Register
EMAIL INTERVIEW FOR ALQ JOURNAL 2/17/04
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

EMAIL INTERVIEW FOR ALQ JOURNAL 2/17/04  Reply with quote  

1. Can you tell me a little bit about the title of the record, "Hope." I
have my ideas about what it means. What are yours?

"HOPE is the RI state motto, and we that word in a religious sense."

2. It's refreshing to hear beats that harken back to the early 90s, but I
read one review who called it traditional. That doesn't sit well with me. I
think it's still a rather progressive sound if you put it up against
mainstream rap. What are your thoughts?

"What do you think the word progressive means? If the beats harken back to the 90's they certainly aren't progressive. Don't be scared by tradition, friend. There are great things that live in the past and we don't often improve upon them without reverting back every so often."

3. How did Epitaph approach you?

"On the telephone. They told me they were into my message and approach. They checked out my albums and then saw me perform in LA. Then they asked me to be on the Punk-O-Rama compilation. I was definitely excited about all of this."

4. If you're like me, you hate terms like "nerd rap" or "emo-rap." Why do
you think whoever comes up with these terms feel the need to categorize
rappers who have actual content in their music? Also, is that what is most
important to you, content as compared to just raw beats?

"People come up with terms because it allows us to be lazy. Whatever they end up calling me doesn't matter, because the word changes every couple years or so. None of these terms are all encompassing and most people understand that. It's a joke of sorts. Content is very important to me, but if there is a raw sound that hits just the right way then that shit usually beats out content. It is a special mix."

5. I downloaded "Hey Bobby" and flipped. I also write songs of the same ilk
and try to not be preachy or self-righteous but it doesn't always work. Does
that ever concern you?

"It is not really my place to be preachy. It is my place to resist my surroundings and raise questions I think deserve answers. I don't have it all figured out, but I have a keen sense when people are getting screwed over. I can't be happy in life if I know there is an injustice occuring within my reach. I have to address it. There's no other way I can live. If I try to ignore it the ghosts eat at my ears."

6. I respect your DIY ethic. I feel that with the Internet and all, it's
going to be easier for artists to make inroads without a label. What have
you found to be the most important element in doing what you do? Touring,
distribution, marketing....?

"The most important element has been staying accessible. I was on call 24 hours a day for many years. I grabbed every single opportunity that came my way and made the most of each outlet. People tend to get selective with their business and outlets much too early in their career and it stunts them. By creating a strong sense of independence, people become aware that you are the one they need to deal with, and that eliminates all the hands that want to make their way into your cookie jar. It is all consuming, but in the end it is worth it if you make the kind of music people choose to support."

Thanks,

Kevin
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:03 pm

Jump to: