Profile
Search
Register
Log in
Oh man Hicks try to BAN Gays
View previous topic | View next topic >

Post new topic Reply to topic
Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Author Message
Jesse



Joined: 02 Jul 2002
Posts: 6166
Location: privileged homeless
 Reply with quote  

dallasbboy wrote:
The inherant problem with applying science to prove the existance of anything is its lag in time. Its bounded to the past tense.

Scientific analysis only gets you an approximation of what happened even under the best circumstances. The longer you wait and the more factors that are involved increases the margin of error exponentially.


So maybe God exists in the future, or starting from right now? Is that really what you're trying to say?


Quote:

Likewise you don't need to prove something does exist to believe it either.


No, I don't suppose you do, but it is awfully scarce for people to believe in really specific things with no direct evidence whatsoever outside of religious faith, isn't it?
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:27 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website
Absurd_Life



Joined: 03 Jul 2003
Posts: 377
Location: Minneapolis
 Reply with quote  

tinkleDRINKER wrote:
Hicks? these people appear to be of very high culture. you must not know anything about trying to maintain the integrity of this country.


Haha!
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger
R. Kamidees



Joined: 15 Sep 2003
Posts: 4834
Location: where the wild things are
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
dallasbboy wrote:
The inherant problem with applying science to prove the existance of anything is its lag in time. Its bounded to the past tense.

Scientific analysis only gets you an approximation of what happened even under the best circumstances. The longer you wait and the more factors that are involved increases the margin of error exponentially.


So maybe God exists in the future, or starting from right now? Is that really what you're trying to say?


Quote:

Likewise you don't need to prove something does exist to believe it either.


No, I don't suppose you do, but it is awfully scarce for people to believe in really specific things with no direct evidence whatsoever outside of religious faith, isn't it?


You guy are just defining the difference between atheism and agnosticism. Look, I didn't mean to start a whole THING here, I just didn't want blame to be placed on the wrong party. I think we can all agree that rednecks are stupid.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 2:15 am
 View user's profile Send private message
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 2804
Location: Kingston, mang
 Reply with quote  

You simply can't prove (mathematically/scientifically) whether God does or does not in fact exist. There's no realm of scientific or mathematical analysis that stretches that far. That's why we call belief in religion or in God faith .
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Moolah



Joined: 06 Sep 2002
Posts: 465
Location: Sydney, Australia
 Reply with quote  

It is completely illogical to believe in a God though.

For the aforementioned reasons. You need proof to believe in things. You don't need non-proof to not believe in stuff.

That's not even touching the fact that if god were hypothetically proven then you would still be in the unfortunate situation of not knowing who god is and what he wants.

Taking it even further and assuming ONE of the religions of the world IS correct, the odds are still against you in choosing the correct one and making him happy.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:14 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
Seamus Ignoramus



Joined: 06 Nov 2002
Posts: 927
Location: Dublin, Ireland
 Reply with quote  

Moolah wrote:
It is completely illogical to believe in a God though.


Okeeyy, so how, logically speaking, was the world created and how did we get here?
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:20 am
 View user's profile Send private message
apeofdeath
FIRE BREATHING DRAG QUEEN


Joined: 30 Sep 2002
Posts: 2804
Location: Kingston, mang
 Reply with quote  

Moolah wrote:

For the aforementioned reasons. You need proof to believe in things. You don't need non-proof to not believe in stuff.



That's not true at all. Lots of people believe in things that they dont have 'proof' of, God being one of them. There's no proof that God does exist and there is no proof that God doesnt exist. God just is/isn't (depending on your orientation)

The realm of mathematics and sciences can not and will not stretch into the domain of God and religion.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:56 am
 View user's profile Send private message
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

Seamus Ignoramus wrote:
Moolah wrote:
It is completely illogical to believe in a God though.


Okeeyy, so how, logically speaking, was the world created and how did we get here?


There's no answering that. We don't have the information necessary, sorry.

- Shane
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:32 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
MessiahCarey



Joined: 01 Jul 2002
Posts: 10924
 Reply with quote  

Also, I'm playing devil's advocate here...I may or may not think this, but if the ENTIRE community votes that they don't wish to have homosexuals in their town - who's right is it to infringe on the will of the people within that community regarding who they allow in and who they do not allow in?

To me, this is just an example of how democracy fails.

- Shane
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:36 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
tinkleDRINKER



Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 788
 Reply with quote  

My other posts were jokes but know it has strayed into an area that i deem important so i will weigh in seriously.


there are mulitple proofs for the exisitence of god. Science (deduction/abduction) has been used to prove/disprove (valid or invalid) the exsitence of god in the past by many men/women better and smarter than you or I - it is called philosophy. end of story! if you want to battle i have 5000 years of philospohers backing me up.

I was questioning that persons belief in atheism - blind faith in the non-existence of a single diety is ludicris. where does your faith come from? as a mortal how can you deny the possibilty of omnipotence when it is fact that a normal distributions extended infinetly in both directions? my is whole point was that person is most likely agnostic.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:44 am
 View user's profile Send private message
tinkleDRINKER



Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 788
 Reply with quote  

Infamous wrote:
You simply can't prove (mathematically/scientifically) whether God does or does not in fact exist. There's no realm of scientific or mathematical analysis that stretches that far. That's why we call belief in religion or in God faith .


mathematics/science are not finite - they are tools whoose effectiveness is limited by the user - there uses are in fact limitless (especially mathematics) and are therfore capable of streching toward infinity.
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:49 am
 View user's profile Send private message
tinkleDRINKER



Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 788
 Reply with quote  

Jesse wrote:
dallasbboy wrote:
The inherant problem with applying science to prove the existance of anything is its lag in time. Its bounded to the past tense.

Scientific analysis only gets you an approximation of what happened even under the best circumstances. The longer you wait and the more factors that are involved increases the margin of error exponentially.


So maybe God exists in the future, or starting from right now? Is that really what you're trying to say?


Quote:

Likewise you don't need to prove something does exist to believe it either.


No, I don't suppose you do, but it is awfully scarce for people to believe in really specific things with no direct evidence whatsoever outside of religious faith, isn't it?


time is space, which can be traveled and navigated like a city it is therfore non-linear. the future and past are illusion of consiousnesss
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:53 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Doctrine



Joined: 05 Apr 2003
Posts: 4626
Location: ATL, Livin' Swell
 Reply with quote  

OH SHOOT...NOT AGAIN
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:55 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
admiral



Joined: 21 Sep 2002
Posts: 373
 Reply with quote  

MessiahCarey wrote:
Also, I'm playing devil's advocate here...I may or may not think this, but if the ENTIRE community votes that they don't wish to have homosexuals in their town - who's right is it to infringe on the will of the people within that community regarding who they allow in and who they do not allow in?

To me, this is just an example of how democracy fails.

- Shane


i understand your point you're making here...

but what if they decided to vote out blacks next, or anyone who isn't christian, would they still have the right to do that? i'm not arguing, just making the point that this form of discrimination is still legal...
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:03 am
 View user's profile Send private message
Doctrine



Joined: 05 Apr 2003
Posts: 4626
Location: ATL, Livin' Swell
 Reply with quote  

I think what you just said parallels what shane just said...
Post Thu Mar 18, 2004 11:04 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Post new topic Reply to topic
Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
All times are GMT - 6 Hours.
The time now is Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:34 am
  Display posts from previous:      


Powered by phpBB: © 2001 phpBB Group
Template created by The Fathom
Based on template of Nick Mahon