Search
Register
my show in NYC with Alias, Mac Lethal, Odd Jobs, and others
View previous topic | View next topic >

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Strange Famous Forum > Old Shows. Come meet the ghost of performance past.

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

my show in NYC with Alias, Mac Lethal, Odd Jobs, and others  Reply with quote  

the following posts were jacked from www.hiphopinfinity.com since no one posted about it here and I'm too lazy to reiterate things:

d. b. cooper
Member # 4504

posted 07-06-2002 02:58 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My little brother in New York wrote this and I thought it was interesting. Forgive him for not being the greatest speller in the world, it was late:

Yep, see Sage live...mos def. He's up there with Mush for 'adds a whole new element' and he 'knows how to speak to c crowd in an intimate enviornment.' Fuck! He did a lot of spoken word/rhymes not on albums, and that shit was just plain butta, he's really intelligable too, which is tough, but all his shit is better live. He looks people in the eye a lot, so he's looking at me (I'm right up front) while he's doing 'Different' I think, and he holds the mic up to me while I'm rapping along, I actually heard me yo...shit was special. He also had
mc[squared] come up and do the best beat-boxin' I've ever seen, dude was fuckin ill. Good presence for both, they also bantered well. Worth my $10 alone.

Alias is mad cool too, very appreciative, personality comes across warm and he's very easy to give love to, you just want to go bannanas for the guy. The first beat he put on was 'Polk' and he remixed it a litte and tore the shit up...he did some remixes which were really dope. But the shit that the crowd responded to was 'Intake Ambience' and 'Divine Dissapointment.' Which both sounded amazing.

Mac Leathal (and his dj and the guy he was with) talented. Good stage show, funny throughout. Couldn't understand him enough though. Still, what I could here was definately promising...'My mom's a gangster' Shit was dope.

6thg Sense and his group, I'm too tired to remember right now. Dope, chill vibe, complete songs, pretty mature as a group so I don't know if I see any room for growth. Nice, easy going...if their sensability ever hardens slightly I'd probably like them more.

Lo Deck free-styled and through water on the crowd (and 6th Sense)...dude is fucked up.

Odd Jobs was poorly placed in the line-up...After Sage, who plays the scilence like a snare drum, they were loud and I just wanted them to leave...but they don't suck.

Troubador shows unrefined promise...nice beats, but I couldn't understand a fuckin word. He introduced one song as 'either about true love or masterbation.'...I bet it's about truely loving masterbation (personally).

Copped iCON's ep for $5...will tell you about it when I listen to it.

wish you were hear

peace

--------------------
contact me for one of my extra "I made an ass of myself on the HHI message boards" extra-large t-shirts

"meet me at the crossroad, pimp struts" - Brother J

"You are all just fucking unacceptable." - Lazarus Divine/Masycard Hanning

really don't contact me for a t-shirt as they don't actually exist

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posts: 1547 | Registered: Feb 2002 | Logged: 205.188.192.36

the orphan
Member # 2136

posted 07-06-2002 03:11 AM
Troubadour represent.
PL like whoa.

--------------------
PLAGUE LANGUAGE
"Sicker Than You"

iCONtheMicKing of Internet Fame
Member # 803

posted 07-06-2002 04:18 AM
MacLethal, Approach, and DJ rippin' shit...
AIGHT!!

Sage rippin shit wit MC Squared....
AIGHT!!

MC Squared....
AIGHT!!!

Understudies rockin it...
AIGHT!!!

Me being late and missing troubador who is down wit my peoples Anonymous INC....ehhhh...

Mad people leavin when Alias came on.....ehhh

Alias givin me a free CD cuz he prolly thought I was the token black kid...

AIGHT!!!

People makin mad noise when Sixth Sense was like "how many of y'all heard of iCON the Mic King," even if they was prolly lying...

AIGHT!!!

GIRLS:

This one dope chick named Lisa being lesbian and tellin me "iCON??? I've heard of you...."
"oh wait.....no that's anticon!!!"...eeehhhhhhh

This other chick I think her name was Meriam gamed me out of a cd for her number, but didn't give me the area code.....ehhhh but hahaha at the same time

The freestyle session at the end..
AIGHT!!!

LoDeck almost wettin me (PAUSE)...ehh

Pumpkinhead's a capella...AIGHT!!!

MacLethal's a capella...AIGHT!!!

Me not knowing I was on the guestlist until I got online at the show.....so I had paid already and then went and got my money back...ehhhhAIGHT!!!

me havin' to leave early to catch the last metro norf instead of chillin wit the famski....EHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Oddjobs placement in the order.....ehhh
Oddjobs energy & showmanship.....AIGHT!!!!
Oddjobs "DRUMS" LP droppin soon on Third Earth...AIGHT!!!!
Oddjobs pins leaving a weird rust stain on my white t-shirt...ehhh
Oddjobs.........AIGHT!!!

Poison Pen's line that goes somethin like "money shots on the ceiling your man asked u what's that u said the roof was peeling"....AIGHT!!!

Jeah!!! Much love to everyone who performed tonight and all the MCs I saw. Go buy everyone's LP... I had mad fun tonight....

Y'all gonna have to come back to the Knit on the 20th & 26th. I'll be there both times... with names like: Atoms Fam, Cunninlynguists, Poison Pen, Tonedeff, KWOTE Scriptures, and more...I guess someone will post info soon enough

-iCON@ImNotARapperIJustPlayOneOnTheStage.com

p.s. As I walked into the door I was attacked by someone who looked like Adam12 from Dept of Rec little did I know it was Sage Francis attempting to bring our internet beef to life. Haha sike I'm just playin...nice meetin you Sage... peash!

--------------------
Indieground Records
If you don't know I'm the best by now, fuck you I'm sick of sayin it.

Posts: 721 | Registered: Jan 2001 | Logged: 172.139.46.201

Sage Francis
Member # 245

posted 07-06-2002 01:07 PM
Tell your little brother that his kind words are appreciated.

Everybody was great last night.

Nice meeting everyone for the second and third times. heh.

Mike Ladd was there. He was standing near the merch table and I almost didn't recognize him because he was cleaned up and lost a lot of weight. Heh...I guess that's the same reason no one recognized me. But it was nice talking to him and having so many cool people at the show.

Big ups to Mr Tibbs and 6th Sense for putting this show together. I have to imagine y'all made out well.

There were a few too many groups on the bill...which wore mofos out before Alias even hit the stage. I think Alias should be injected with a shot of HATE and ANGER...and MEAN. A couple shots of MEAN actually. He was all nice and shit...throwing out free copies of his new album...being NICE. PShhhhhh....
It was a pleasure sharing the bill with my homie.

I have to give extra special shout outs to MC Squared who shared the stage with me and played along with my gameplan better than I could have expected from ANYONE.
And incase y'all are wondering...yes, I did whistle. I whistled so fucking good, mom. If you didn't go, you definitely missed me whistling. I like to whistle...and this is true.

the group that was on just before me...bananas. It was a white guy and a black guy...strange accents...and they had some really interesting stage arrangements. They had some GREAT freestyles too...shit, the white guy menioned my name and then referenced 4 or so songs of mine in a clever way. while RHYMING. Crazy shit. Be on the look out for "the white guy and black guy" in a town near you. I'm not sure if that's really their name...but it probably is.

peace to everyone who performed. Odd Jobs must have dealt with a couple WET mics...sorry about that and good job. Thanks to everyone who showed up. I had a blast.

I got home at 6 AM. Yes, I drove back to RI after the show. No, I don't want to come back to NYC for a while now.

love,
frank

www.sagefrancis.com
Posts: 366 | Registered: Aug 2000 | Logged: 152.163.207.49

Eternal
Member # 2369

posted 07-06-2002 01:21 PM
No one missing Eternal's non-presence b/c he was tired AND broke out of his mind... eeehhhhh...

--------------------
No signature needed, my rhymes close for themselves.

---Wordsmiths Music---

Posts: 1230 | Registered: Jun 2001 | Logged: 149.123.250.23

tomfoolery
Member # 1424

posted 07-06-2002 01:30 PM
Mac Lethal and Approach, PROPS ON A GOOD SET, GET HOME SAFE.

--------------------
"its like that, you know its like that, i got at him now you may never get the mic back"--Nas

Posts: 664 | Registered: Feb 2001 | Logged: 205.188.198.166

T-W.R.E.X. v2.0 /\ The Digital Dun
Member # 3531

posted 07-06-2002 01:57 PM

quote:
Originally posted by d. b. cooper:
He [Sage] looks people in the eye a lot, so he's looking at me (I'm right up front) while he's doing 'Different' I think, and he holds the mic up to me while I'm rapping along, I actually heard me yo...shit was special.

Word! When I saw him live, after Narcissist, he looked at me and said, "You've dressed nicely." I didn't know if I should've laughed or been insulted.

Sounded like fun.
Wish I could've been there.

--------------------
"...The most important kind of freedom is to be what you really are. You trade in your reality for a role. You trade in your sense for an act. You give up your ability to feel, and in exchange, put on a mask. There can't be any large scale revolution until there's a personal revolution, on an individual level. It's got to happen inside first. You can take away a man's political freedom and you won't hurt him - unless you take away his freedom to feel. That can destroy him. That kind of freedom can't be granted. Nobody can win it for you..." -- Jim Morrison

Eternal
Member # 2369

posted 07-06-2002 02:08 PM
Word... Sage makes you feel like you're the only person there.

--------------------
No signature needed, my rhymes close for themselves.

---Wordsmiths Music---

Posts: 1230 | Registered: Jun 2001 | Logged: 149.123.250.23

KWOTE
Member # 4537

posted 07-06-2002 02:22 PM
WORD!!! Props to all, purchase everyone's albums and get ready to get EXTRA!!!!! It's on and poppin, KNITTING FACTORY and that's that!!

Peaces

KWOTE SCRIPTURES
THE LOST LINK

--------------------
Take a dump on the industry to call it shitty!

pav
Member # 9

posted 07-06-2002 04:13 PM
it was a good show.. i was sort of deaded that night so i waasn't all too hype..

highlights

sage's "a world where..." bits
that understudies song with the really dope beat
oddjobs performing teh shore
alias doing "divine disappointment".. a goodway to end his set..

sage was looking really funny last night.. i'm guessing xaul zan layed back and let strange famous do his thing..
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 5:29 pm
Tony@Beyond Space

nice I can belive people were leaving before Alias hit the stage..Alias is amazing artists i hope he gets his props one day...

whistling is Hip Hop
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:25 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
argot

Eye of the Tiger  Reply with quote  

Did you do the Sage/MC Squared version of Eye of the Tiger?
Singin this song all by myself is the most loneliest song........

Peace
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:27 pm
mcsquaredbeatbox

yes, sage and i did 'eye of the tiger' last night. actually, that mp3 from napster/audiogalaxy is a recording of the first thing sage and i ever did together, before i had ever even heard him rap or he had ever heard me beatbox. as such, that mp3 is a recording of the worst thing we've done together.
last night, however, was by far the best and most fun show that i've done with him. one of the most fun shows i've ever done at all.
yay.
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 10:51 pm
Tony@Beyond Space

^ do you have any new projects coming out?
Post Sat Jul 06, 2002 11:28 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crushwhore

i heart sage  Reply with quote  

he gives me the best hugs
and always puts on a very dope show.
because of those things, i cannot resist attending, ever.

thanks frank.

much love,
amy.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:05 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Amy,
thanks for going! it was nice seeing you. I'm sorry I wasn't on for longer...but I tried to warn people of that before hand. It was a great time overall.
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 5:21 pm

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics. This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Jump to: