check this out and tell me what you think
www.godpart.com
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 6:41 am
MYOWNCLICHE

Veyr intersting indeed
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:56 am
MessiahCarey

I'm thinking I may pick this up.

Interesting theory...but it doesn't explain atheists.

AND...one has to wonder, if a child is brought up in a non-religious environment (a test that cannot happen in this society), will spirituality play a role in their existence? I'm sure this is in the book...well...I'd hope.

- Shane
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:02 am
z-spot22

this kinda makes sense to me, but i'd have to read more. i was raised in a strict baptist home and fought it every step of the way. but now, being so much older and wiser (haha choke cough ha ha), i have a new respect for a higher being that im not really sure exists but theres a part of me that wants it too. i dont know if its god or allah or jeebus or what...but come on, something had to make all this shit around us, no?
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:18 am
MYOWNCLICHE

I was raised strict catholic
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:30 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

hmmmmm looks intresting BUT imo science isnt all that different from religon

i mean its all an assumption right? you have to have faithinwhat science ASSUMES to be true,no?
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:30 am
MessiahCarey

z-spot22 wrote:
but come on, something had to make all this shit around us, no?

Hahaha. Now you've done it. *ducks as religion thread gets out of hand*

But to answer your question, no.

It's as Douglas Adams said when I saw him speak in San Fran in 2000:

"Humans are toolmakers. We didn't fancy the foggiest about how a heart works until we created the pnuematic pump...then we said, OH! IT'S ONE OF THOSE!"

We assume we're made because we make things and regard those creations as successful. Many of us assume we're someone else's success as opposed to even considering other options.

- Shane
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:32 am
MessiahCarey

walkingparadox wrote:
hmmmmm looks intresting BUT imo science isnt all that different from religon

i mean its all an assumption right? you have to have faithinwhat science ASSUMES to be true,no?

I'd disagree with this.

Don't get me wrong, I know what you're saying - and putting your faith in science is dangerous....

However, the main difference is that the basis of science is that it CAN be wrong and if it is, you SHOULD correct it. The basis of religion is that it is NOT wrong and that nothing should be done to challenge it.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:34 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

ah you got me
that makes sense
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:37 am
cinnamonica

interesting premise. ive heard about this for a while...
but correlation does not imply causation. fuck...researchers find this area of the brain that lights up on fmri or something and all of the sudden thats where _____ function comes from. the human body is not that linear. i think the brain is just another sense organ at best. definitely a thermostat. if somethings a gwaan (like spirituality), then it is automatically assumed that whatever anatomical mechanism that corresponds to that function is the primary causal factor....but it may just be an aspect, a component within the spiraling manifestation of that function.
atheists just call god something else. like imagination. or superstring theory.its all semantics.
one thing i cant stand, though, is how humans refer to themselves and other animals genetically similar as "higher animals". what the fuck does that mean? mice and cardinals and shit could be blowing james joyce out the fucking water. arent humans the only species that destroys their own habitat?

on a side note,
how do you think humans would move if their eyes were located in the back of their heads? think about it.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:39 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

MessiahCarey wrote:
[

. The basis of religion is that it is NOT wrong and that nothing should be done to challenge it.

but what ifit isnt wrong?

FUCK I HATE BEING AGNOSTIC SOMETIMES!

\CONFLICKTING[sp] THOUGHTS/
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:44 am
R. Kamidees

Has anyone actually read the book, it is an interesting theory. I am atheist, but I was raised by two families: one religious, and one non-religious. I made the decision myself though, one family was not just better at the sales pitch. Religion exist because we as humans need answers to everything. We are impatient and cannot stand to have the BIG questions left unanswered. I remember reading books as a kid that retold folk stories, like "Why mosquitoes buzz in our ears", or "How the Rhino got its skin." And evolution or common sense never was mentioned. I remember thinking, how is this different from religious stories told in the Bible?
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:20 pm
TBerculosis

I  Reply with quote  

i think its just a case that humans are afraid of dying and they are such ego maniacs that they believe we will be immortal. Heres a thought My teacher in high school gave us. We keep ourselves busy all day as a defense mechanism. IE we go to the movies, play baseball, read etc as a way of keeping our minds off that fact that we are going to die. Because we would drive ourselves mad realizing we will die. SO we find meanial tasks subconsciously to keep us busy so to speak as a way of keeping our brains preoccupied by the thought of death
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:28 pm
z-spot22

but religion in itself is man made. its the tool we made to find our 'spirituality' if you will. but some of us dont need a written down doctrine (sorry doc) or the ten commandments to teach us that, we have learned it through life experiences. im not a fan of 'organized religion' but whatever, i can see this thread headed down a bad path
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:43 pm
duke_city

Re: The God Part of the brain  Reply with quote  

TBerc wrote:
check this out and tell me what you think
www.godpart.com

This looks very interesting, I'm gonna order a copy next week.
Post Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:51 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next