Search
Register
The God Part of the brain
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

joedan

dallasbboy wrote:
Noisetonepause wrote:

(the similarities between the brain activity patterns in a Catholic monk's head and those in a Buddhist/Hindu in deep prayer are striking) would come as no shock to me, as I do believe we are mainly physical beings.

Oh dear. I could go on all night! But I'll stop here. Need sleep.

-Paws

Can you tell me where you got this information from? Books, websites etc.. Its fascinating to me.

hereis a copy of a newsweek article on the subject.
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:17 pm
duke_city

joedan wrote:

hereis a copy of a newsweek article on the subject.

thanks!
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 12:49 pm
Noisetonepause

sequence wrote:
Did someone say something about Nietzschean spirituality? Wha, wha, wha?

That would be me. I'll try to explain tomorrow when I've slept, but if you're bored you could surf the web for the links between Schopenhauer -> Nietszche, and Hinduism.

-Paws
Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 3:30 pm
Abinatra

losing battles.....

Turtable Timmy has all the answers

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 4:24 pm
sequence

Noisetonepause wrote:
sequence wrote:
Did someone say something about Nietzschean spirituality? Wha, wha, wha?

That would be me. I'll try to explain tomorrow when I've slept, but if you're bored you could surf the web for the links between Schopenhauer -> Nietszche, and Hinduism.

-Paws

Nietzsche went for Schopenhauer's throat with regards to his taking up of the other-oriented passion portions of Eastern religion. In the Birth of Tragedy and in early writings he adopts the language of the veil of maya that Schopenhauer incorporated into World as Will and Representation (Welt als...), he abandons ship on that pretty quickly. Remember that at the beginning of the Genealogy of Moralsm, in the preface, he equates a European Buddhism with a new nihlism. Though you get the sense in the Anti-Christ and Gottendammerung that he likes Buddhism, don't think that he jumps on the wagon.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 3:47 pm
Noisetonepause

Sequence,

I know, I know. It's not as clear cut as that. But the way I read Nietszche (which is probably wrong), he doesn't as much rage against metaphysics as such, more against how people will take their specific notion of what lies beyond the immediately perceivable and use that as a shield against all the things that they don't understand ("the earth is flat" like) or as a justification for a code of morals that they can't accept changing (however sensible the change maybe) because they're too stupidstupidstupid to accept any sort of changes... and neither he nor I likes it when people are refused/refuse themselves the opportunity to live a happy life because they're too stupidstupidstupid because of things that have no logical justifications.

That is what I like about Nietszche. I also think his concept of the will to power - although I allow myself to modify it somewhat, I'm just not callous enough -, in that man is so beautiful and powerful and resourceful when he allows himself to be so. Mos Def says somewhere (first track of Black on Both Sides, I think) that 'people get better when they start to realise that they are valuable'. Mos thinks people are valuable because they've been created by God. Fair enough. I think people are valuable because they are people.

Want more ramblings? Tell me to talk about fate :)

-Paws
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:19 pm
Noisetonepause

Oh, and Buddhism is Nihilism, in that it's not about putting faith in something that you can't see. It's about trying to see something and letting your faith grow from that. It's based on experience.

And it's about nice to people. I've found that being nice to people rocks.

-Paws
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:22 pm
Dan Shay

that's great pseudoscience.

Just because a certain part of the brain is stimulated during thinking of a symbolic abstract thought such as god, doesn't mean that we have evolved to think this way.

What other thoughts trigger this part of the brain?

You can tell it's pseudoscience right off, cause they are setting out to prove something.

You can't. You can only disprove things.

It would, however, be a great back door in this country to get religion back in the schools by tying it in with evolution.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 6:02 pm
joedan

Dan Shay wrote:
that's great pseudoscience.

Just because a certain part of the brain is stimulated during thinking of a symbolic abstract thought such as god, doesn't mean that we have evolved to think this way.

What other thoughts trigger this part of the brain?

You can tell it's pseudoscience right off, cause they are setting out to prove something.

You can't. You can only disprove things.

i agree. the way that matthew alper formulates it seems kinda shaky to me. however, there are real neuroscientists taking an emprical approach on this issue. this book by my philosophy of neuroscience professor touches on the subject, in part citing research based on temporal lobe epileptics.
Post Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:38 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3