Search
Register
NPR. i just can't stand it.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

duke_city

The best interview ever on NPR had to be.

Terry Gross interviewing Gene Simmons.

Most entertaining interview yet.

Heres a transcript of it, if anyone has the real audio version please post it.

http://www.maniahill.com/funny/Gene_Simmons_Terry_Gross_Fresh_Air_02_04_2002.htm
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:10 pm
emynd

awww damn wrote:

They review good shit and they obviously have decent taste in music, but the way they write is like "I'm going to show off how many philosophy classes I took", making references to Guy Debord or the paintings of Gerhard Richter when they are reviewing Missy Elliot. I kid you not. It's like to balance out all the obscure music they feature, they have to throw in a Jay Z or a Missy Elliot review in there just so they can say that appreciate the artistic merit of commercial music in a fucking high brow, obnoxious way. but there aren't very many magazines that cover a lot of the music The Wire does, so you read what you can get to learn about new music, even if it is in a lame, self-indulgent professor mode.

This is precisely how I feel about pitchforkmedia.com.

And their sudden interest in mainstream Black music is really odd to me. At times it's intelligent, but often it seems extremely inauthentic.

But, all my criticisms of anything are based on my own personal insecurities, so fuck it. I'm an idiot.

-e
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 2:37 pm
Dee

The reason for that primarily is that they had a whole bunch of staff turnover...guys like Rollie pemberton and Scott PL are new - they both know their shit about non-indie-rock. Rollie's very knowledgeable about hip hop in general....

Edit: Although I jus read his reviews of singles this week and they are below par for his usual review style. His reviews of the Non-Prophets album and the Santana album are fantastic though.

And why the fuck is pitchfork so far behind in reviewing singles!? Salt Shaker has been out as a single for EVER, and they finally review it?

Last edited by Dee on Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:35 pm
Dee

Regarding the Wire, I'm not v. familiar with it, cuz its expensive as shit and I'd rather just pick up Urb or something but the few times I've read it it was awesome - once was a couple articles/interviews on Sun Ra for my Junior independent study last semester, and I've also read some stuff on like Vincent Gallo and electronic music and shit - it seemed really helpful. Great writing. I wish a subscription wasn't so expensive though.

I think its cool that they are trying to cover more music - I don't know anyone that JUST likes obscure music (especially now when like nearly every non-B2k song on BET is really good) but I agree that looking at it with that sorta psuedo-intellectual stuff is obnoxious.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 5:47 pm
Machiavel

eh,
get over yourself.

I, personally am sick of this "Pseudo-Anti-Pseudo-Intellectual" nonsense. I guess its easier to say no one know's how to think than to think for oneself. Yeah, you can take that as self refering.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:33 pm
Niggamortis

Machiavel wrote:

I, personally am sick of this "Pseudo-Anti-Pseudo-Intellectual"
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:07 pm
mr self distrukt

actually i'm just anti-elitism.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:06 pm
Dee

mr self distrukt wrote:
actually i'm just anti-elitism.

elitist.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:11 pm
kese

Radio Raheem wrote:
Machiavel wrote:

It's like hiphoppers who think it's not cool to be smart. There's a place for highbrow news, and writing.Personally I'd rather have my news portrayed in an intelligent manner, as opposed to the other alternatives. Why get pissed about something being intelligent. There's this whole "anti"-movement that's going on, cause it's even cooler than cool to be "anti-cool". It makes sense to a point, but it starts to get rediculous after a while.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:53 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CassieSnow

This is getting silly….
I eagerly await the subject line: “The British always sound so pompous because of that prissy accent”

I actually take this personally because though I understand your general point, I listen to NPR constantly and think it’s a breath of fresh air to hear discussions about relevant topics from across the board. “This American Life” is the most well produced and interesting talk show on the radio.

Listening is not a middle-class badge, and believe it or not, neither is a Harvard bumper sticker or a North Face vest. People get put off by things they feel don’t apply to them, so they diss the 9-5 and avoid investing money in the stock market. Others never considering voting or attending a protest. Buying a certain car or sewing a patch to your pants shouldn’t confine you as an individual, and neither should listening to a particular radio station. I laugh at NPR often, and I love it. The signs are always saying dissent is patriotic.

But to criticize NPR for sounding smart & calling that intelligence elitism? Well, they are smart. Dumbing things down for the masses is not always the smartest way to get a point across. People in the media should know how to speak English well and articulate their opinions, and I believe indulging in academia can be fabulous. You will find street credentials and basement shows with the same 5 sausages in the audience don’t offer “solutions” to the “problem” either. Do words inside quotation marks bother you? Constantly complaining about what’s shitty and bourgeoise or whack or different gets exhausting and becomes pretty distracting.
NPR has its place, as does Hot 97, but to so strongly complain about it for being elitist sounds like a journalistic pout from some salty anarchist. The Wire, Anticon, The Economist & NPR could all be criticized for their “collegiate approach”. Just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean it’s irrelevant. Dumbass.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 2:57 pm
Dee

kese wrote:
Radio Raheem wrote:
Machiavel wrote:

It's like hiphoppers who think it's not cool to be smart. There's a place for highbrow news, and writing.Personally I'd rather have my news portrayed in an intelligent manner, as opposed to the other alternatives. Why get pissed about something being intelligent. There's this whole "anti"-movement that's going on, cause it's even cooler than cool to be "anti-cool". It makes sense to a point, but it starts to get rediculous after a while.

this isn't new dude.

Is this pomo? Or popomo?
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:00 pm
Awww Ðämn

no, it is about intellectual posturing  Reply with quote  

kese wrote:

It's like hiphoppers who think it's not cool to be smart.

um, no. it's like Patrick Bateman, the character from American Psycho when he has dinner with his yuppie friends at a posh restaurant and starts pontificating about the sociopolitical ills of Africa as if he really gave a fuck.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:31 pm
mr self distrukt

Re: no, it is about intellectual posturing  Reply with quote  

awww damn wrote:

um, no. it's like Patrick Bateman, the character from American Psycho when he has dinner with his yuppie friends at a posh restaurant and starts pontificating about the sociopolitical ills of Africa as if he really gave a fuck.

thank you awww damn, that example perfectly illustrates my point.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 3:43 pm
kese

djdee2005 wrote:

this isn't new dude.

Is this pomo? Or popomo?

Was that a shot at my calling sage's album cover post-postmodenism?
If it was: "damn good shot my friend." (said in a pretensious British accent)

Awwww. I see your point, but what if they do care? If they're anti-mega media they're cool with me, at least they're not Clear Channel. Nah' mean.
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 4:50 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alxotty

I would love to hear NPR inteview Mobb Deep
NPR:"So, you guys really present the Machiavellian ethic that is required for survival on the streets of East Coast American Metropolis slums in a very (insert enlightermnet philoshes name here) esque manner. Where does you inspiration come from, dun?"

Prodidgy:"Nigga, what?"
Post Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next