Search
Register
interview with Skope Magazine 2/19/04
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Skope Magazine 2/19/04  Reply with quote  

When did you decide that you wanted to pursue a career in music? Is there anything that makes you wish you hadn’t taken that road?

"The life of music and hiphop was the only thing I could think of while growing up, but it didn't seem all that practical so I just persued it as a very serious hobby. When I figured out that I could sustain a reasonable living by offfering my music and ideas to the public then I went for broke. I don't regret a single thing, because I know that there was no other decision to make. It was either this or incredible depression."

What was it like being a Hip-Hop artist coming from Providence, a city that at one point had its main music venue, Lupo’s Heartbreak Hotel, refuse to showcase Hip-Hop acts after a shooting outside its doors? Where did you find your influences?

"I'd like to comment on that shit. You know, I was the first hiphop act to get back into that club after the DMX shooting and its because we billed my band as a Rock and Roll group. It was very difficult for hiphoppers to get shine within RI but the people took control and made a scene for themselves. We used college radio, independently run venues and we infiltrated poetrys slams, open mics and whatever else was made available to us. All of my influences came from hiphop groups. Yadda yadda. There are so many to list off. Run DMC was the first concert I saw and it was insane. I bought every single hiphop tape I could get my grubby little hands on."

Besides Hip-Hop, you’re often affiliated with the artistic genre of Spoken Word. Do you find that your involvement with Spoken Word has a large part in what you do with your music? If so, what?

"The spoken word scene introduced me to a lot of new styles and a variety of folks. It was eye opening to say the least. It helped with my subject matter and approach. You can get away with rapping about how good you rap at a poetry reading. You are kicked in the ass. Well, at one point."

Along with such artists as Slug and Aesop Rock, your music is quickly being defined as “Emo Rap” and “Emo Hop” as it is introduced to the public eye. What are your feelings on this commercial labeling?

"I think it is sad. So sad that...I...I'm tearing up. Hold on.......uhmmmm...gosh, why are labels so MEAN? Why are people so MEAN AND UNFAIR???"

After being affiliated with an underground scene often associated with what would commercially be seen as having substandard album production qualities, what obstacles, if any, have you had to overcome in working on your upcoming album to be released on the much less “underground” Epitaph Label?

"I am making the best kind of album I can without compromising shit. As always. There are no new obstacles, just a bunch of old ones showing their ugly head. Right now my main obstacle is getting this thing done in a timely manner."

Your current tour with Non-Prophets is entitled the “Fuck Clear Channel Tour.” What sparked the title?

"Clear Channel is a corporation that has played a huge part in homogenizing each respective local scene around the country. It is important to make people aware of this. We can do better for ourselves. Do not let your local scene be watered down by the money monster. Resist whenever possible. Support independently run events."

On “That Ain’t Right,” a track off of your recent Non-Prophets release, Hope, you state “I attended candle light vigils for Matthew Shepard while you put out another ‘fuck you faggot’ record,” are there any specific artists you’re pointing the finger at?

"Almost every single rapper in the world."

With such rhymes as “I’m not left wing or right wing, I’m the middle finger,” it’s hard not to ask, any feelings on the current democratic primaries and upcoming 2004 presidential election?

"Kerry is a scary reality I am currently accepting. I really wish Dean would have kept up his pro wrestling muster. Alas, I will vote for the Democratic candidate that has the best chance in winning this election. Anyone with at least half of a brain will be doing the same thing."

Andy Kaulkin, President of Epitaph, recently stated, “I believe this could be the future of rock’n’roll” in reference to both your and Atmosphere’s recent signings. What are you feelings on this?

"I can see where he's coming from, and he is correct in many respects. Perhaps the style of what we do isn't the future of rock and roll, but our ethos and independence is reminiscent to the great artistic output of the 60's. We are a brand new past. Many groups could be rendered obsolete which is why we face so much resistance from the run of the mill types. Let em burn. Bullshit music has been king for far too long now."
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:44 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

"Alas, I will vote for the Democratic candidate that has the best chance in winning this election. Anyone with at least half of a brain will be doing the same thing." -Sage

I have half a brain I will to .
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:55 pm
pakilicious

Is the non-prophets forum inaccesible to these interviewers? Why do they repeatedly ask the same questions? "Why name it FCC tour?" "What sparked the FCC name?"

Shit ask him how big his dick is? Ask him When will he get married?
Fuck get something new.
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:20 pm
MYOWNCLICHE

I'M SUPPOSED TO GET MARRIED BUT I AM HAVING SECOND THOUGHTS
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:24 pm
Billy No More

Is that because you met me on the "Check out this odd Japanese flash game" thread?
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 11:44 pm
Jesse

Pakilicious wrote:
Shit ask him how big his dick is? Ask him When will he get married?
Fuck get something new.

Don't be silly, they're different journalists writing for different publications in different cities. It is something new, for each of them. It's not like there's some journalistic gestalt whereby every interviewer's tuned in to every question that's already been asked more than once ever to any given subject.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:23 am
pakilicious

bah... I was just being sarcastic as well kinda and just felt like taking it out on these people, dont mind me.
Post Sat Feb 21, 2004 4:27 am

Jump to: