Search
Register
Dennis Kucinich
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

WoodlandHobo

the mean wrote:
WoodlandHobo wrote:
and the mean, from where i'm standing it's a topic change.

the mean wrote:
A company will not change unless forced to monetarily. How do you make them change? You put financial penalities on them that force them to. Corporations spek the language of money. They don't care about anything else.

You (or someone else) mentioned that companies should be forced to change instead of paying out money. I responded by saying that the only way to force a company to change is through money.

i didnt mention that, that was Embryo i think.

an analogy ehh doctrine?
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:16 pm

Doctrine

Embryo wrote:

education reform would benefit all underprivileged areas equally. but, it would affect overprivileged areas negatively, and those communities - which have money, and therefore power - would stop it from ever happening. institutional racism - where white people feel entitled to the privilege they have despite the fact that, as a direct result, others won't have the basic things they need to have a real chance at success.

What an incredible crock of bs...Forreal...
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WoodlandHobo

Embryo wrote:
that's a different issue. but also why i think reparations are beside the point - it's not an idea i would push for, but if done in the manner i described above, it's not an idea i would try to stop, either.

education reform would benefit all underprivileged areas equally. but, it would affect overprivileged areas negatively, and those communities - which have money, and therefore power - would stop it from ever happening. institutional racism - where white people feel entitled to the privilege they have despite the fact that, as a direct result, others won't have the basic things they need to have a real chance at success.

i love the way you think white people are the only ones above middle class.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:19 pm

Embryo

Doctrine wrote:
Embryo wrote:

What an incredible crock of bs...Forreal...

sigh.. explain.

you don't think white america has a sense of entitlement to what it has? we have an incredible amount of internalized racial superiority and it affects the way we deal with any group that isn't us.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:19 pm
Doctrine

I seriously think you are on a frantic flashback of the 60's or something...Greater education in communities held back? Call me ignorant...That's somewhat how I'm feeling, but HOW? Examples perhaps?
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:21 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
WoodlandHobo

dude, i dont understand the way you seperate black people and white people... it doesnt make sense.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:21 pm

the mean
Certified O.G.

WoodlandHobo wrote:
dude, i dont understand the way you seperate black people and white people... it doesnt make sense.
You're right. Being black in America is exactly the same as being white. There are no differences whatsoever.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:23 pm
WoodlandHobo

he's been in a bomb shelter for 40 years, and on that note i'm off to bed.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:23 pm

WoodlandHobo

the mean wrote:
WoodlandHobo wrote:
You're right. Being black in America is exactly the same as being white. There are no differences whatsoever.

no, he just seems to think that all black people are poor and without education, and that all white people are buisnessmen tyrants with nice cars.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:25 pm

Embryo

I grew up in a suburb that was 98% populated by white people - Massachusetts is one of the most segregated parts of the country. Here, white people in the suburbs turn a blind eye to the plight of Boston and Worcester's residents of color. There is a prevailing attitude of "don't think about it and you won't have to worry about it." There is an incredible amount of money invested in highways and commuter rails to allow Massachusetts' suburban residents to travel to their jobs in the city every day and back again without ever having to be in Boston's poorer, mostly-people-of-color communities - from which it takes LONGER to get to downtown Boston than it does for a white person from my town, 30 miles away. White people in Massachusetts have one giant mental block when dealing with issues of race. But Boston's poorest communities contain almost the entire population of color in the city, and the reason for that is the urban/suburban complex. If white and black people lived in the same places, and shared communities, then we wouldn't need to think of the communities as separate. But in Boston, and many other major urban/suburban areas, the reality is that the communities ARE different and ARE separated - not just by culture but by privilege, geography, and ideology. And that is why it needs to be addressed on an economic level - in order to actually have an integrated culture.

My separation of white and black communities doesn't mean that I don't relate to people of color on the same level as white people. It means that I am informed as to how things are split up in this country. We don't live in a melting pot - that would require melting. And is that even a good thing if we were? I'm not the only one who looks at it like this.

Did you know that Dr. King and X both advocated a period of segregation before racial integration? They were worried about the damage done to the psyches of people of color by slavery and racism. It's the job of white people to worry about how our psyches have been damaged by being on the recieving end of those things, because it's just as nasty a scene to behold.

Last edited by Embryo on Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:29 pm
Embryo

WoodlandHobo wrote:
the mean wrote:
WoodlandHobo wrote:

no, he just seems to think that all black people are poor and without education, and that all white people are buisnessmen tyrants with nice cars.

no, that's obviously not true. But the trends ARE OVERWHELMING. Making generalizations that are reasonable is a helpful tool for determining how to move forward. I would never say that all white people are this or all white people are that. But these attitudes do DEFINE white culture because they constitute the vast majority. And the fact is, ALL WHITE PEOPLE benefit from white privilege, and ALL people of color do not. There ARE distinct lines between these groupings and to pretend that there aren't is ignorant and backwards.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:31 pm
Embryo

WoodlandHobo wrote:

i didnt mention that, that was Embryo i think.

twas not eye.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:33 pm
Embryo

aw, come on, i didn't want the last word on this one. i was just gettin all personal and shit.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:19 pm
WoodlandHobo

sorry, i had to sleep man, as i'm going to do again here shortly.

anyways, where i live here in the suburbs of virginia there is a good deal of diversity. there are black people, indians(not native americans), and a good bit of asians, my school is a good 35% or so asian.

and to be honest, when i lived closer in to the city in a little bit rougher neighborhood (there were stabbings a couple blocks away, a gang shooting about 10 townhouses down, etc) there were probably more white people, more hispanic people and plenty more middleasterners (pakistanis, indians, afghanis, etc) than there were black people.

i'd say probably 10% of my new neighborhood is black, and 20% of the old one was black.

i know what you're saying, but from where i'm standing things are changing, and you have to take into account that whites are a large part of EVERY social strata. neither of our areas are probably representative of the rest of the US, so to judge how things really stand we'd probably have to go around everywhere, or take a survey or something.

but anyways, tomorrow if i have time i'll see if i can find some census records to take a look at, but for now i'm out.

peace!
Post Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:13 pm

OneHumpChump

crux wrote:
Yeah, slavery was a terrible thing, and stuff, but:
Nobody alive today was ever a slave owner.
Nobody alive today was ever a slave.
Therefore it doesn't directly affect anybody who is alive right now.
I'm not saying that racism doesn't exist anymore, but it has very little to do with slavery....

I completley agree.I'm part of the Sault Tribe of Chippewa Indians in Michigan and have recently been offered money through the tribe.I have proudly declined.Yes,it's unfortunate what happened to my people and Yes,it is unfortunate what has been done to the African American community in this country.But will receiving money for a time period that nobody alive today was around for really make u sleep better at night?,I don't think so.Taking that money is basically saying "Hey Mr.Peckerwood thanx for my money this week,I forgive u for burning my ancestors villiage and raping the women"...............Fuck that.
Post Wed Mar 17, 2004 11:32 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next