Search
Register
Aug 29, 2002 I would just like to say...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

Aug 29, 2002 I would just like to say...  Reply with quote  

so much, mom.

I'd like to say so much.

there has been so much to say for so long and I continue to keep my silence.

I am sorry.

Remember when I used to actually have something substantial to offer in written form every so often? Well...I'd like to think that I did....and still do. The only difference is I don't have as much time to sift through all the thoughts and pull out the ones that will make sense.

I wanted to write a review of both Scribble Jam and the National Poetry Slam...and do a comprehensive compare/contrast piece. There are many points to be made. I even took notes...and wrote down instances that I wanted to explain in detail. Here's a few things I can remember off the top of my head that happened but i can't explain in great detail just yet:

1) I have been profiled by the FBI and DEA as a drug dealer. Therefor, I get thoroughly searched MANY times before I fly on a plane now. On my way to Minneapolis from Cincinnati I was interrogated by the DEA and they threatened to confisgate all the money I had in my backpack (which was a lot...half of which I brought from home for emergency purposes) because I am obviously a drug smuggler. They let me go when they couldn't find any reason at all to keep fucking with me.

2) The sunday in the park at Scribble Jam, which included "battling" Slug for 15-20 minutes, the Capri Sun Challenge and puking, thunder/lightening showers, slip and slide, and mud wrestling was worth the trip. people who didn't enjoy themselves at Scribble Jam suck.

3) The person who reviewed my album in Spin Magazine approached me at Scribble Jam. He said "I lost my job for you."
Apparently, this dude gave my album FOUR out of five stars...but Spin only printed three out of five. He bitched about it but they wouldn't hear it. Interesting, eh?

4) I left Cincinatti two days after Scribble. My plane left at 6:40 AM, but to avoid hasseling someone for a ride so early in the morning I opted to get dropped off at 11 PM. I figured I would spend that time writing the review of the weekend. Instead I sprawled out on the floor and spent the night in the aiport by myself......until I saw one other person walking toward me from the distance....and he was wearing a Makeshift Patriot shirt. I have no idea who he was....but we were both a little weirded out. When I fell asleep on the floor, I woke up to a can of coke next to my head because I was complaining of thirst earlier. Thank you!!!

5) Slug checked out a couple of the events at the National Poetry Slam. It was a pleasure to have him around...outside of the hiphop environment. This was the first time he got to witness poetry slams of this calibur, so it inspired him to involve himself. At one point we were standing outside of a hotel at 4 AM...I was beatboxing and he was doing the lyrics to "Lonely Summer" for a friend of mine named Rachel. Me, Slug, and Rachel were trading off poems and raps at 4 AM on the street corner.

6) The first night at the Nationals ended around 6 AM. All the insomniacs of the poetry world (more than a few) were standing outside of my hotel so i decided to check out what was happening. This one guy named Ben started the cipher and people traded off poems until 6 AM. Intense. Made me wonder why I waste my time at hiphop events.

7) I went to a local hiphop show in Minneapolis and got to freestyle at the end of the show. Most people in the crowd didn't know who I was so I got to hit many of them from a surprise angle. It made me freestyle better...because I cared more...and it was just fun and less demanding. Then I remembered why I waste my time at hiphop events.

Seriously though....there are so many things I want to write about. And explain how they relate to other things that I believe matter to us all. But that's not happening. I have a full album to finish. I have cover art to work on. i finally sent out all the mail orders, but I've got shows and tours to plan. I shit blood the other day. I stay up until 6 AM every single morning trying to bang away the last bit of business online. I gorget to eat until 5 or 6 PM sometimes...and then I have my one meal. My mind is currently racing but fuck it....all i want you to know is I HAVE NOT SLOWED DOWN. My agenda builds every day...my schedule is packed, my thoughts are connecting, and I admittedly neglect this messageboard but it has to be that way. i never thought i would be here...and I am.

thanks everybody. seriously. I have a whole new bag of tricks to work with.

Last edited by Sage Francis on Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:01 am; edited 3 times in total
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:04 pm
illusion

damn guy take a day off and just sleep! :D
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:11 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

on top of all this, I would like to say that I really have some of the best fans.

I use the word "fan" in the most respectful way possible. Y'all have been writing and sending me some wonderful things.
And it's dope to see repeat audiences everywhere I go. I recognize people who repeat their attendance to my shows...and it makes me feel good.

Also....ah man....I thwarted a couple bootlegging scams. You should be proud. But I can't go into detail.

Ummm...what else....OH, haha...i PUNKED yet another "business man" trying to gas me on some major label talk.

It's fucking GREAT to be a successful independent artist. Absolutely wonderful for reasons such as these.
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:38 pm
argot

Yes  Reply with quote  

Glad you are feeling that way about your independent status...

On fans...

Sage: My new apartment is hot as balls and i have no fans.
My Friend, Nick: I'm a fan.
Sage: Do you wanna' blow me?

Peace
Post Wed Aug 28, 2002 11:51 pm
td3

"....because I cared more...and it was just fun and less demanding. Then I remembered why I waste my time at hiphop events. "

are you starting to feel like performing has become more about business than pleasure?

-td3-
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:06 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
td3

PS:  Reply with quote  

Sage has good fans.... because he is good to his fans....

sometimes that matters more than you think

-td3-
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:08 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

no, but the crowds have changed. And their reactions are different. And it's a totally different game when you are performing for a scrutinizing group of people who already know what you have done and they're waiting to be satisfied.

Also...there are crowds that are satisfied with ANYTHING. and that doesn't help much either. Sometimes I do something with the intention of getting hissed or booed. If that doesn't happen I'm like "Um...ok...well...you take abuse well. good for you."

My performances are NEVER about business. Ever. I will always be the antithesis of that shit. I really can't help it. It's wack to just give the people what they think they want.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:09 am
vintge
is vintge vince? vince vintge vincge?

sage, its good to hear some happiness coming from your screen name cause i just pretty recently joined this board but you tend to sound stressed and annoyed.

seriously though, the internet is an amazing place, this board is an interesting new tool of evolution. the level of interaction that is allowed with it is making so many people aware. not just of music and films and pop culture but of some kind of progression. im sure that sounds cheesy to most but for me your interaction with the people of the web adds and complements your music very much.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:22 am
Dee

I may be annoying, irritating, smug, cynical, post too much, etc., but know that hell yes I like your shit, and I'll keep supporting.

by the way...

3) The person who reviewed my album in Spin Magazine approached me at Scribble Jam. He said "I lost my job for you."
Apparently, this dude gave my album FOUR out of five stars...but Spin only printed three out of five. He bitched about it but they wouldn't hear it. Interesting, eh?

Spin does a scale of 1-10. Rolling stone does 1-5 stars. Stone is a rag. Spin is usually bearable...which was it?
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:39 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

no, it was Spin.

Spin does five records.

I'm pretty sure.

or maybe it's Vibe....who the hell does the 5 little records to rate albums? which one?

Last edited by Sage Francis on Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 12:51 am
Ole Hank

You need an inern.

"I am sorry Mr. Francis is unavailable right now, I am sure the CDs are in the mail. Would you like to transfer to his voicemail?"
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:29 am
SPillogical

present at hotel cipher  Reply with quote  

was at the late nite cipher outside the crown plaza........had been ridin high off my team's victory that night, but just watchin and participating in the go around reminded of the real reason of why i love nationals and why i busted my ass to get there......moments like that. just reminded me of why i do what it is i do........hope everyone present came away with something too.

keep ya head up sage.....you got lots of us behind ya......and not in the way you're thinking....hehehe

lates

SPill(aka Paul Lipman)
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 5:29 am
Reggie

Anyone have that one Steve Martin record where he catches someone in the audience bootlegging his show? It's hysterical, I'm surprised no one has sampled it before.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 6:23 am
erin

I don't know if you noticed Sage, but I was sadly awe struck when I first met you. Ha. Come back to Minneapolis soon and stuff.
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 7:46 am
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
crushwhore

thank you sage.

ps: i wish you hadn't gone to the airport early that evening... i was hoping to buy you dinner. next time though, ok?
Post Thu Aug 29, 2002 9:41 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next