View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

NFL PLAYER PAT TILLMAN KILLED IN WAR  Reply with quote  

Pat Tillman killed in Afghanistan

Killed in action

The Arizona Republic

Pat Tillman left the Cardinals in 2002 to join the Army.

Biographical information

College: Arizona State University.

College career: Pac-10 Defensive Player of the Year as a senior linebacker in 1997. Also honored as school's Male Athlete of the Year. The Academic All-American graduated with a degree in marketing in 3 1/2 years.

NFL career: Seventh-round pick by the Cardinals in 1998, converted from linebacker to safety. Started 28 games the past two seasons. His 224 tackles in 2000 set a franchise single-season record.

Pat Tillman, the former Arizona Cardinals safety who left football to become an Army Ranger, was killed in southeastern Afghanistan, according to published reports.

Tillman, who attended Arizona State University, returned from his honeymoon in 2002 having decided to give up his seven-figure NFL salary to join the Army with his brother.

He was with the Army Special Forces in Afghanistan, where U.S. forces have been trying to chase down Osama bin Laden and members of his al-Qaida terrorist group. During major combat in war with Iraq, Tillman was reportedly stationed with the 173rd Airborne Brigade in northern Iraq.

The Army has refused to confirm Tillman's death. He was 27.

Tillman and his younger brother, Kevin, enlisted together in May 2002, and Pat Tillman reportedly had hopes of resuming his NFL career after the three-year commitment.

"This is very serious with Pat," said then Cardinals coach Dave McGinnis. "It's not just a snap decision. You're not dealing with a guy who's real shallow. You're dealing with a guy whose waters run pretty deep."

McGinnis said at the time that the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks probably played a part in Tillman's decision.

"He said there were some personal reasons he didn't want to divulge to me," McGinnis said, "and I didn't press him on it. I respect his decision. I think it's honorable."

He made known his decision to the team two weeks after getting married and returning from his honeymoon in Bora Bora.

A seventh-round pick out of ASU in 1998, Tillman was a starter in the 2000-2001 and 2001-2002 seasons.

Tillman has always marched to his own beat. Upon entering ASU, he told coach Bruce Snyder that he was not redshirting, that he had a life to pursue after four ears of college. He graduated in 3 1/2 years with a degree in marketing and a 3.84 grade-point average.

"Once he decides to do something and accomplishes it, he really likes to do more," Snyder said in 2002. "The normal routine just kills him."

In 2001, he declined to pursue a five-year, $9 million offer from the St. Louis Rams because he felt loyalty to the Cardinals' coaches, who had taken a chance on him.

As a rookie trying to make the team, Tillman rode a bicycle to the team's Tempe facility each day because he didn't own a car. And he refused to use a cellphone.

Tillman grew antsy in the off-seasons and wasn't content unless he was accomplishing something. In 2000, he ran a marathon. And the following year, he completed a triathlon.
[img][/img]
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:44 am
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

He was very well known here in arizona..he was a bad ass

maybe this f'n war will hit home with people now

we have no business being over there
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:45 am
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

Wow, this really sucks. His mom was a teacher that I had, well a sub, but she taught us for quite a bit. I'm sorry to hear this.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:48 am
MessiahCarey

PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG wrote:
He was very well known here in arizona..he was a bad ass

maybe this f'n war will hit home with people now

we have no business being over there

Get at me with an address and I'll send you a bumper sticker, my man.

http://www.bipolardivinity.com/iraqout.jpg

I'm in agreement on that, believe me.

This is sad. No more or less sad than the loss of the life of ANY man or woman in the service - but like P-dawg said...hopefully it'll act as a wakeup call to those in the region to start pressuring their reps to actually do something (I won't hold my breath).

- Shane
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:48 am
PHIL LACIO AKA P DAWG
the godfather of troll

I agree every life lost over there is just as valuable..

whats your email?
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:02 am
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

go to www.bipolardivinity.com and it should be on the home page.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:08 am
MessiahCarey

Or shall@dfront.net if you're lazy. ;-)

- Shane
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 10:45 am
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

He turned down 3.5 million bucks to join the war... he knew what he was getting into. I think that guy was a fucking nutcase. Hmmmm, 3 million.... or war.... good choice man.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 11:26 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MessiahCarey

SneebDotCom wrote:
He turned down 3.5 million bucks to join the war... he knew what he was getting into. I think that guy was a fucking nutcase. Hmmmm, 3 million.... or war.... good choice man.

I don't agree with his choice.

But he felt he was doing the right thing. And you laid it down...3 million....

Put it in context:

Take 3 Million dollars or do what you think is right?

THAT's the choice...even if I disagree that it was the right thing to do, y'know?

- Shane
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:26 pm
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

SneebDotCom wrote:

it was more than 3 million too. it was like 9 million over 5 years with the rams.

personally, i fucking hate the war and i hate bush but i think what tillman did is one of the most incredibly heroic things ive heard. not to mention that he went from NFL in 2002 to Army Ranger in 2 years. i dont know much about the pecking order or the time it takes to get to a certain level but that sounds insanely fast which means he must have had some incredible determination.

this is truly a sad situation, as is every death related to these ridiculous situations.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:32 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

You know who else gave up 9 million dollars to do what they thought was right? The nazis.

I am hilarious! Seriously though, right or wrong, that guy made one horrible decision and now he has to live with that for the rest of his life.

Last edited by SneepSnopDotCom on Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:44 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MessiahCarey

SneebDotCom wrote:
You know who else gave up 9 million dollars to do what they thought were right? The nazis.

CANCER MERCHANT!
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:44 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

I thought the Nazi's actually bolstered Germany's economy, I could be wrong, but to tell you the truth, in war 9 million is a pretty cheap cost for all they did.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:45 pm
still illiterate

I think it was a foolish decision to go. $3million dollars is not something that everyone can earn. If he were to give that money to charity or invest it in the community, it would have done the world a lot more good then whatever good came from his senseless death.

With that said, he's a more brave and selfless person then I. RIP to everyone who has died a senseless death,be they American, Iraqi or Afghani.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:08 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

MessiahCarey wrote:
SneebDotCom wrote:
You know who else gave up 9 million dollars to do what they thought were right? The nazis.

CANCER MERCHANT!

Go back to Clerkin' buddy.
Post Fri Apr 23, 2004 2:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next