Search
Register
Hunter S. Thompson
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Mojo the helper monkey

Hunter S. Thompson  Reply with quote  

Hunter Thompson writes articles for ESPN Magazine. They're usually pretty good. Sorry if this has been posted before. Here's the archive: Hunter S. Thompson

Here's an article: http://espn.go.com/page2/s/thompson/030909.html

The Bush League
by Hunter S. Thompson

Why are we seeing George Bush on TV every two hours for nine or ten days at a time, like some kind of mutated Mr. Rogers clone? Something is dangerously wrong in any country where a monumentally-Failed backwoods politician can scare our national TV networks so totally that they will give him anything he wants.

The answer to that one comes in two parts. One is that Bush will have to run for re-election next year, which three months ago seemed like a harmless waltz -- but which is now looking like a dangerous gang-fight that Bush might not win because his overall game plan for Iraq was so hopelessly flawed that it could never have been successful. It was arrogant and ignorant and stupid, and now the vultures are coming home to roost.

Tragic, eh? No. In fact, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy. I believe very strongly that George Bush can and shall be beaten like a gong in next year's extremely-important election, where he won't be the only jackass politician running for his life.

Dubya always seems to make us laugh.
Who gave George Bush permission to pre-empt and butt into NFL football games and turn pre-game ceremonies into a half-bright rave about rebuilding a nation that we just bombed back into the Stone Age? What kind of cowardly swine would freely give $25 million (?) worth of commercial time to any political candidate in a presidential election year?

How about the greed-blind Commissioner of the National Football League? Does that sound right? You bet it does, bubba. It was Paul Taglibue who let the egg-sucking weasel from Texas into the hen-house, because he thought it was necessary at the time.

My darkest fear right now is that we will be seeing George W. Bush on NFL TV every Sunday for the rest of this year, and far into the winter and maybe all next year until election day rolls around, constantly jabbering about how his jackass war on the nation of Islam is joined at the hip with the nature of football in America and especially the NFL. If you love to watch anything that looks like professional American football, you will also love the brutal culture of War and all the murderous violence that goes right along with it. Right. In war, you do 200 pushups a day; and in pro football, you do about 50. In war, you carry a nine-pound, full-auto assault rifle at all times; and in football, you carry a pointed leather ball.

They are both profoundly violent and cruel and utterly unforgiving, and they both require public brutality by people wearing elaborate uniforms. I have tried them both for long periods of time, and I frankly see no basic similarity at all beyond the powerful desire to hurt people.

As for gambling on NFL games, I managed to win about 64% of my bets for the week, which is not good enough to justify getting addicted to it.

Dr. Hunter S. Thompson was born and raised in Louisville, Ky. His books include "Hell's Angels," "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," "Fear and Loathing: On the Campaign Trail '72," "The Great Shark Hunt," "The Curse of Lono," "Generation of Swine," "Songs of the Doomed," "Screwjack," "Better Than Sex," "The Proud Highway," "The Rum Diary," and "Fear and Loathing in America." His latest book, "Kingdom of Fear," has just been released. A regular contributor to various national and international publications, Thompson now lives in a fortified compound near Aspen, Colo. His column, "Hey, Rube," appears regularly on Page 2.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 2:22 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I got my hands on this (seemingly) obscure Hunter S Thompson biography called Hunter, written by E. Jean Carroll.

It is one of the strangest things I have ever read.

I don't take all of it at face value because Hunter has been known to exercise a fair amount of hyperbole, but a lot of the shit in this book actually did happen.

One story that makes me bust my gut is when he ran for Sheriff in Placid Aspen, CO.

from pages 266 and 277 of Carroll's Hunter:

The night of the election Hunter had the flag wrapped around him and the blond wig on. He had shaved his head because there were a series of debates scheduled between he and the standing sheriff, Carrol Whitmire. Whitmire was a crewcut-wearing sheriff of the old school. And most of the guys on his staff all wore crewcuts. Well, Hunter shaved his head for the first debate so he could refer to Whitmire as "my long-haired opponent." This guy had a good half-inch of hair on his head.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:36 pm
anonjondoe

my favorite  Reply with quote  

he is the only author that gets me interested in politics
i've read hundreds of pages about the months leading up to that election
it is pure madness

he is very entertaining to read

whether it be politics/music/drugs/sports/violence/madness/whatever
he makes you keep reading ......with interest
he is smart and funny and realistic and stupid and mean and fantasy
all in the same sentence

all with a straight face
his interviews are also highly reccomended

the best is how he hates nixon's guts
but then meets him
and instead of interviewing him they spend three hours talking football
he then respects him but hates him even more because
A.nixon was very knowledgeable about football
b. nixon avoided being interviewed by the dreadful thompson
while still granting him the time he promised him
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 3:59 pm
rlorg

If you ever get the chance, pick up Hunter S. Thompson's book on the Hell's Angels...

Fucking fascinating...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345410084/qid=1071092812/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-3713085-4349566

He lived and rode with a chapter of the Hell's Angels for over a year.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:00 pm
slothrop

i heard that johnny depp is going to live with him for a little while and is going to play in again, this time in the rum diaries.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:03 pm
Rhino

rlorg wrote:
If you ever get the chance, pick up Hunter S. Thompson's book on the Hell's Angels...

Fucking fascinating...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0345410084/qid=1071092812/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_3/104-3713085-4349566

I concur. I find it particularly amusing that he cruised a Triumph and not an HD the time he hung with them. Their time together didnt end very peacefully from what I remember.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:06 pm
Random Sample

I love hunter S. thompson. The one funny thing that I read on ESPN's website that he wrote was when he went to the Kentucky Derby in 2001:

I also bet heavily on the Kentucky Derby & suffered huge losses.

The Derby is not my favorite sporting event of the year, despite my deep Kentucky roots & my natural lust for gambling. I have had more truly heinous experiences linked to Churchill Downs than any other venue. And I can tell you, for sure, that Derby week in Louisville is a white-knuckle orgy of Booze & Sex & Violence that, 99 times out of 100, swamps anybody who goes near it in a hurricane of Fear, Pain & Stupefying Disasters that will haunt them for the rest of their lives.

The behavior of the crowd at Churchill Downs is like 100,000 vicious Hyenas going berserk all at once in a space about the size of a 777 jet or the White House lawn. Going to the Derby in person is worse than volunteering to join General Pickett's famous Charge at Gettysburg, and just about as much Fun. ... Take my word for it, folks: I have done it nine or 10 times in a row, and I still have recurring nightmares about it that cause me to wake up sweating & screaming like some kind of pig being eaten alive by meat-bats.

My memories of the Derby are extremely clear & far too obscene to describe here in any detail. Some involve jails, insane asylums, Rape trials, wife-beatings, police-brutality and private graveyards filled with victims of tragic medical experiments worse than anything the Marquis de Sade was ever accused of.

I went to one Derby party where two teenage girls were deliberately set on fire & tortured by drunken rich people who then hurled their bodies off a cliff above the Ohio River & laughed about it later. The girls' families were told by local authorities that their daughters had "run away with a gang of horse-gamblers from Turkey who loaded them up with gin and told them they were going to Hollywood to get famous."

Things like that happen every year when the Derby comes to town. People "go out to the track," as they like to say in Louisville, and simply disappear into thin air. Some return a few years later with horrible disfigurements & no memory at all of what happened. Others end up in "hospitals down south" and are never mentioned again by people who knew them.

Omerta is the code of the South, especially after weird crimes are committed by rich people. The usual explanation is a brief mention on the Obituary page of another head-on collision with some unidentified truck far out on the River Road & a "private cremation ceremony attended only by close family members who wish to remain anonymous." Horse people have very short attention spans for anything involving humans.

OK. I see that I am feeling a bit nasty, myself, this week -- so maybe I should go back to bed & have a few more sick dreams about the Kentucky Derby & David Stern creeping in through my bedroom window with a dead animal in his mouth.

That is what happens to people who watch too much TV & make long-distance hunch bets on horses named Dollar Bill. Maybe it's true that habitual gambling really is a fatal disease worse than brain cancer. I will do some more research and report back next week on my Findings.

The long-haired opponent trick made my laugh very hard.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:11 pm
rlorg

The_Rhino wrote:
rlorg wrote:

Fucking fascinating...

I concur. I find it particularly amusing that he cruised a Triumph and not an HD the time he hung with them. Their time together didnt end very peacefully from what I remember.

Yeah, they beat him pretty badly.
That's one of the most interesting parts.
Why shit ended up like that.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:14 pm
anonjondoe

random

he wrote the kentucky derby is depraved and decadent
back in the 70's(i think) for rolling stone
it has also been in numerous books of his(shark hunt/fear and loathtin(hardcover))
it's basically along the same lines of what you posted but it is quite long
for a magazine article
basically shows the sick nature of the upscale

if you have not read it you should
it tels all about his and ralph steadman's week of debauchery

very good read
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:17 pm
Random Sample

anonjondoe wrote:
random

he wrote the kentucky derby is depraved and decadent
back in the 70's(i think) for rolling stone
it has also been in numerous books of his(shark hunt/fear and loathtin(hardcover))
it's basically along the same lines of what you posted but it is quite long
for a magazine article
basically shows the sick nature of the upscale

if you have not read it you should
it tels all about his and ralph steadman's week of debauchery

very good read

I will have to look for that article. Thanks for the info.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 4:20 pm
16 cENTS

Sage Francis wrote:
The night of the election Hunter had the flag wrapped around him and the blond wig on. He had shaved his head because there were a series of debates scheduled between he and the standing sheriff, Carrol Whitmire. Whitmire was a crewcut-wearing sheriff of the old school. And most of the guys on his staff all wore crewcuts. Well, Hunter shaved his head for the first debate so he could refer to Whitmire as "my long-haired opponent." This guy had a good half-inch of hair on his head.

if you own the criterion edition of "fear and loathing in las vegas", there is footage of that, along with more footage of hunter during the late 60's early 70's.
Post Wed Dec 10, 2003 7:54 pm
SergOne

The_Rhino wrote:

actually he rode a BSA, maybe both but I know he was fond of the bsa

his book Fear and Loathing: On The Campaign Trail '72 is a fucking great read, one of the most interesting books on what its like to be involved in a presidential campaign
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:46 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rhino

Did you guys know that there is a 1980 movie called Where the Buffalo Roam staring Bill Murray as Hunter and Peter Boyle as Lazlo? Its completely wacky.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:11 am
firefly

slothrop wrote:
i heard that johnny depp is going to live with him for a little while and is going to play in again, this time in the rum diaries.

Personally I think that Johnny depp did a pretty bad job of portraying Hunter's character when compared to Bill Murray. If there is another movie I'd prefer it if Bill did the acting.

Murray is the shit.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:27 am
firefly

The_Rhino wrote:
Did you guys know that there is a 1980 movie called Where the Buffalo Roam staring Bill Murray as Hunter and Peter Boyle as Lazlo? Its completely wacky.

I like "where the buffalo roam" better. BIll really looked like a guy fucked up on chemicals where as I find Johnny depp just looked all goofy.
Post Thu Dec 11, 2003 10:30 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next