Search
Register
NPR. i just can't stand it.
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

mr self distrukt

NPR. i just can't stand it.  Reply with quote  

on paper, it looks perfect... progressive views, international politics & news, current events and relevant topics. but when it comes down to it i just can't stand the pandering collegiate approach that they present everything. it pisses me off to no end when i hear a basic story about cold weather and it's rife with upper-middle class elitist bullshit. not to mention the fucking reporters employ that annoying technique i like to call "seventh grade creative writing." you know- that point where you think you sound smart because instead of calling a dog a "dog," you call it "a four-legged domesticated mammal commonly found in american domiciles" or some shit like that. no, you're not being creative. no, you're vocabulary is not as "robust" as your dog-earred thesaurus leads us to believe and you're not even appearing well-educated- you're just a fucking chicken tryin to front like a peacock.

not to mention, i know very few genuine people that listen to it. just yuppies and people in my office who all suffer from some middle class guilt. but when it comes down to it, they kiiiiinda like their morning starbucks or they kiiiiiiinda find their beemer to be a necessity. these same fucks who don't hesitate to tell you how you can live better while their shit is all in money-grubbing shambles.

listening to npr does not make them enlightened and it certainly doesn't make them a part of the solution.

the only thing i've come close to stomaching is that fucking car show.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:29 am
Illustr8

Not to be a tool but for a guy harping on quasi-intelligence you could be "they're" poster boy with "you're" misuse of words.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:44 am
mr self distrukt

well i see only one misuse of "you're" instead of "your."
but what else have i misused?

and thanks for missing the point.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:52 am
Illustr8

I never missed the point but you shouldn't trash on pseudo-intellectualism if you can't even command the language. It's not like you made a typo...
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:53 am
esreV-eR
sir-n00balot

Garrison Keiler(sp) is the shit
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 11:58 am
Awww mn

Illustr8 wrote:
I never missed the point but you shouldn't trash on pseudo-intellectualism if you can't even command the language.
everyone should be able to trash on pseudo-intellectualism regardless of a spelling error. give me a fucking break.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:06 pm
Kynx

Yeah, no shit. When you're typing out a rant you should beable to without someone jumping at the chance to point out an absent minded error.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:09 pm
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MessiahCarey

Arguing over grammar?

I feel you, Bob. Entirely.

- Shane
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:14 pm
duke_city

NPR is surely better than CNN and network news yeah?

Remember NPR carries a lot of international programs as well like Pacific time, Latino USA, and BBC news radio as well.

Not to mention excellent programs like the already mentioned Prarie Home Companion and This American Life.

Also each major NPR broadcast city in the US has their own news team, the San Diego news team does not sound nearly as bad as you descirbed.

I suggest tuning in onlywhen the programs you like are on.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:22 pm
MessiahCarey

I don't know that it's all that better, or worse, than CNN, etc.

They're ALL run by PEOPLE. And most people, regardless of where they work, have agendas.

NPR chooses to attack issues that CNN won't, granted - but they don't do it in a very journalistic fashion if you ask me. It's good to hear one side of the story on issues you normally wouldn't hear about - and that DOES have its place, sure.

- Shane
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:35 pm
emynd

awww damn wrote:
Illustr8 wrote:
I never missed the point but you shouldn't trash on pseudo-intellectualism if you can't even command the language.
everyone should be able to trash on pseudo-intellectualism regardless of a spelling error. give me a fucking break.

Well, yeah, but the point is, he was trashing the psuedo-intellectual use of language as well. So, I think it's a somewhat valid point.

But who cares really? I completely agree with his argument. All I'm saying is that that doesn't mean his rant is itself above criticism.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:14 pm
Dee

Re: NPR. i just can't stand it.  Reply with quote  

mr self distrukt wrote:

the only thing i've come close to stomaching is that fucking car show.

I was about to get pissed at you, and then I read the last line. Good call. My momz loves that show.....she def ain't yuppie material.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:19 pm
Awww mn

emynd wrote:

Well, yeah, but the point is, he was trashing the psuedo-intellectual use of language as well. So, I think it's a somewhat valid point.
i think the point is not there. criticising the use of pretentious, "decorated" vocabulary is not the same as critisizing a spelling error obviously made out of haste.

but back to the topic.

there are many a time i find myself annoyed when listening to the pedantic hogwash that is featured on shows like All Things Considered, etc. It is kind of like how i get annoyed with The Wire. They review good shit and they obviously have decent taste in music, but the way they write is like "I'm going to show off how many philosophy classes I took", making references to Guy Debord or the paintings of Gerhard Richter when they are reviewing Missy Elliot. I kid you not. It's like to balance out all the obscure music they feature, they have to throw in a Jay Z or a Missy Elliot review in there just so they can say that appreciate the artistic merit of commercial music in a fucking high brow, obnoxious way. but there aren't very many magazines that cover a lot of the music The Wire does, so you read what you can get to learn about new music, even if it is in a lame, self-indulgent professor mode.

anyway, i guess what i am saying is. there are many things about npr that bugs me. but i don't know very many other media outlets where i get to hear Wayne Kramer or William T Vollmann get interviewed on, so i take it bullshit and all.
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:39 pm
Scottie

NPR can be cool at times...

check it out mf doom....

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1452062
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:53 pm
Scottie

and Prefuse 73

http://www.npr.org/features/feature.php?wfId=1419305
Post Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next