Search
Register
therapy
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Doctrine

Do you know what conviction about something is? TRUE conviction IS enough...

I know people who overcame coccaine with faith, will, and conviction alone...I'm not saying some people don't need therapists, but it's an overused method of dealing with things...
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:13 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
rlorg

I know those people too.

Therapy can help point you in the right direction, though.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:19 pm
Noisetonepause

Done therapy and prozack for a year ish untill last autumn. I'm alive now. I'm not sure I'd be without it - but I suppose no one can say.

-Paws
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:30 pm
Doctrine

rlorg wrote:
I know those people too.

True...Some people I do believe need therapy as a jump start...But all it does is reveal to you what you were able to do all along...You CAN overcome things without a therapist...
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:37 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
open

Doctrine wrote:
rlorg wrote:
I know those people too.

True...Some people I do believe need therapy as a jump start...But all it does is reveal to you what you were able to do all along...You CAN overcome things without a therapist...

there is an assumption in everything you're saying, about faith, will, conviction, that those things are the same for all people. perhaps others are not as strong as you... perhaps sometimes, though those things will inevitably be necessary, they(faith, will, conviction) alone are not enough to recover.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:44 pm
Native Legend

Sometimes when you get in trouble with the law, the courts order you to get a get a drug and alcohol evaluation and follow through with the recommendations. Giving you no choice, but to go into therapy. Which was my case in this matter.

Therapy does work if the person getting the therapy is willing in make a change. But other then that no one can help that person if they don't realize that they have a problem.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:27 pm
firefly

My ex-girlfriend has been sent to tons of therapists through out her life and it never made a difference. She hates them but is agreeing to go in hopes that I would take her back. She says she wants to get better and of course she wants to get better but she can't accept reality, because it is so painful and horribly sad. In fact, she doesn't even know what her Father did since she was an infant and her Mother never told her. Besides that, the rest of her life was extremely hard also.

Recently I had to call 911 because she was contemplating suicide (for the uptenth time) and was poping pills before I stopped her. When I called the cops she was in the bathroom with a knife. I managed to get the knife off of her before the pigs showed up. I told them not to touch her, that she'll come calmly or I'd restrain her. Once she was told that she has no choice but to come she went to the hospital. She was scarred as fuck lying in a bed with a thing in her vain to easily inject her with drugs or take out more blood.

I stayed with her the whole time and we saw the shrink together. She REALLY didn't want to have to spend the night there so she lied on almost every question the doctor asked. We later realized that even if she told the truth she would of been able to leave anyway, but would of been diagnosed as bi-polar and manic depressent.

I actually liked the doctor but she hated him because he said that "by the look on this man's face, he is no longer in love with you". Which is true, but she can't except it. We tried calling another doctor but I didn't like the sound of his voice. I really think that the doctor we saw at the hospital was a good man and was on point. But she won't see him. I don't think she necessary needs to see someone. It could help but first she was to deal with the truth.

Then again therapy worked for my Mom. She was in a psychiatric ward for six months (at around the same age as my x-girl) and she ended up having a great life and is now happier then ever.

I was forced to go to drug counsellor's and anger management therapists many times and I rarely saw anyone who actually benefits from it. Mostly because they were usually forced to go by the law or school and didn't give a shit. The same goes for many kids but being sent by their parents to deal with divorce.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 4:54 pm
open

firefly  Reply with quote  

thank you for sharing that.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:38 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

bullshit

only you can decide whats right for you.
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 10:27 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

MYOWNCLICHE wrote:
bullshit

i kind of agree but only speaking for myself of course..

if i never had someone 'point me in the right direction' when i needed it id be fucked right now.......in more ways then i wanna think about..

youve never been so lost in life before you just get to t he point of "what the fuck am i supposed to do now....?....and not even care?"
Post Fri Mar 12, 2004 11:14 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

bluntedinmichigan wrote:
MYOWNCLICHE wrote:
bullshit

if i never had someone 'point me in the right direction' when i needed it id be fucked right now.......in more ways then i wanna think about..

youve never been so lost in life before you just get to t he point of "what the fuck am i supposed to do now....?....and not even care?"

Or, what the fuck and get on with your own life?!!
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:04 am
WoodlandHobo

it's funny when you can tell just where any given conversation is going to go after a while.

funny in a bad way.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 1:29 am

Noisetonepause

MYOWNCLICHE wrote:
bullshit

Sometimes people get stuck in destructive cycles and need someone to help them break out of it.

-Paws
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 4:46 am
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

MYOWNCLICHE wrote:
bluntedinmichigan wrote:
MYOWNCLICHE wrote:
bullshit

Or, what the fuck and get on with your own life?!!

sometimes it aint that easy...
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 8:22 am
MYOWNCLICHE

I never said it was easy, actually it is possibly the hardest thing to do. But you got to do it.
Post Sat Mar 13, 2004 9:10 am

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next