Search
Register
ADHD and marijuana...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Native Legend

ADHD and marijuana...  Reply with quote  

I read this news brief that some doctor in California started giving some younger patients who have ADD and ADHD, perscriptions for medical marijuana (not the herbal form but the pill kind) and they have had better effect then perscribing them riddlen. Patients are showing higher grades and better abilty to keep focused at faster rate then giving them the more excepted drug.

Can anyone expand on this, maybe post a full artical.

I think its crazy to give this to kids. Not only are they being pressured by their peers, but now they are going to be pressured by their doctors too!

I don't understand why a parent would even consider giving their childern this. Granted that it is the pill form, but isn't it still the some chemical makeup?

Isn't pot the gate way drug? Do they not think this is will lead to a harder drugs in the future? What happens when the kid builds up a tolerance, are they given a higher dosage?
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:43 pm
Reggie

As a teenager, I marvelled at the fact that all of my friends diagnosed with ADD and ADHD were ferociously addicted to marijuana. It would do more than get them stoned, it would effect a complete personality change. Of course, it didn't make them more "focused" but it definitely calmed them down and all of them preferred it to Ritalin or that other ADD drug whose name I forget.

Even then, I knew it was worth a study. I mean, I know about a dozen kids like this. Of course, I also think that ADD and ADHD diagnoses are handed out too frequently, but that's another matter.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:46 pm
MessiahCarey

I could have told you that!

I've been using that method of self-medication since high school myself. Quite frankly, I wouldn't have passed without it. I was all the fuck over the place. Pot made me focus because otherwise I'd get caught...or so I thought.

Then adulthood came and I shed smoking pot with my high school friends. I lost jobs, couldn't concentrate on anything, and became a real prick generally speaking as I experienced the depression that results from...well...losing your jobs and not being able to concentrate on anything. Ha.

Then I started smoking weed again, got back on track, and now 6 years later I have a 40k job, a house and a car. ::shrug::

And NO, I'm not saying that pot = good life. It was just something that helped along the way.

- Shane
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:49 pm
MessiahCarey

HAHAHAHAHAHA.

It's dope that we posted that shit at the same time. Go figure.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:50 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

How is giving pot to kids any crazier than giving them ritilin?
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:52 pm
Rhino

Im 32, I dont remember such things as ADD or Ridalin or my peers getting prescribed mood alternating drugs when I was in school. We did plenty of drugs in the 80's but none of them were given by a licensed pharmacist.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:53 pm
z-spot22

i agree with shane, but to an extent... not everyone knows how to control themselves when it comes marijuana therapy, its a process, not just getting stoned....anyways, heres some info for you

http://www.letfreedomgrow.com/cmu/

http://www.marijuana-uses.com/essays/040.html

theres tons more but im sure y'all can find it
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:01 pm
panty_inspector

"I think its crazy to give this to kids. Not only are they being pressured by their peers, but now they are going to be pressured by their doctors too!

I don't understand why a parent would even consider giving their childern this. Granted that it is the pill form, but isn't it still the some chemical makeup? "

i say yay to pot and nay to riddlin
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:10 pm
MessiahCarey

Yeah. I think that Ritalin is a terrible drug for the young.

It's basically cheap coke.

- Shane
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:13 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

All I have to say is that I trust marijuana more than any prescribed drug a doctor suggests. I mean, I can grow my own if I wanted and know the exact contents of what is going into my body, who can say that about what the doctor gives you?

I'm not saying that pot has made my life better, what I am saying that I don't think it's made it worse either. As far as that whole gateway drug thing is concerned, that's the biggest joke in the law enforcement's " drugspeech to second graders" book. I mean seriously, all of these prescribed medications nowadays seem as if you can't just stop using them, you need to take these other pills to help compensate, and then to get off of those pills you need other pills. Not to mention all of the adverse side effects. Now I can stop smoking whenever I want and not have to take another drug to calm the withdrawal or whatever, which one forces you to do other drugs, it's not marijuana, I'll tell you that.

Unfocused but I think I made a point of sorts.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:14 pm
z-spot22

this is funny.....

http://www.theantidrug.com/ei/drug_lingo.asp

and the "FACTS" are pretty good too...

http://www.theantidrug.com/ei/mj_facts.asp

i say this of course with a smirk and a wink
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:21 pm
Native Legend

Won't kids be getting double dose of the drug?

What happens when you take the pot pill and and then you smoke on top of that?

Most kids in high school experiment with pot and some like it a lot more than others. Will it effect them more if they do both?

For you ADD pot smokers, I never understood the kids that smoked and seemed to excel and get better grades, take a break form homework and smoke some weed then jump back into it. I guess this is the reason.

As for me I stopped smoking because it made me unproductive and unmotivated. I was the pretty aggressive smoker in my day and just found it wasn't getting me anywhere.

So it seems the opposite for you guys.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:36 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

^^^

Funny...yes. For humors sake. People are serious about this though, and I think that is sad. However, under long term effects of marijuana they didn't lay down any substantial claims. I mean, the repercussions that they put down were a)getting in trouble with the law (if legal, this wouldn't be a problem), b) risky behavior that could jeopardize one's future (uh, okay, this is a life right, the one where risks are everywhere, including falling in the shower), c) losing scholarship money (refer to response to a).), and d) can hurt academic achievement (I don't know if this has any merit, I smoke a good amount, and I have a 4.0, so, uh, yeah)

It's all subjective from what they listed here. I'd say for most of these types of organizations they just provide fodder for the ignorant. It's ridiculous, whatever, pot is outlawed, now only outlaws smoke pot. Oh...and California medicinal patients, I've been meaning to acquire a card.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:44 pm
z-spot22

^^^^
agreed...i hope you know i posted those links for humor purposes only...and as for marijuana helping one focus, well, i can hardly pay attention to anything for more than 2 minutes unless i have my 'therapy' for breakfast, but then my whole day seems to fall into place (and im 30)
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:51 pm
2b
SHAKESPERIAN ACTOR

Quote:

Won't kids be getting double dose of the drug?

What happens when you take the pot pill and and then you smoke on top of that?

Most kids in high school experiment with pot and some like it a lot more than others. Will it effect them more if they do both?

I've smoked a shitload of pot in a day, I mean, absurd amounts, just to test the effects of mass consumption in a short period of time. From what I understand it is impossible to overdose due to too much "thc" (the active psychotropic substance in marijuana). The only side effect was a slight increase in the amount I wanted to sleep. I'm sure there could be some sort of limit for something synthetically made, but I wouldn't trust a pill that the doctors gave me anyway, I'd just smoke pot, or eat it, or vaporize it, or...you get the point.

I think that there's nothing wrong with the usage of marijuana, though I think people should respect their bodies more and use the substance with more moderation, myself included, though I've been changing my ways.

And Z-man, I knew you were implying humor, I was just saying that some people think this way for real.
Post Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:53 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next