Search
Register
Dennis Kucinich
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Doctrine

^^^

Giving money isn't removing any "growth blocks"...Just understand that...It's just giving a false sense of change...
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Embryo

Doctrine wrote:
^^^

Giving money isn't removing any "growth blocks"...Just understand that...It's just giving a false sense of change...

but that's not really correct, Doctrine. You can't fix the urban/suburban conplex until you remove its defining element: the disparity of wealth that already exists, which makes the whole thing possible. If everyone could afford to commute to work, anyone could live in a suburb. But because of the a) educational disparities that prevent most inner-city residents from holding high-paying jobs and b) the resulting wealth disparity that prevents inner-city residents from living in suburbs, the money flows through cities right above the heads of its residents of color. This is why wealth is distributed along not only lines of race but also of geography. And this lack of money in urban communites, which is a result of the urban/suburban complex, starts the whole thing OVER again by making those two facts (a and b) true forever, and ever, and ever.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:58 pm
Doctrine

Your ideas are pure at the roots...But the stem is rotten and the buds wilt prematurely...

Education is needed...I agree with you on that...THAT'S what will close the financial strain...Encouraging critical thinking and creative thought...That's what builds entrepenuers and hard workers...

Hand outs don't help...

You can give a man a fish...Or you can teach a man to fish...

You know...It's like that kinda thing...
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:02 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Embryo

But, I want to clarify and say that I still disagree with reparations, unless they are made to communities of color, and not to individuals. Giving benefits to individuals doesn't help fix systemic inequalities.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:04 pm
WoodlandHobo

haha, it's a 3.2 sonny, and it was my SAT scores that got me in, you should know that.

i dont know what percentage of BYU is black, i think it's small. i think like 20% or so is polynesian, but yeah, that has nothing to do with race and you know it!!!

i'm for affirmative action based on social class, because those with less available quality schooling do deserve to go to good colleges more than i do, as long as they've worked hard, even if my GPA is better, my SAT's are better and i have a longer list of extra-curricular activities.

HOWEVER: admittance that takes race into account is unfair.

and the mean, from where i'm standing it's a topic change.

the mean wrote:
A company will not change unless forced to monetarily. How do you make them change? You put financial penalities on them that force them to. Corporations spek the language of money. They don't care about anything else.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:05 pm

Embryo

Doctrine wrote:

Hand outs don't help...

i'm not talking about handouts, though. i'm talking about giving communities the money it takes to teach men how to fish.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:05 pm
Doctrine

FoJaR wrote:
and i have a longer list of extra-curricular activities

Sweet...I didn't know they were counting Diablo tournaments as extracurricular activities!
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:07 pm
the mean
Certified O.G.

WoodlandHobo wrote:
and the mean, from where i'm standing it's a topic change.

the mean wrote:
A company will not change unless forced to monetarily. How do you make them change? You put financial penalities on them that force them to. Corporations spek the language of money. They don't care about anything else.

You (or someone else) mentioned that companies should be forced to change instead of paying out money. I responded by saying that the only way to force a company to change is through money.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:08 pm
Doctrine

Embryo wrote:
Doctrine wrote:

Hand outs don't help...

i'm not talking about handouts, though. i'm talking about giving communities the money it takes to teach men how to fish.

I kinda see that...
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:08 pm
Doctrine

FoJaR...The man wasn't off topic...We were using an analogy...
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:09 pm
WoodlandHobo

Embryo wrote:
But, I want to clarify and say that I still disagree with reparations, unless they are made to communities of color, and not to individuals. Giving benefits to individuals doesn't help fix systemic inequalities.

but not poor white areas? what about the trailer parks?
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:09 pm

the mean
Certified O.G.

WoodlandHobo wrote:
Embryo wrote:

Both, and all.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:11 pm
WoodlandHobo

Doctrine wrote:
FoJaR wrote:
and i have a longer list of extra-curricular activities

Sweet...I didn't know they were counting Diablo tournaments as extracurricular activities!

hahaha, it wouldnt be hard to have a longer list of extracurricular activities than me, i've gone to youth group for 6 years or so and i'm a life scout, and that's just about it.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:11 pm

WoodlandHobo

the mean wrote:
WoodlandHobo wrote:
Both, and all.

thats not what he said:

Embryo wrote:
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:13 pm

Embryo

WoodlandHobo wrote:
Embryo wrote:

that's a different issue. but also why i think reparations are beside the point - it's not an idea i would push for, but if done in the manner i described above, it's not an idea i would try to stop, either.

education reform would benefit all underprivileged areas equally. but, it would affect overprivileged areas negatively, and those communities - which have money, and therefore power - would stop it from ever happening. institutional racism - where white people feel entitled to the privilege they have despite the fact that, as a direct result, others won't have the basic things they need to have a real chance at success.
Post Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:14 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next