Search
Register
interview with Denton Record-Chronicle 2/17/04
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

interview with Denton Record-Chronicle 2/17/04  Reply with quote  

How did this Non-Prophets project come about? Who approached who?

"The Non-Prophets consists of myself doing all the lyrics and Joe Beats on all the production. We met in college back in 1997. We started making music together as the Non-Prophets in 1998 and we've always had plans of releasing a full length album. Due to the slow nature of the industry, our lack of financial backing, and the tedious nature of our music, it took about 5 years for this album to get made. Lex Records asked if they could put out our album and we said yes. It was released in Oct of 2003 and it has been selling very well. We're pleased."

There seems to be anomosity in the tone of what Non-prophets are trying to do or say with their music. Is there any truth to that statement?

"Some people will never have the ability to figure out the face value from the tongue in cheek and I am certainly not in the business of disecting myself for the sake of slow rollers. Let em burn."

What's Non-prophet's definition of hip-hop?

"You know, there's no answer to that question. It is a label that continues to change. There's no such thing as race. There's no such thing as hiphop. But we've come to believe that these things exist without a fraction of a doubt. What is hiphop? It is me rapping words that rhyme in a rhythmic manner. No DJ. No graf. No B-Boys. No internet. Just me."

How important is it to have street cred to be legit in the hip-hop world?

"I think it is very important if all you talk about is your street cred."

What do you think of whitesuburbia showing up at shows -- do you think the music is universal?

"Holy cow. What kind of a question is that really? Do I think music is universal? Do you think toothpaste is anal lube?"

Do you think there is a typical audience for hip hop that illustrates that you're
succesful at the game or do you welcome any audience?

"I have no expectations of my potential listenership. They come in all shapes and sizes and if they listen to me and hear what I say....if they actually hear what I say and absorb it...I love them."

What do you think is your role in the hip-hop community?

"My role is to challenge the status quo and make people realize they aren't safe in their little boxes."

We just had the hip-hop Summit here, a event that promotes the advancement of hip-hop and the people who thrive on it? What do you think your role is in that?

"I advance hiphop by contributing alternative methods and ideology to it. I don't just get on the mic and rehash successful formulas. If my job was to repeat the past over and over I would shoot myself in the face with a potato gun. I wouldn't die but I would feel like shit. Thanks for the interview. I hope hiphop makes your children look ill."
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:01 pm
rerog

Damn, leave it to my hometown paper to ask the worst questions...see you at the show, but I dont think I'll be picking up tomorrows paper.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:04 pm
jehu

[quote}
What do you think of whitesuburbia showing up at shows -- do you think the music is universal?

"Holy cow. What kind of a question is that really? Do I think music is universal? Do you think toothpaste is anal lube?"

[/quote]

that is one hell of an answer.

ha ha

- jehu
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 11:23 pm

Jump to: