Search
Register
So what do the English think of Americans?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

DMZ

this is a very lovely thread
very funny and nice to read
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 2:08 pm
emynd

Dorkasaurus is very irritable.
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:24 pm
DMZ

btw
you should call a retarded a retarded, even if its your mother
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:48 pm
dorkasaurus

dallasbboy wrote:

Another area hard to grasp, British humor. Laced heavily with cynicism and brutal wit. :)[/quote]

hey, i like british humor and all that, i've been to the uk, blah, blah, blah.

that said, what was humorous or witty about his initial post? that's right nada. mr. no mates may have been exaggerating about exmouth, but my post wasn't as serious as a heart attack either. and i get bitched out about not detecting humor...

i only had a problem with homie talking about his mom. i was expressing MY OPINION. m'kay? that doesn't make me irritable. though i'm sure rather than dispel those statements this post will only reaffirm them.

hey, sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me. that's right i'm bringing the old school comebacks, well, back. how about i'm rubber you're glue whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!

mr. no mates ought to be thanking me right now, he'll have to change his name to billy's got mates after this thread has run its course.
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 3:55 pm
DMZ

DMZ wrote:
this is a very lovely thread
very funny and nice to read
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:07 pm
emynd

dorkasaurus wrote:

that doesn't make me irritable. though i'm sure rather than dispel those statements this post will only reaffirm them.

Agreed, and your attempt to dispel the reaffirmation by pre-emptively acknowledging it was, unfortunately, unsuccessful.

I found Billy No Mates post funny and he should feel free to qualify his mother's intellect however he pleases. Let's not get into a discussion attempting to delineate the precise definition of wit and humor and let's just shut up. By the way, I'm sure he didn't meant to offend you by calling his mom "not smart" so don't take it so personally.

But, ya know, I'm irritable as well as irascible. So, fuck it.

Holleratchwodie and fuck a paper.

-e
Post Sun Feb 29, 2004 4:12 pm
absurd21_13

Sterotypes exist for a reason. People out of the US percieve americans as stupid ignorant fat asses. I cant say were not. i cant say we are either. Billy no mates if you lived in America for a couple of years i would bet you would change. Living in America will make you violent, want to use drugs, and become lazy. Some people get out of the phase and better themselves, but there are still a lot of crazy motherfuckers out there. I bet if i lived where you live i would be a different person.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 1:57 am
RaWaZwEl

Yo what u see and hear about this country might be true. But word son theres a lot of us struggling out here yo. Word im just one of those dudes who was born under that so called poverty level that this country doesnt feel proud of. I'm not trying to be racist or nothing but us so called minorities get the dick end of the stick. And I know yall get a lot of yalls generalizations about us from Hollywood. I peeped the end of the fuckin Academy awards and there wasn't one black or hispanic person who got an oscar. So if you think everyone in this country is living fat youve been misguided. Im pretty sure shit gets real over there and we dont hear about it. And thats fucked up. But i dont think we should stereotype eachother by what the Bastard media says. Its more real than that, cause in the end were all
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 6:16 am
Billy No More

I hear you.

It is true that most of people's perception of America comes through television and movies. This makes a lot of people falsely believe that America goes hand in hand with glamour, fame, and most important of all, riches. Shows like Friends don't help, as they show supposedly "strapped for cash" twenty-somethings who live in large apartments in NY. Not to mention through the course of the show, they've gone from crappy jobs to amazing ones. It makes it look like "everyone can make it in America!" Unfortunately in reality this is not the case. But we don't see that on TV.

I watched the Academy Awards last night, I swore to myself I wouldn't but my sleep has got fucked up lately, so I thought I might as well watch it. I have to say, it really makes me sick. Some of the dresses that were worn were not just worth thousands, but millions. I also hated the fact that nobody said anything profound in their speech, they just carried slapping each other on the back, which is all the award ceremony is. A bunch of rich fucks slapping each other on the back. The one person who mentioned the war, got made fun of by Billy "My own filmography is nothing to be proud of" Chrystal. I'm hoping to become a film maker myself, I make short films at the moment and I'm studying Media Arts at University. Every year I think what I would do if I won oscar (delusions of grandeur I know, but theoretically speaking). What would I say in my speech? Would I accept the award? Would I get up there and curse Hollywood? Although I guess I must of gone wrong somewhere if I'm even nominated for one. What really struck me though (which is the same thing that strikes me every year) is the extreme self importance of these people, they really do live inside a bubble. To think Micheal Moore got boo-ed for talking about the war, last year. WTF is wrong with these people? Anyway, enough of the Oscars.

Absurd, I see what your saying, as much as people look up to Americans (and for some reasons the pretentious fucks at awards ceremonies) people also hate Americans for what I described above (and more). But as I said, I don't personally hold these stereotypes within myself. I think that America has such a diverse culture and population that you can't generalise it into a paragraph. I don't think American's are all fat stupid ignorant fucks, I can see that there are plenty people who are not, from the intelligent folks who post on this and other message boards. But then nor do I think that Americans are all weathly, I understand they are people who struggle to make ends meet, and/or are held back due to prejudices againt them. The same thing happens in this country. Politicians keep telling us that we're are gaining acres of ground when it comes distrubution of wealth and evaporating prejudices. The truth is we will never have a true distrubution of wealth in captialist society, where a company's goal is only to make more money. Prejudices will never dissolve if we just use PC buzz words to cover them up, rather than tackling the root of the cause. We may have made a lot distance in the past fifty years, but America, Britain, and the world combined has a long, long, long way to go yet.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:17 am
barlow

I have been to America (Boston, mainly) several times, and I have made the following observations:

1: Nobody has a fucking clue what I am talking about!
I speak a strange language called "Teesside" (if you hace heard of Vic & Bob, very much like that), and use a lot of pretty odd expressions (I now live in Leeds, and people at work don't have a clue what I am talking about). A lot of what I say is sarcastic, but people seem to take it literally, no matter how ridiculous is seems. For example, I was walking past a security van with a friend, as it had just pulled up, so I said "I'll knock out the guards, you grab the bags and run", to which he replied "Dont be stupid, don't you know those people are armed, you fucking idiot!".
It has got to the point where i put my hand up when I am not serious, so they understand.

2: People get very excited about very small things. Example: "So, you guys have been shopping? What did you buy? Oh wow!! Socks!!!! Oh man, those are awesome! Wow, those socks are just like so cool!"

3: Despite being at the head of the industrial world, you still cannot make cars for shit. What the fuck is going on over there? You can land a man on the moon, Mars soon, probably, but you cant make a car that does 100 mph with less than a 3 litre engine, and that can drive more that 50k without bits falling off it.

4: Proper mans guitars are really cheap.

5: So is food

6: This may be a regional thing, but what they call "beer" in Boston (or even funnier "English Beer") does not really resemble anything drinkable.
That said, that is also true for London.

7: You have proper weather. It gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

8: You have proper halloweens.

I will think of more later.

Sorry if this is the first negative post in this thread, but I have my hand up as I am typing (yes, I am typing one handed).

Apart from the car bit, which is true.

PS: Dorkasaurus> I withdraw my offer of marriage!
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:41 am
MF TOON

dallasbboy wrote:
Another area hard to grasp, British humor. Laced heavily with cynicism and brutal wit. :)

I don't find it hard to grasp at all. Peter Sellers is easily my favorite comic actor of all time and some of the greatest film classics ever made are of British origin imo.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:11 am
neighborino

This is probably just because I AM American, but I always kind of looked at American dictation as a lack of an accent. Is this not true? It just seems to me that there's a lot less flair in american talking. Do people in England (whos accent is made fun of almost as much as the French's) think american "accents" are funny? This question sounds veeery ignorant, I know. Just curious.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:01 pm
Frezz

neighborino wrote:
This is probably just because I AM American, but I always kind of looked at American dictation as a lack of an accent. Is this not true? It just seems to me that there's a lot less flair in american talking. Do people in England (whos accent is made fun of almost as much as the French's) think american "accents" are funny? This question sounds veeery ignorant, I know. Just curious.

I agree with you. Maybe we're both ignorant fucks... i dunno.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:07 pm
doogs

Americans eh??----Well---- The ones i know take all jokes directed at them too personaly unless its the "your mom" type,
I never been to the America but the ones who come here are white middle class suburban teens/20^s with cash,not exceptionally extrovert but pretty confident. Similar to the kids in scream or traffic.
Oh --shit----I just remembered ^^i met some^art-media freaks over here studying in the summer,,,,they were over the top,stereotypical dykes,artfags,nerds,intellectuals,,,,wow,,,they were individualy good to talk to but the next night you see them out and they ignore you,,,,too weird.
Things i dont like
Guatanamo bay, guns, hype and spin,
(american journalism really annoys me)
Things i like
Chicken(they are bigger there),Snowparks, 60S beat novels,
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 10:39 pm
Billy No More

neighborino wrote:

It doesn't sound ignorant at all. I don't think people really make fun of the American accent at all. Maybe the southern accent a bit, and the whole "Have a nice day," thing. The thing that gets me about American's though is they always gush "wow, you have an accent!!!" whenever they hear a British person talk. Well of course we have an accent, everybody who can TALK has an accent.

Sage once made a post about how much he hates the Rhode Island accent. I think the RI accent sounds awesome. Joey's accent definitely does. I was listening to radio show he did in the download section again the other day. I love it when he gets mad towards the end and goes on this whole rant "I hate Hip Hop right now, I'm gonna play some SOUL music!!!" I was in stitches. He should do some more of those when he has time.
Post Mon Mar 01, 2004 11:25 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next