First of all, I'm a huge fan of your style. It's hypnotic how clearly
the rhymes bleed with darkness, frustration, intelligence and real,
relatable experience. My room has had the Live Band Dead Poet poster
you signed on display since you came last year, so thank you for that
and also for answering my questions.

"Well thank you for the compliment. It's nice that I am thought of that way."

You did spoken word before your rap career took of, an experimental
form to say the least. Did that contribute to the uniqueness of your
style? How and why did you start rapping?

"Well I started rapping at a very early age. Eventually I branched off into other artistic mediums just because...that's what happens. People expand. I discovered new ways of expressing myself and I did my best to incorporate everything into each other. I suppose my upbringing and environment was a bit out of the ordinary, which translates in my approach. I guess."

What is your opinion on people downloading and copying your music? Do
you think this technology could eventually topple monopolies like
Clear Channel? Do stupid people deserve corporatized music?

"I am a huge proponent of music sharing programs. It puts the people in power, rather than the record labels. People decide for themselves what is worth the hype and what isn't. I don't know if technology will ever tear down the establishment because corporations are always finding a way to use these technologies against the people. Every so often we find a loophole. I guarentee this free music trade was never even considered, and they have a monster on their hands. Its lovely. And no, stupid people don't deserve fast food without being given the option to eat quality, organic food. If they choose the shit food, then that's on them. And that's what makes them stupid. But they are not stupid if they are never given the chance to make a proper choice."

Most people see underground music as anything anti-corporate. Who
else, in your opinion, is pushing rap music beyond it's somewhat
restrictive borders and what do you hope to see become the future of rap?

"I know a lot of underground cats who are not anti-corporate. They are just underground because they aren't talented enough to be anything else. That's the nature of it sometimes. As for people who are pushing RAP beyond the borders, that is very relative. The obvious answer to me is the one that makes a lot of people cringe. Buck 65, Sole, and Dose are pushing it beyond the confines of what most people think hiphop should be. And then you have someone like Andre3000 who isn't even doing hiphop at all but he is categorized that way because...he used to do it? They're all homosexuals as far as I'm concerned. And they'll never make it in the book of life."

You've toured for months straight through America and Europe. Talk
about life on the road.

"I am a freight train with blood shot eyes. Life on the road is damaging to the mind, body and spirit, but sometimes you sense the magic again. When conditions are perfect, that magic that instigated this violent snow ball effect in the first place emerges its ugly head and I get to grab hold of the horns and ride it into the sunset. The pieces of the puzzle fall into place for one noticeable moment before entropy takes over again. But I cherish that moment and keep looking for them. I will die here, which kinda sucks. Book of life...save room for my name, yo!"

How would you describe your writing process? How much does a song
change when you and Joe start experimenting with beats?

"I can't explain it properly, because it is so scattered. But then sometimes a huge bulk of ideas come together and verse happens. Most of this stuff gets tossed out, but I fish for the gems. I just stay open 24 hours a day and never reject the word combinations as they come to me. I have a lot of stuff that just sits on the back burner until the right beat comes along. As for what i do with Joe, he gives me the beats and I either write to them straight or dig through my stuff and see what fits it best. His stuff is actually the most difficult shit for me to write to because it is so structured. It's a good challenge and I like the kind of music it results in."

What are your favorite movies and books?

"I love the movie Sweet and Low Down with Sean Penn. I am a huge movie fan, so I can't really name my favorites. As for books, Fast Food Nation and It."

is it true you never drink, smoke, or eat red meat? What do you have
to say to a college town that averages a higher blood alcohol level than
GPA?

"What do I have to say? May the bruises you give your children fade faster than your hang over. Cunts."
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 10:01 pm
Jesse

What? First you respond graciously rather than caustically to obsequious praise, and then you're a huge proponent of downloading music!?

Are you chilling out or what? ^_^
Post Thu Feb 05, 2004 11:19 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I have been a huge supporter of napster-like programs ever since...napster.

There was a short period when I first became aware of Napster that I was pissed when I found out people were downloading my music instead of buying it, and then a few months later I saw how it all panned out. That shit propelled us into the underworld's consciousness.
Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:19 am
Jesse

Yeah, I know. I just remember certain incidents with cats downloading Personal Journals and coming here to rub your face in it... plus, you know, "I downloaded your life off of the internet; totally worth it!"

I just expected more of a "it's cool as long as you still feed me" type of response more than a "go forth and multiply, young friends!"

But I guess it is what it is, eh? Blah blah freakin' blah.
Post Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:53 am

Jump to: