Search
Register
inerview with Madison's Ithsumus newspaper 2/10/04
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Press/Interviews/reviews

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

inerview with Madison's Ithsumus newspaper 2/10/04  Reply with quote  

Interview questions from Al Ritchie for ISTHMUS newspaper, Madison WI.

What led to your initial love for hip-hop back when you were a child, and when did you realize you possessed an inate ability to rhyme? Is it true you started when you were eight?

"Rhyming is an aesthetically pleasing literary device. It appealed to me as a kid as it does to all kids. And it is fairly easy to do. I used to play rhyme games with my mom starting at a very young age. When I was 8 I began writing raps and emulating my hiphop heros."

You've been amazingly prolific over the last few years. To what do you credit this extended surge of creativity?

Well, I put out about one album per year, and some of these tracks date back to years when I wasn't putting out any material. I am surprised that I've been able to put out as much as I have, but I certainly don't feel like I have come close to drying up my creative well. There are always waves of concepts, words and ideas that flood my mind and it is my job to catch some of these things and place them in some tangible form."

What, in your mind, is the aesthetic/artistic difference between mainstream and so-called "alternative" rap? Should this distinction exist? And is it a good thing or an obstacle in terms of someone like yourself finding an audience?

"It is very simple. Mainstream music is music that is made available to the masses. It recieves major media attention. Underground music is the stuff that doesn't get much (if any) publicity, promotion or financial backing. There is no way you can make everything mainstream, so the distinction is inevitable. As for me, I appreciate having a fanbase who had to claw through some dirt in order to find me, because I'll be god damned if my music is shoved down their throat the way (insert current flash in the pan artist's name here) is."

Which, if any, mainstream artists (rappers or otherwise) would you enjoy working with, and why?

"I think Busta Rhymes is incredibly skillful. Jay Z is as clever as they come in the mainstream. But if I were to collab with a mainstream artist I would try to make it happen outside of hiphop. I'd go for a Scarlett Johanson collabo or something."

Please explain your thoughts and motivations in naming your current tour "Fuck Clear Channel."

"Sadly enough, Epitaph Records made me do it. It was in our contract. I sure wish they didn't do that, because I've been dying for some radio airplay."

It's one thing for an established band like Pearl Jam to take on TicketMaster, but it's quite something different for a young, emerging artist to assail the mighty Clear Channel. Good for you for showing the courage to buck the system, but aren't you potentially risking a lot?

"Ahhh. So my answer didn't trick you? Haha. Yes, I suppose I am risking a career that could shine twice as bright for half as long. I'd rather die unknown than put aside my laurels and integrity for the sake of stardome. Shit like that holds no presedence in the world I operate within."

I understand you're planning to perform with both a live band and with prerecorded beats on this tour. Could you elaborate a little on your plans and why you've chosen a varied approach to your performances?

"I wish I could do the whole thing with the band, but the mood that the Gimme Fund creates doesn't work well with a lot of the Non-Prophets material. So we kept a bulk of the Non-Prophets set seperate from the live band set. I like to have variety anyway."

One last question: How do I know you're really Sage Francis? :)

"Man, no one else in this world would do these email interviews as incessantly as I do. I certainly wouldn't pay anyone to do them. heh. But ummm...I am on the third floor of the Ottobar in Baltimore waiting to perform. I am about to go scratch my name in the bathroom with my key. You can check up on it when you get a chance. thank you."
Post Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:27 pm
k-deep

aww. poor sage.. epitaph MADE him do the tour... heh.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:19 am
Netsmad

hmmm  Reply with quote  

I'm in Madison...I'll have to keep an eye out for that. Can't wait for the Luthers Blues show.
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 3:25 am
marge

nestmad-it's at the Annex.
www.intheannex.com
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 1:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jesse

Heh... and just how would a collaboration with Scarlet Johanssen work out?

No wait, I have an idea...

Working title:

Girl With A Pearl Necklace
Post Tue Feb 10, 2004 4:51 pm
Netsmad

okay..  Reply with quote  

Thanks Marge. I thought they had switched it from the Annex to Luthers for some reason.
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 1:14 pm
marge

It got switched back again I guess. Their website says it's 21 and over, this site says it's 18+...
Post Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:55 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shapeshifter

Re: inerview with Madison's Ithsumus newspaper 2/10/04  Reply with quote  

Sage Francis wrote:
I'd rather die unknown than put aside my laurels and integrity for the sake of stardome. Shit like that holds no presedence in the world I operate within."

Right on
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:41 am
coma emilio

Jesse wrote:
Heh... and just how would a collaboration with Scarlet Johanssen work out?

No wait, I have an idea...

Working title:

Girl With A Pearl Necklace

hahaha.

dodgy mental images AHOY!
Post Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:48 am

Jump to: