Search
Register
Not Bad Sage...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

CPFitz14

Not Bad Sage...  Reply with quote  

Not sure if this has been posted. Nice Work. Best song of 2003 isn't too shabby.

http://www.hifiny.com/bestof2003_mp3_for_all.html

Quote:

1. Non-Prophets, "Hey Bobby"
A precise, scathing indictment of George Bush's America backed by stripped-down beats, "Hey Bobby" is the rare song that (dare I say it?) rocks with purpose. The lyrics are among the smartest ever heard in a rap song, while the spare, old-school production (think Digable Planets, c. 1993) both charms and intensifies. Pretty perfect.
:: non-prophets.com

Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 7:55 pm
Royal-T

weak. That wasn't even close to the nicest Sage/Non prophets track of the year.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:17 pm
Rhino

Definately not weak. That song speaks volumes about the state of affairs today.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:20 pm
curiouscharles

i'll snap to that
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 8:29 pm
Royal-T

The_Rhino wrote:
Definately not weak. That song speaks volumes about the state of affairs today.

whatever hippy. It's good from a lyric standpoint but that means dick all cause the beat didn't compliment the lyrics at all and the lyrics weren't delivered as well as they could have been. I'd go as far as saying the beat made the track about 50 times less enjoyable. And wow talks about the state of affairs of today what a ground breaking thing to do, shit there hasn't been a thousand tracks about the exact same thing in the past year or anything. the dude who made up that list is full of shit, he's one of those indy rock losers who recently stumbled upon hiphop. Out of every 2003 non-prophets track that wouldn't even be in their top 5 tracks let alone the top song of the year period. And this guy is obviously a fricking joke, look at the mf doom track he picked, not even close to the nicest on vik vaughn. Hey Bobby was way better as a spoken word. The beat totally ruined the mood of the lyrics.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:18 pm
CPFitz14

Speak for yourself. People have different tastes. Get used to it.

Hey Bobby would be in my Top 5, and I'm damn fucking well entitled to my personal opinion.
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:21 pm
Doctrine

Royal-T wrote:

whatever hippy. It's good from a lyric standpoint but that means dick all cause the beat didn't compliment the lyrics at all and the lyrics weren't delivered as well as they could have been. I'd go as far as saying the beat made the track about 50 times less enjoyable. And wow talks about the state of affairs of today what a ground breaking thing to do, shit there hasn't been a thousand tracks about the exact same thing in the past year or anything. the dude who made up that list is full of shit, he's one of those indy rock losers who recently stumbled upon hiphop. Out of every 2003 non-prophets track that wouldn't even be in their top 5 tracks let alone the top song of the year period. And this guy is obviously a fricking joke, look at the mf doom track he picked, not even close to the nicest on vik vaughn. Hey Bobby was way better as a spoken word. The beat totally ruined the mood of the lyrics.

I agree with what you say...Though you sound like Jack Black's character in the movie High Fidelity...It's OPINION man...Opinion...

I must say I think you hit it on the head about him just being an indie rocker who just stumbled upon hip hop...
Post Sun Feb 15, 2004 11:31 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
bobbythebear

Sage being #1 is good news, and if its not the track you like, at least its the artist . . . or does that not pacify your elitist standards?

whatever man
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 12:09 pm
Royal-T

bobbythebear wrote:
Sage being #1 is good news, and if its not the track you like, at least its the artist . . . or does that not pacify your elitist standards?

whatever man

Hey I'm not dissing sage at all clowny, that's cool that he's number one but if i was sage I'd be disapointed that the author of the article has absolutely no idea about hiphop and chose a track that didn't even compare to other shit he's done over the past year.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 8:00 pm
Doctrine

Royal-T wrote:
Hey I'm not dissing sage at all clowny,

Peter...That's a TERRIBLE word to say........."Clowny"...
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:14 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CPFitz14

I didn't mean to stir up an argument here. Ah well. Just happy regardless of what track. You didn't have to go all walkie talkie on me.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:36 pm
Frezz

Doctrine wrote:
Royal-T wrote:

hehe... my turn.

Uh, Mr. Weed... I heard you saw my twin brother at the ball game yesterday. And if you don't buy that, I'm sorry I was at the ball game yesterday.
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:43 pm
firefly

I love the fucking beat from "hey bobby." I pumps me up almost as much as the lyrics
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:17 pm
firefly

Doctrine wrote:
Royal-T wrote:

That's my new word for me to use.

My favorite is "Scarfy, SCAR-FI - Slow talking upper class snob who wears a scarf."
Post Mon Feb 16, 2004 11:20 pm
Fladlien

I'm taking the unfavorable opinion that "Hey Bobby" the track was very weak. Something was missing.

When I saw Sage do the spoken word for "Hey Bobby", on the other hand, it was very impressive.
Post Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:19 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next