Search
Register
Oh man Hicks try to BAN Gays
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Jesse

dallasbboy wrote:
The inherant problem with applying science to prove the existance of anything is its lag in time. Its bounded to the past tense.

Scientific analysis only gets you an approximation of what happened even under the best circumstances. The longer you wait and the more factors that are involved increases the margin of error exponentially.

So maybe God exists in the future, or starting from right now? Is that really what you're trying to say?

Quote:

Likewise you don't need to prove something does exist to believe it either.

No, I don't suppose you do, but it is awfully scarce for people to believe in really specific things with no direct evidence whatsoever outside of religious faith, isn't it?
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:27 pm
Absurd_Life

tinkleDRINKER wrote:
Hicks? these people appear to be of very high culture. you must not know anything about trying to maintain the integrity of this country.

Haha!
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:29 pm
R. Kamidees

Jesse wrote:
dallasbboy wrote:
The inherant problem with applying science to prove the existance of anything is its lag in time. Its bounded to the past tense.

Scientific analysis only gets you an approximation of what happened even under the best circumstances. The longer you wait and the more factors that are involved increases the margin of error exponentially.

So maybe God exists in the future, or starting from right now? Is that really what you're trying to say?

Quote:

No, I don't suppose you do, but it is awfully scarce for people to believe in really specific things with no direct evidence whatsoever outside of religious faith, isn't it?

You guy are just defining the difference between atheism and agnosticism. Look, I didn't mean to start a whole THING here, I just didn't want blame to be placed on the wrong party. I think we can all agree that rednecks are stupid.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:15 am
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN

You simply can't prove (mathematically/scientifically) whether God does or does not in fact exist. There's no realm of scientific or mathematical analysis that stretches that far. That's why we call belief in religion or in God faith .
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:04 am
Moolah

It is completely illogical to believe in a God though.

For the aforementioned reasons. You need proof to believe in things. You don't need non-proof to not believe in stuff.

That's not even touching the fact that if god were hypothetically proven then you would still be in the unfortunate situation of not knowing who god is and what he wants.

Taking it even further and assuming ONE of the religions of the world IS correct, the odds are still against you in choosing the correct one and making him happy.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:14 am
Seamus Ignoramus

Moolah wrote:

Okeeyy, so how, logically speaking, was the world created and how did we get here?
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:20 am
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN

Moolah wrote:

For the aforementioned reasons. You need proof to believe in things. You don't need non-proof to not believe in stuff.

That's not true at all. Lots of people believe in things that they dont have 'proof' of, God being one of them. There's no proof that God does exist and there is no proof that God doesnt exist. God just is/isn't (depending on your orientation)

The realm of mathematics and sciences can not and will not stretch into the domain of God and religion.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:56 am
MessiahCarey

Seamus Ignoramus wrote:
Moolah wrote:

Okeeyy, so how, logically speaking, was the world created and how did we get here?

There's no answering that. We don't have the information necessary, sorry.

- Shane
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:32 am
MessiahCarey

Also, I'm playing devil's advocate here...I may or may not think this, but if the ENTIRE community votes that they don't wish to have homosexuals in their town - who's right is it to infringe on the will of the people within that community regarding who they allow in and who they do not allow in?

To me, this is just an example of how democracy fails.

- Shane
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:36 am
tinkleDRINKER

My other posts were jokes but know it has strayed into an area that i deem important so i will weigh in seriously.

there are mulitple proofs for the exisitence of god. Science (deduction/abduction) has been used to prove/disprove (valid or invalid) the exsitence of god in the past by many men/women better and smarter than you or I - it is called philosophy. end of story! if you want to battle i have 5000 years of philospohers backing me up.

I was questioning that persons belief in atheism - blind faith in the non-existence of a single diety is ludicris. where does your faith come from? as a mortal how can you deny the possibilty of omnipotence when it is fact that a normal distributions extended infinetly in both directions? my is whole point was that person is most likely agnostic.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:44 am
tinkleDRINKER

Infamous wrote:
You simply can't prove (mathematically/scientifically) whether God does or does not in fact exist. There's no realm of scientific or mathematical analysis that stretches that far. That's why we call belief in religion or in God faith .

mathematics/science are not finite - they are tools whoose effectiveness is limited by the user - there uses are in fact limitless (especially mathematics) and are therfore capable of streching toward infinity.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:49 am
tinkleDRINKER

Jesse wrote:
dallasbboy wrote:

Quote:

time is space, which can be traveled and navigated like a city it is therfore non-linear. the future and past are illusion of consiousnesss
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:53 am
Doctrine

OH SHOOT...NOT AGAIN
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:55 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
admiral

MessiahCarey wrote:
Also, I'm playing devil's advocate here...I may or may not think this, but if the ENTIRE community votes that they don't wish to have homosexuals in their town - who's right is it to infringe on the will of the people within that community regarding who they allow in and who they do not allow in?

To me, this is just an example of how democracy fails.

- Shane

i understand your point you're making here...

but what if they decided to vote out blacks next, or anyone who isn't christian, would they still have the right to do that? i'm not arguing, just making the point that this form of discrimination is still legal...
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:03 am
Doctrine

I think what you just said parallels what shane just said...
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next