Search
Register
you bet Epitaph signed us cuz we're white, huh Doctrine?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

So yeah August.... Overall it IS about lyrics and not skin color at all.

But then we come into a whole realm of your race and your upbringing being the impetus behind your lyrical decisions. A black guy that grew up within a hard-ass life in the ghetto probably wont want to write "climb trees".... I'm not saying it couldnt happen... we are all able to break out of our conditioned mindsets, but I think it's tough. I think punk kids are interested in politics and angst and hiphoppers are interested in skills and money. That's tough to cross-over.

We simply need hiphop to break out of its shell of the mc merely being on a self-created ego trip. You can tell me that's the culture and history all you want.... it's fucking dumb when it's ALL you hear. Hiphop right now is sort of like rock was in the 50's. Buddy Holly had a good sound that you could dance to, but in the long run it's just simple and all the same.

Outkast better pink floyd hiphop up a bit so these stupid-assed threads become history. This whole thread isn't even about racism or skin color.... it's REALLY about most of hiphop being undigestable for punk kids and some of the only stuff a punk kid could digest is made by white rappers... which is fucking bullshit and has nothing to do with race and everything to do with class. In both senses of the word.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:03 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Hero

purplefacedmonkey2 wrote:

Nah, I was kidding. Nothing like a good cigar and a pint of Guiness I say. But then I seem to be the only person in the world who likes Guiness.

I like Guiness only in the fall or winter time though, shit is so good it's beer bliss. I'm a big fan of Newcastle, it's only been like 11 bucks for a 12 pack at the store down the street, needless to say i've been rocking a lot of Newcastle lately.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:11 pm
August Spies

Quote:

Punk music, good punk music, has social relevance. Smart punk kids are very much into their idealisms. Hearing a guy rap about killing people or having hoes is the absolute opposite thing most punk kids want to hear about.

Overall, I was just playing some devil's advocate to save Doctrine from committing suicide. I think it was Sage's lyrics that got him signed, not his skin color. But to say that it makes absolutely no difference to a 15 yr old punk kid is naive. If Epitaph had signed 50 cent there would be riots in the message boards.

I already addressed this, people would be upset because of mainstream hip hop (50 cents) sexism and homophobia etc... NOT because of his skin color. Doctrine did not say "epitaph only signs hip hop acts whose lyrics they woudl support", because no one would care about such a statment. Most people would probably agree epitaph SHOULD only sign acts whose lyrics they would support.

Doctrine claimed it was a matter of race. seperate issue.

EDIT: reading your second post it seems we are in general agreement. But I would still like to point out there are plenty of black artists that have good political messages or other types of lyrics that punk kids are more in tune with.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:24 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Yeah man... I have no more argument left in me. I'll admit I haven't read all of these posts... and again, I am not defending any statement that says Epitaph WOULDNT sign a black artist over a white artist... that is fucking ridiculous.

As for your statement that there ARE many black rappers that have transcended the ego-laden classical mc steeeeeez, I obviously agree with that. What I would add to that, though, would be that there needs to be WAY more. I can't even understand how a young mc could feel that using the same old ideas (such as "you suck, i am the best rapper") could even GET them anywhere. I expect a big djdee backlash on the history of hiphop here.... but that's arrested development if you are going to claim that hiphop has to stick with its roots. If rock adhered to that philosophy we would still be going to dances in our socks.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:43 pm
Doctrine

I NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER said it was "only on race"...How many times must I say...I was saying being "white" MAKES THEM APPROACHABLE...

I DID NOT SAY SAGE ONLY GOT SIGNED BECAUSE HE WAS WHITE...C'MON...GEEZ!
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 2:54 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
shigeru

Doctrine wrote:
I NEVER EVER, EVER, EVER said it was "only on race"...How many times must I say...I was saying being "white" MAKES THEM APPROACHABLE...

make sure you articulate what you say. Loaded comments will set yourself up for criticism.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 3:48 pm
August Spies

Doctrine wrote:

Quote:

You got the Klan...Ooops...Epitaph behind you...
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:02 pm
zeem

August Spies wrote:
Doctrine wrote:

Quote:

You got the Klan...Ooops...Epitaph behind you...

sounds like doctrine forgot his doctrine
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:06 pm
Awww mn

Scientists find fossils of buffalo-sized rodent  Reply with quote  

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030918/168/5b1kg.html

The largest rodent that ever lived, Phoberomys pattersoni, seen in this artist rendering, was roughly the size of a buffalo, and roamed the banks of an ancient Venezuelan river some 8 million years ago dining on sea grass and dodging crocodiles. Researchers have recently found in Venezuela the most complete skelton to date of this giant rodent, which is an evolutionary sibling to modern-day guinea pigs. (AP Photo/Copyright, Science/Illustration: Carin L. Cain)
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 4:35 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Epitaph would NEVER sign that thing. Look at it's different-assed fur. I dont got that shit.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:32 pm
Awww mn

well, if epitaph won't sign this buffalo-sized rodent, then they are fucking klansmen.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:37 pm
Jesse

It's not the fur, it's the ignorant subject matter.

The thing just fucking chirps... at least white rappers don't chirp.

(oh except Josh Martinez, but he pulls it off well)
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:43 pm
Abinatra

Re: Scientists find fossils of buffalo-sized rodent  Reply with quote  

aww♥damn wrote:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/030918/168/5b1kg.html

The largest rodent that ever lived, Phoberomys pattersoni, seen in this artist rendering, was roughly the size of a buffalo, and roamed the banks of an ancient Venezuelan river some 8 million years ago dining on sea grass and dodging crocodiles. Researchers have recently found in Venezuela the most complete skelton to date of this giant rodent, which is an evolutionary sibling to modern-day guinea pigs. (AP Photo/Copyright, Science/Illustration: Carin L. Cain)

that picture and the accompanying passage are the best things ever posted on this board
honestly

we need more of this kind of thing
phytomastigophora, here we come!
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:43 pm
August Spies

aww♥damn wrote:
well, if epitaph won't sign this buffalo-sized rodent, then they are fucking klansmen.

haha
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:45 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Jesse wrote:
It's not the fur, it's the ignorant subject matter.

The thing just fucking chirps... at least white rappers don't chirp.

(oh except Josh Martinez, but he pulls it off well)

Just dont call them chirpers, they will fuck you up. It's chirpas.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 5:48 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next