Search
Register
Dennis Kucinich
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Geometrik

Dennis Kucinich  Reply with quote  

I have such difficulty following politics... is Dennis still in the race here, or is it game over for him?
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:02 am
Geometrik

and on another note, heres a "letter" he wrote to the "hip hop community":

http://www.kucinich.us/hiphop/

AN OPEN LETTER TO THE HIP HOP COMMUNITY
I am writing this letter to express my outrage at the social, political and economic conditions of our time and to solicit your assistance, your resources, and the insights of the Hip Hop generation.

I do not claim to know the names of the top ten greatest MCs of all time or who has the hottest Hip Hop album on Billboard at this moment. I do know what it is like to live on the wrong side of American society. I am the oldest of seven children, and I grew up in the inner city of Cleveland. My family was often the only Caucasian family living in a community of color. Having been homeless, I know poverty all too well. I have made it my duty never -- and I mean never -- to forget where I came from and those I represent. And I know that Hip Hop at its best gives voice to the voiceless and visibility to the invisible.

During my four terms in the House of Representatives, I have supported progressive legislation. I am supporting a bill sponsored by Congressman John Conyers that calls for a federal study of how to proceed with making reparations for slavery. We must repair the breach caused by centuries of racial oppression in our nation.

As the Co-Chair of the Congressional Progressive Caucus with the courageous Barbara Lee, I led the effort in the House of Representatives against President Bush's unwarranted march toward war -- a war that is based on a lie. The cost of the war has passed $150 billion, and the Pentagon's annual budget is now $400 billion.

Meanwhile, Americans lack basic needs. 40 million Americans do not have health coverage. Some 10 million can't find jobs. Tens of millions more can't find jobs that pay a living wage. Our criminal justice system is one of the few projects outside the military that we are investing more money in, locking up huge numbers of African-American and Latinos. The incarceration of women has increased by 600 percent in the last five years.

Our school systems are under funded, teachers underpaid, and classrooms overcrowded. Our nation's physical and social infrastructure is in disarray. Crumbling roads, fractured public policy, and shattered dreams are scattered about the American social landscape like broken glass.

As I seek the highest office in the land, I want to change the debate. On the campaign trail, I have had the opportunity to sit and listen to the best and brightest voices of your generation. I have heard their desires and felt their yearnings. I have put at the forefront of the public discourse the key issues affecting your generation, which include:

Ending the Occupation of Iraq
Ending the expansion of the prison industrial complex (repealing mandatory minimums and focusing on rehabilitation of non-violent drug offenders)
Educational opportunity (free education pre-k-through college)
Full employment economy with a living wage (a WPA type program that will employ people to rebuild our nation's infrastructure, restoring value to the minimum wage)
Health Coverage for All (taking the HMOs and for-profit insurers out of the picture)

You are the leaders we have been waiting for. The initiative of the Hip Hop community to demand that America take notice of itself can shape the 2004 elections and politics for years to come. I call upon the collective genius that gave the world the most innovative musical development in a quarter century to change the face of electoral politics. If there is any way I can be of support to the progressive causes in your community, please do not hesitate to contact our office.

Thank you for your contribution to American culture, in fact world culture. And thank you for any time or consideration given to this letter.

Peace,

Congressman Dennis J. Kucinich,
Democratic Presidential Candidate 2004
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:05 am
CPFitz14

I think its game over, but don't quote me on that. Its really too bad...
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:29 am
Geometrik

damn. idda voted for this guy too...
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:33 am
CPFitz14

Oh, and its pretty impressive that he thought to write that letter. Somewhat stereotypical, with the whole African-American deal... but he's reaching for the majority I guess.

I'd like to see a letter from George W. to the hip-hop community. Now that would be good.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:35 am
CPFitz14

Alright, I've been doing some reading. He is still in the race to be nominated the democratic candidate, despite the fact that Kerry is basically going to win for sure.

So basically, he's out of the presidential race.

I wish Bill Clinton would run. That would be pimp.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:42 am
Geometrik

Quote:

I wish Bill Clinton would run. That would be pimp.

hahaha.... yeah man i dunno. I wish it was Kuc. instead of Kerry. Ive read some stuff from Kuc, and he actually sounds like the best out of all of em. Even nader.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 1:48 am
CPFitz14

Something about Kerry, I dont know. He's got that "Al Gore" robot feeling to him. And his head is weird.

On another note, here's somewhat of a Kucinich joke site. http://www.kucinich.com

Some of the stuff on there is pretty funny.

Quote:

Jay Leno : As of midnight Thursday night, John Kerry began receiving Secret Service protection -- a three-car detail of heavily armed agents and a bulletproof limousine pulled up in front of his house and stayed there all night. You see that's what you get when you're the front-runner. Dennis Kucinich got a whistle and a can of Mace.

Jay Leno: God bless Dennis Kucinich. Even though he's doing terrible, he keeps running. In fact his slogan is 'Don't look back.' Of course he doesn't have to look back, there's nobody behind him.

Jay Leno : Kucinich is not doing well. In fact, even in Florida today, people said they wouldn't vote for Kucinich even by mistake.

Jay Leno : Kucinich got one percent of the vote. And the sad part is there's a three percent margin of error. That means Kucinich could actually owe votes.

Some of those made me chuckle, but I fucking hate Jay Leno.

It's really going to suck if Nader decides to fuck things up. Bad enough that Kucinich isn't going to be on the ballot. This country is screwed if curious george gets reelected.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:02 am
Geometrik

i think theyre just as screwed with the comeback fairy
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:20 am
WoodlandHobo

pft, i dont like kucinich or kerry, bofum suck.

i'd def. vote for edwards, and i'll probably end up voting for the kerry/edwards ticket, but i wish it were edwards/kerry.

but i still say kerry over kucinich.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:26 am

Geometrik

Quote:

why?
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:32 am
th3fl4sh

its not a good sign when your running for president and my government teacher doesnt knwo your name (granted it was when there will 9 candidates)

he just seems to be the democratic Nader...
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 2:48 am
MC Pope

Geometrik wrote:

Quote:

why?

Because there's an outside chance that he could actually, y'know ... win.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:25 am
Geometrik

Quote:

Because there's an outside chance that he could actually, y'know ... win.

umm... alright im pretty sure i was looking for something a bit more in depth...
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 3:27 am
crux

reparations for slavery? ridiculous.
Post Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:47 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next