Search
Register
Your favorite HARDCORE groups?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

the incredible ticktalk

i've always thought that hardcore sucked, but refused was a damn decent band. They switched it up a bit with some interesting timings, and added a bit of this and that.

but my all time favourite hard-core band ever, would have to be PUBLIC ENEMY!

she watch watch she watched chanell zero
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 6:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moses

the one and only  Reply with quote  

hatebreed is the best out there as far as pure hardcore goes.
back in 95-96-97 when i was really into hxc it would've been
earth crisis
refused
focal point
despair
buried alive
by the grace of god
birthright
upheaval
snapcase
morning again
culture
day of suffering
zao
...and many more
but it did get uninspiring musically for me after a while...the belief structure is still important to me, though
Post Sun Jul 07, 2002 11:56 pm
molasses

Re: the one and only  Reply with quote  

Moses wrote:

buried alive

You must be from Ottawa.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 1:01 am
Reggie

The best hardcore band I ever heard was a group called Burn.

They are the only ones I can still listen to today.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:00 am
MessiahCarey

Heh.  Reply with quote  

Burn is decent at times.

They had a dope song on the NYHC compilation.

And they're one of the few actual "hardcore" bands that were mentioned.

Most of those bands mentioned are metal with a slight hardcore influence (especially Hatebreed - "pure hardcore"???!?!?! What the fuck?) - some of them are damn good regardless of course, but don't group them in the same category.

My favorite hardcore bands:

Sick of it All
Slapshot
Poor Excuse
Gorilla Biscuits
Minor Threat

There are others I like, but they don't deserve being called favorites.

The old incarnation of the Dead Kennedys (with Jello) are the best non-hip hop group ever though.

Peace,
Shane
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:11 am
Reggie

Dead Kennedys is probably my favorite group all around, but I wouldn't call them "hardcore." I'm a stickler for genres sometimes, I guess.

Dead Kennedys are together without Jello? Sad.

I also sometimes listen to this little-known group called Four One One, they had one lp and a couple of 7"s. Gorilla Biscuits, Youth of Today, Agnostic Front, and Minor Threat can all get a shout, though I don't listen to them anymore at all.

Members of Sick of it All grew up in my neighborhood. Bask in my tangential and tenuous fame.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 9:20 am
MessiahCarey

Ah.  Reply with quote  

Oh yes...I forgot to mention Agnostic Front - what is wrong with me?

And, if you check my man, you'll see that I only categorized Dead Kennedys as "non hip-hop" - which is wholly accurate. ;-) It was meant to be an aside but my poor post structure and ADD made it sound like I was saying they were a "hardcore" band. Heh.

The Dead Kennedys sued Jello Biafra regarding some accounting practices. Jello made good and paid them.

The Dead Kennedys also sued Jello Biafra because he would not allow the Dead Kennedys song "Holiday in Cambodia" to be used in a Levi's jeans commercial. They sued on the grounds that they would have sold X amount of albums MORE if the commercial had aired with their song in it. Jello maintained that he would not put a song that speaks of working for "a bowl of rice a day" in a negative light in the commercial of a company who perpetuated the problem he was speaking against and that his art was not for sale to major corporations.

The Dead Kennedys won and Jello (and his label Alternative Tentacles) had to pay reparations for albums that were never even sold. Fuck that, they were never even MADE. Bizarro.

Even more ironic from a group that, on Frankenchrist, backed up the vocalist as he sang "Drop your guns and your lawsuits and love each other."

www.alternativetentacles.com - Jello's label's website. Worth visiting.

The moral of the story is that, if you see the Dead Kennedys on tour right now, their new singer is Brandon Cruz - NOT Jello. NOT the guy with the poignant social commentary that wrote the lyrics to the songs we've grown to love. Don't be fooled.

AND, if the DK album you want to buy isn't on Alternative Tentacles records (because Jello also lost the rights to put out the albums on his label anymore) - don't buy it, look for a used version instead.

But yeah...that's the story from my understanding - and it's foul.

Peace,
Shane
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:24 am
MessiahCarey

Oh yeah, and who from Sick of it All were from your neighborhood?

That is my favorite HC band of all time, period. Pure genius.

Peace,
Shane
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 10:25 am
Reggie

Re: Ah.  Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:
The Dead Kennedys also sued Jello Biafra because he would not allow the Dead Kennedys song "Holiday in Cambodia" to be used in a Levi's jeans commercial. They sued on the grounds that they would have sold X amount of albums MORE if the commercial had aired with their song in it. Jello maintained that he would not put a song that speaks of working for "a bowl of rice a day" in a negative light in the commercial of a company who perpetuated the problem he was speaking against and that his art was not for sale to major corporations.

Yeah, I heard about that...he ended up having to pay $10,000 or more for that bunch of disillusioning bullshit. Guess it goes to show that ideas are not people, nor viced versa.

I have wondered though, what was the brilliant ad campaign that was going to use "Holiday in Cambodia?" I know it was probably something lame like using the opening howls and guitar riffs, no vocals whatsoever, but consider the possibilities! Large-headed Cambodians and Laotians toting AK-47s while wearing Levi's 501 jeans? Digitized footage of Nixon explaining the invasion of Cambodia in the early 70's...while wearing vintage Levi's? LBJ being sworn in after JFK's assassination...wearing Levi's button fly? If done this way, Levi's usage of the song could be the best/most appalling double entendre in marketing history.

And Armand and Pete lived a few blocks away from me, right by Flushing Hospital, when I was in junior high school. I remember they would play in this now-defunct rite-of-passage club called "Nobody's," which we liked because their shows were all ages. Imagine my surprised when I found their lp for sale at the Wiz...and that it featured a shout by the Blastmaster himself.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:55 am
Mojo the helper monkey

hc  Reply with quote  

Will Haven.

There were some other good ones posted.
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:37 pm
icarus502
kung-pwn master

i can't believe you people like zao  Reply with quote  

catharsis
zegota
refused
his hero is gone
exc and path of resistance (usually for a laugh)
los crudos
kill the man who questions
umlaut
by the grace of god
Post Mon Jul 08, 2002 6:59 pm
nintendojackson

i dont think anyone has said this band yet, but mine is bleeding through.
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 2:51 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cru Jones

good hardcore is rare.  Reply with quote  

i used to listen to alot as did lots of people i guess.
earth crisis is amazing
snapcase
and THRICE is good also they are somewhat new. check them out if you are looking for something melodic yet hard at times
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:03 am
Cru Jones

good hardcore is rare.  Reply with quote  

i used to listen to alot as did lots of people i guess.
earth crisis is amazing
snapcase
and THRICE is good also they are somewhat new. check them out if you are looking for something melodic yet hard at times
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 4:03 am
dense

apart from the ignorant religious standpoint of their earlier material, there is nothing bad about zao.... incredibly talented in all areas of the band.... (i hear the new album is much more melodic and less angry though, which seems to be the fuckin way of the world lately.... a lot of bands are becoming pussy!........)
Post Tue Jul 09, 2002 3:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next