had me

man, thats real...

i think its a point that i'm now at...(the having me part)...

anyways...i don't want to be posting nonsense...but i am glad i stumbled upon your music...its inspiring and REAL...something that ain't out there too much so when i come across it i try and cling tight to it....
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:31 pm
Path

Sage Francis wrote:
the core of me does not have a cock or balls.

but while we live in the external, allow me to explore YOUR insides with my manhood.

hahahahah
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:31 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I'll slide myself in whenever you're ready.

And Maggy...the point of a bio isn't to "wow" you.

just trying to clear up some confusion.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 1:08 pm
Sarcastro

this is a bit late  Reply with quote  

ok on the back of sage's t-shirts it says 1968-2001, but the dates that are given in the "nutshell biography" a lot of things don't fit, like the fact that around the early 90's "My friends and I started dancing and putting together routines...going to underage clubs and battling" (emphasise underage clubs).

so can someone tell me how old Sage actually is, because if his mom took him to his first concert at the age of 20, that's a little sad....if however this actually happened, then....well, lets be honest thats pathetic, sorry Sage.
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:21 pm
Sarcastro

never mind  Reply with quote  

i found out my answer in the arizona interview post

so i guess now the question would be why does it say 1968-2001 on the shirts
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:28 pm
clout

thanx for the reflection, i wish most of us would take the time to examine who we are and where we come from, i think for the most part it might make us more sensable people.............I just hope all this passion and drive I have for this music will eventually be noticed........in my town its hard, me and my friend carry our turntables all across the city of savannah anywhere we can see fit to play...sometimes its discouraging, well most of the time it is.....most of the bars or clubs are filled with drunk army rangers blasting out nelly and puffy......on tuesday night we attend the karioki at mellowmushroom and freestyle, I am thankful for this because it is packed out, and this is the one place I can truely affect my peers with a different perspective......the only other people to free style besides me is a boy who calls himself the ritz{as in the cracker!} and usually he rants on about his rims and the 9 he does'nt own. and of course all the sheep hoot and holler because he is gonna be the next bubba sparks! :D

where words are resentful and pain is intentional you 'll find me in the middle playing the sentinal
a depleting voice....with no choice
embeds this raised brow....
skeptical as fuck abandoned luck
pulling my imagination out the blue muck
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 5:11 pm
firefly

wow

I can't wait to read your book
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 7:01 pm
dorkasaurus

Sage Francis wrote:
I'll slide myself in whenever you're ready.

patience...
Post Fri Sep 27, 2002 11:51 pm
T-Wrex
p00ny tang

Jive Kitten wrote:
T-Wrex wrote:
Now's a good time to rebel against everything..

Genre pioneers vs. current 2002 artists

Hip-hop: Run DMC, KRS-One vs. St.Lunatics, Ja Rule
Punk: Sex Pistols, Ramones vs. Blink 182, Green Day
Metal: Megadeth, Slayer vs. Papa Roach, Lincoln Park
R&B: Marvin Gaye, Al Green vs. R.Kelly, Ja Rule again
Pop: Michael, Madonna, Prince vs. Carson Daly's sideshow

They just don't promote good music like they used to..

You could have put them up against some better quality musicians Megadeth and Slayer vs. Papa Roach and Lincoln Park? What about putting Tool in the place of one of those...because they are definitely more metal than either of your choices..even Korn would have been better choice than lincoln park...come on.

If you look hard, there will always be good music.. I'm just talking about how and who are promoted.. You used to be able to turn on MTV and catch Seasons Of The Abyss on Headbangers Ball, or Yo! MTV Raps and see You Gots 2 Chill.. Now, MTV is just like your mother doing the airplane sound effects with a spoonful of Gerber, forcefeeding you some mushy crap.. When was the last time you've seen a Tool video twice in a week on MTV?.. Have you seen Stinkfist lately? Aenema? Sober? Prision Sex? I think they might've played Lateralus a month ago, but I missed it.. Where's any new Megadeth? Since the cold war ended, Dave Mustaine has become a pretty good writer.. 1,000 Times Goodbye, off of their latest album, is a well written break-up song about falling out of love, but you'll never hear it unless you own the album.. But if Papa Roach did a song, "I'm Too Emo For You, So I'm Leaving You!", MTV would be all over it, and helping them sell billions of albums, while the real talent gets left behind.. They'll play a million Britney Spears videos before they'd play any Tori Amos.. And that's just a damn shame..
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 1:26 am
MaggyMoller

re:  Reply with quote  

Sage.

I know that ;)

I'm just used to seeing people kissin famous peoples ass on forums like this. I dont want to be one of those people. Mabey I'm trying too hard to be laid back. I still think you got my point though

love
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:32 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
matt

Of course people are going to kiss his ass, it's his forum. That shouldn't be unexpected. So go ahead, it's only right. I'm sure on the Def Jux board, they're kissing El-P's ass. Same goes for any other artists board. So just do it. Pucker up. No one will look down on you.
Post Sat Sep 28, 2002 11:44 am
MaggyMoller

nope, its not my style. I sure as hell hope that Sage doesn't expect that from his fans.
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 7:36 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
WantedSpice

Evolution is sexy  Reply with quote  

You guys got this fan business so bass-akwards......People talkin' 'bout what Sage owes his fans and now you saying what he should or should not be expecting out of his fans.........

Sage is up in here on this billboard, putting up with these psychos making mad-weird demands cuz they're his so-called fans, and now you're talkin' 'bout you don't think he should expect to get his ass-kissed?

Hell, Sage is so fine, he's so highly evolved.........Y'all don't deserve him............He should get his ass-kissed really, really nice just for puttin' up with this mess..........

Here, let me go first..........

When Sage came to Menomonie, Wisconsin a little while ago, I just went cuz it was some spoken word performance down at the campus............I didn't know anything about him........

Now I've read his bio and, I don't know about the rest of you girrls out there, but to me the bit about Sage going back to his ex's is SOOO HOTTTTTTT..........

See, cuz that's what I felt I was hearing out of this guy I stumbled onto at the Heritage Cafe that night........This guy was writing about his real journey of the heart, with respect for the living, breathing, growing people that he has encountered along his path.......With deep respect for the difficulties we all have, whether we're woman-shaped or man-shaped on the outside.........That's one of the things that made Sage's work so striking to me.......

And tho there could be other explanations for it, I'm reading into this bio-factoid that Sage CAN go back to his ex's, cuz he wasn't a jerk, ya know? Sage is smooth and he doesn't burn his bridges and, to me, that is sexy........Cuz it implies that he's involved in living, changing relationships with real girrls.........Thru time........

And that is HOT........

In the words of Geoffrey Miller, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of New Mexico, "Evolution is driven not just by survival of the fittest, but reproduction of the sexiest."
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 11:19 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dorkasaurus

Re: Evolution is sexy  Reply with quote  

WantedSpice wrote:

In the words of Geoffrey Miller, an evolutionary psychologist at the University of New Mexico, "Evolution is driven not just by survival of the fittest, but reproduction of the sexiest."

i think there are many flaws with dr. miller's theory there, namely all the many fugly people that grace this earth.

but you're right. sage is soooooooo deep! he's deep like the ocean, no deeper than that. sage is like the incomprehensible depth of the universe, expanding and creating new life beyond the scope of our limited conciousness. yeah, he's like that....

i'm not touching the rest of your little monologue, though i'm sure others will.

if you're looking to see more of the softer side of sage, perhaps you should check this out. http://vinylexchange.com/movies/sage.com
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 8:43 pm
moroniQ

The question is: Does the knowledge of someone's life story actually enhance your appreciation, understandin and enjoyment of someone's music? Not that it really matters, it's just something I've been thinking about for a while. Like with graffiti, what I used to love about it (when I was younger) was to imagine what sort of person was behind the pieces, and it would always be some supercool type that everyone respected, the guy that got all the girls and always got invited to all the parties. This was a nice vision until I became the guy I used to look up to and realised the people around me were either geeks with nothing better to do or just kids that were always doing crime anyway and just didnt give a fuck.

Not that graff has anything to do with the music, but sometimes I think that if I knew nothing about the artist and could draw my own conclusions about where he's coming from,what he's about, why he does what he does and what he's trying to give you/tell you through his music, I might be able to form my own conclusions and get the message in relevance to my own circumstances. I dunno, maybe I'd just listen to the music superficially and miss the message.

In the case of sage's story I think anyone that's listened to Personal Journals in any depth will have known a lot of it already.

Sage, I'm in no way trying to put you down for giving us some insight into your life, I enjoyed the read, although I can tell there's a lot more to it. I just felt like sharing my thoughts.
Post Sun Sep 29, 2002 9:48 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next