Search
Register
will HOPE go underappreciated
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

pav

will HOPE go underappreciated  Reply with quote  

From the clips I've heard, it seems absolutely impossible for heads to front on this..

But it seems like the general hype for this album is nothing compared to the hype around other recent albums (Atmosphere/AesopRock).. granted the non prophets don't have a name as big as those artists, but this is an album that's been in the making for quite a while, and I'm just a bit surprised that not as many people are going apeshit over this album..

I really dont' see how HOPE could not be seen as album of the year..

But I believe Joey said it best (i think it was Joey) that this album will go under the radar for a while but be able to stand the test of time..

Anyway, i'm planning on picking this album up on Friday since Sandbox usually gets their shipments in early. Hard to believe I'm two days away from this album. I remember thinking that this album was gonna drop last winter and getting incredibly hyped..

this weekend's gonna be nice.

and next weekend it's Beth Gibbons live!

and supposedly two weeks from now, Sage in NY!
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 11:48 am
dense

i think it will be pretty popular but it could take a bit of time to catch on with people..... sage seems to have gotten this "oh, he's just an anticon art fag" type label which always gets thrown about which is unfortunate and is obviously not true and it's the non-prophets album which will show that there is more to sage than the personal ish offered on 'personal journals'.....
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:03 pm
futuristxen

People wanted to pick up the aesop and atmosphere just so they'd have something to bitch about on message boards.
It'll be interesting to see the reaction to the non-prophets. Cause from what I've heard about the album it sounds like it's just what kids have been saying they wanted for all these years.
Also I think Sage seems to fall under the radar, because oddly enough his fans aren't very vocal on the internet about him. Let alone the non-prophets. I mean look at this board. There's more topics on here about Aesop Rock than there are about Sage sometimes.

At the very least it will be an album with long legs.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:09 pm
pav

futuristxen wrote:

It'll be interesting to see the reaction to the non-prophets. Cause from what I've heard about the album it sounds like it's just what kids have been saying they wanted for all these years.

exactly.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:18 pm
MOS

i know one thing, HOPE will not go underappreciated on this board
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 12:48 pm
Atreyu

ummm....  Reply with quote  

MOS wrote:
i know one thing, HOPE will not go underappreciated on this board

Yes it will
the freakin board isn't going to be here.
I'm sad
peace
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:38 pm
JOEYBEATS

My prediction  Reply with quote  

Here's how I see it as happening: It will be released on October 7th along with all the other afforementioned names. Obviously Aesop and Atmosphere were released 2 weeks before. Their sales will be strong at first. Our initial sales will be average. However, their sales will taper off quicker. Whereas ours -I believe- will remain steady for quite some time.

The single (EP) is dropping later as opposed to before the album. The tour isn't happening at the same time as the release of the album. Each of these events will help give us a push in the later months.

Also even the people that buy it right away will have to get used to it. If you're either 1) relatively new to hip hop or 2) used to hearing sage on something like Personal Journals, you will have to give this album a few more listens than usual to get into it. That said, our word of mouth push -if any- will occur later as well.

I think this album will stand out as more significant ten years from now because it's one piece in the Sage Francis collection; it's just another accent to his versatility. It's something completely different than the labeled album he's already done. It's the album before he'll most likely do something completely different again. It's also my first REAL introduction to the world as well.

For the other cats, this is not their first lp. On top of that, their latest efforts are a little different but -for the most part- are the same things they've been doing all along. We'll carry the same disadvantage on our second release. Everything (press, tour, release) are happening at the same time for them.

Some kids will be salty, thinking Sage lost steam for a minute or is simply just hooking his boy Joe Beats up so he'll stop whining. Others will be disappointed because it's not what they gassed themselves to think it would be. Sorry. I hope we'll eventually do (record, create) something to redeem those notions.

However, for every one of those cats, they'll be one that is just hearing us for the first time and likes it. Welcome. I hope you don't turn out like the former.

Most people will eventually cop it, skip by the songs they could care less about, and listen to the ones they like. They'll be doing the same with all the other album they bought that month. After a while, all of the cd's (including ours) will make their way out of that person's rotation, being replaced by whatever new shit they bought. A few months after that, they'll break out all the cds from October they haven't heard in a while. They might even make a mix of all the songs they like on each joint. From there, the inference will be made that because we're all on the same cd, do the same music, and all dropped albums around the same time that we're all buddies. We're not. Only because everyone else -except us and atmosphere -chooses to have it be so.

I'm not worried about it...at all.

Joe.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 1:38 pm

Satyre

Re: My prediction  Reply with quote  

JOEYBEATS wrote:
From there, the inference will be made that because we're all on the same cd, do the same music, and all dropped albums around the same time that we're all buddies. We're not. Only because everyone else -except us and atmosphere -chooses to have it be so.

I'm not worried about it...at all.

Joe.

I don't want to turn this thread into something different than what it is,but...

JOEY-Does Aesop not like you and/or Sage?If so,could you share the reason?
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:01 pm
JOEYBEATS

I see where you got confused  Reply with quote  

I hope you're in the understanding I meant EVERYONE being released around this time, not just the names mentioned.

However, if I wanted to get into specifics I would've done so initially. I will not confirm or deny who is down with non-prophets and who isn't.

I wrote what I wrote. You figure it out.

Joe.

Last edited by JOEYBEATS on Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:26 pm

party_deer

From the tidbits I've heard off of HOPE, I think it is brilliant. I have never been so excited for a release date. I really don't give two shits whether or not the heads around me will appreciate it or not. I will love it and that is all that matters. It will stand the test of time on my turntable and in my CD player. With that said Seven's Travels has already gotten thrown out after five days. Only six more days. HELL YEAH!!!
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:44 pm
name

personaly,i like the fact that you and sage are sort of musical loners. i also think it's peachy keen that there are no guest mc's on PJ or Hope(that i know of). it'd be great if you two went it alone for a long time and skipped all this he said, she said underground drama. i know you guys don't purposely seperate yourself from other artists or anything but it does allude to a healthy antisocial nature that i respect in people. (in fact, i don't really get why sage and daley get along so well... but, whatever floats your boat i guess.. that's your guys' business). anyway, more than anything, i think its your skill that sets you guys apart... my guess is it will stay that way.
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:48 pm
futuristxen

Is there any possibility that we might hear Slug rhyme over Joey Beats production down the road? I mean, what is the next thing after hope that I'll hear you on? I mean has that happened yet? Because surely between hope and reverse discourse you've got your name back in people's mouths. Is that something that is even a consideration for you--or are you only going to do beats in a non-prophets type setting?
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 3:48 pm
dense

i'd really like to see a proper joey beats solo album with lot's of mc's over joey's beats..... that'd be pretty sick.....
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:02 pm
The Mean Eagle

HOPE is the shit, its so good, different than the usualy Sage stuff, hes pist, he's cussing.its hard. dont wanna ruin it for the peeps, but it gets a big fucking A+ from me...Jess
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 4:47 pm
sad_town

its hard to tell whether it will be underappreciated when it hasnt even been given the chance to be appreciated yet. give it a while
Post Wed Oct 01, 2003 7:03 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next