Search
Register
interview with Fort Collins Weekly. 2/19/04
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Fort Collins Weekly. 2/19/04  Reply with quote  

Not that I really like them, but what have you against Clear Channel?

"They homogenize local scenes around the nation. They dictate what we are exposed to on the radio, in clubs and on billboards. They have stuck their corporate cock into our independence. What do you enjoy about Clear Channel and why are they running shit? Because people aren't aware of how the quality of their life is affected. It's a pleasure of mine to plant these seeds."

Has this made it difficult lining up gigs?

"No, it hasn't. And that's proof that they are a defeatable monster. There are still independently run venues out there...but they are dwindling. Almost every place I have played has mentioned to me that they've been in danger of getting bought out or bullied out of business by Clear Channel."

What are the Non-prophets all about? How is this different that a Sage Francis album?

"The Non-Prophets are about having fun while still getting a message across. We enjoy the hiphop of yesteryear and we revert back to it in order to change the direction it ended up in in 2004. It is different from my solo stuff because it's a collaborative effort as for as style and approach goes. Joe decided what all the beats would sound like and I decided what needed to go over those beats. Nothing too introspective, but a good amount of socially and politically conscious lyrics. And a hell of a lot of throwback lines."

Have you plans to do more of your own stuff in the future?

"Of course. That's my main focus. I signed a solo deal with Epitaph Records so I will be putting out three albums with them. Also, I just released Sickly Business and Dead Poet Live Album on my independent label, Strange Famous Records. For more info on how to order these items people can visit www.sagefrancis.net or email me at sageTSS@aol.com
thanks"
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:09 pm
emynd

Re: interview with Fort Collins Weekly. 2/19/04  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
" And a hell of a lot of throwback lines."

I love when Sage raps about throwback jerseys.

-e
Post Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:41 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Scene Magazine 2/19/04  Reply with quote  

Paul Wozniak

Why is the tour called the "Fuck Clear Channel" tour? I get the main gist,
but want to know specifically.

"They homogenize local scenes around the nation, about to go global. They dictate what we are exposed to on the radio, in clubs and on billboards. They have stuck their corporate cock into our independence. People aren't aware of how the quality of their life is affected in a negative way. It's a pleasure of mine to plant these seeds and help them understand the options they have in life."

In some hip hop, the words are lost in the beat, and the song becomes about
booty shaking at the club. How important is it that your fans know what you
are saying in your songs?

"Man, some people make music to dance to, others make music to say something. I obviously don't make music for people to dance to. As long as my music appeals to their ears they will hear what I am saying depending on their cognitive abilities. I reckon that a large percentage of my listeners don't get everything I am saying, but so what."

There are many messages on all the different songs on your record. Which
message from which song do you feel the strongest about?

"I am womanizer, hear me whore"

You make allusions to Barry Manilow, Ice-T, etc. on your record. Could you
give me an influence from each of the following genre/media?

"Ice T is a huge influence of mine. He was of the main intriguing characters that I listened to and watched. And I identified with him in some respects. He showed pain and wisdom and it came through in all different ways. I don't know shit about Barry Manilow."

Rap: Public Enemy, Run DMC, KRS, Ice-T, Rakim, LL Cool J, Beastie Boys
Rock and Roll: Neil Young, John Lennon
Disco: BeeGees
Television: Simpsons
Film: Good Will Hunting, Magnolia, Donnie Darko
Literature: Fast Food Nation, It, 1984

How well is the record selling?

"I haven't been given any updates on that. A lot of people tell me they have a hard time finding it, but I think it is selling well wherever its available. We are selling out shows around the country so something is happening."

Do you collaborate with anyone on the writing? Composing?

"I don't really do that, but every so often a good opportunity comes about. I like doing songs with rappers within my circle. Most recently I had the opportunity to do some stuff with Will Oldham and Bad Religion. Neither of those are definite yet, but I am excited by the prospect."

Where was the record laid down?

"At a studio on a dock in Portsmouth, RI called Terminal."
Post Fri Feb 20, 2004 10:20 pm

Jump to: