Search
Register
you bet Epitaph signed us cuz we're white, huh Doctrine?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

bensandoval

Doctrine wrote:
Don't care

neither do i.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:09 pm
Reggie

Doctrine wrote:
By the way...Sage is not my Idol I was joking...I would pick apart the post...but I know when I have lost and there's no point in fighting...

I do however think it's funny how EVERYONE speaks up when SAGE FRANCIS (ooooh!) says something...But I had a hard time getting responses on the original post...That says alot to me and how you allow the people you listen to, to have certain bearing on your beliefs and opinions...

I guess I'm opening myself back up here...Don't care...

To a much lesser degree.

laurapalmer owns this thread, not Sage or Doctrine.

She should be allowed to do with it as she pleases.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:22 pm
August Spies

Re: Elvis Costello  Reply with quote  

seamusignoramus wrote:
August Spies wrote:

I promise, underground hip hop will die 2 minutes after the mainstream gets involved.

No, the artists who steer clear of being fucked over by majors will continue to keep underground hiphop thriving. What do you mean by "the mainstream gets involved"?

Well yes that is true to a degree. Punk didn't die because greenday and offspring went mainstream, but that segment of the punk scene died. old school hip hop died, grunge died etc.. etc... It's a long topic to get into here though, i'd discuss it in another thread if you want.

Last edited by August Spies on Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:23 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

Majority of your audience = white...Majority of Slugs audience = white...Majority of Epitaphs audience = white

The majority of Snoop Dogg and 50 cent's audience is white. The majority of the hip hop audience is white.... the majority of america is white. So what is your point?

You got the Klan...Ooops...Epitaph behind you..

Wow... that was an impressivly stupid comment.

Shoot I know this is the most radical post ever but I know some truth is in it

doubtful.

You said: "The majority of underground hiphop fans is HETEROSEXUAL, WHITE MALES.
The majority of this whole COUNTRY is."

Not as of last year...

wow you can't even get simple facts right. As of last year whites make up 49.9 percent of california. So they are no longer the majority there. But they are still the LARGEST ethnic group in california, and still DEFINITLY make up the majority of this country (which is roughly 70% white)

Let's stop okay? I hate having my idols disown me...That's why I left the Anticon board...

Maybe you should take a mintue to think about why everyone is "disowning" you... if this has happened before, it is probably your fault.

Last edited by August Spies on Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:29 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
somber

awwdamn wrote:
Quote:

the words punk and The Offspring should not be used in such close proximity to each other. they were on the Batman 3 soundtrack for crying out loud.

That's the truth and the funniest shit ever.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:39 pm
Doctrine

Knowledge dropped...True, true, true...
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 12:42 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

[quote="August Spies"]Majority of your audience = white...Majority of Slugs audience = white...Majority of Epitaphs audience = white

The majority of Snoop Dogg and 50 cent's audience is white. The majority of the hip hop audience is white.... the majority of america is white. So what is your point?

Doctrine is no good at communicating shit. Man.... that's just tactless. Hey august.... You really have to understand the issue-laden mindset of a 15 yr old punk kid to understand the idea that Sage may be a better investment for Epitaph than 50 cent would be. That's really all I can say about it.... overall, I have been a huge fan of mister Brett since I myself was a 15 yr old issue-laden punk kid, so I dont really want to get much more into this - I would CERTAINLY bet my penis that Brett is NOT racist in any way. That doesn't mean he isn't interested in running a smart business that knows its audience though. Who gives a shit anyway... I honestly think Doctrine had a decent point hidden in there behind some very poor writing decisions that made him look like a racist goof.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:32 pm
August Spies

Look, you keep saying 15 year old punks might need to be introduced to non-gangsta hip hop... what world are you living in? Hip hop is THE most popular music in america. MTV is overflowing with gangsta style hip hop.

There isn't anyone listening to epitaph bands who hasn't heard 50 cent or snoop dogg or jay z.

I dont' listen to epitaph bands anymore... cause they are just bad punk, but when I was a youngin and listening to primarily punk I still had my Wu-tang, cypruss hill, naughty by nature and a tribe called quest CDs.

I think you are sorely mistaken in believing punk kids are unaware of hip hop.

EDIT: it seems to me that what you are really trying to say is that punk kids would be more reseptive to teh types of things sage raps about then what 50 cent does... well... obviosly. Why would epitaph sign bands that their fan base wouldn't like at all and who stand for lots of things epitaph is against (sexism, homophbia etc..)

However, that issue is divorced of race. I'm sure that punk kids would be just as receptive to the likes of Mr. Lif (and in fact they ARE, i've even seen mr. lif play with punk bands).
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:37 pm
Billy No More

The thread is just gonna run and run and run. I think we should all just chill out and have some dip.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:45 pm
Doctrine

You dip?

Nasty...
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:47 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Billy No More

hell yeah
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:48 pm
Doctrine

I've done it a coulple times...It makes you buzz HARD...But I won't do it anymore...
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:49 pm
Doctrine

I enjoy the company of a good cigar...
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:50 pm
SneepSnopDotCom
COCKRING WRAITH

Oy vey. Okay. I wasn't saying they are oblivious to hiphop.

But what they ARE is very wary of ACCEPTING hiphop. I know times change, but I was heavily involved in the punk roick as little as six years ago and I can tell you for a fact that the majority of punk kids consider mainstream rap to be ignorant nonsense. Punk music, good punk music, has social relevance. Smart punk kids are very much into their idealisms. Hearing a guy rap about killing people or having hoes is the absolute opposite thing most punk kids want to hear about.

Overall, I was just playing some devil's advocate to save Doctrine from committing suicide. I think it was Sage's lyrics that got him signed, not his skin color. But to say that it makes absolutely no difference to a 15 yr old punk kid is naive. If Epitaph had signed 50 cent there would be riots in the message boards.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:51 pm
Billy No More

Doctrine wrote:
I've done it a coulple times...It makes you buzz HARD...But I won't do it anymore...I enjoy the company of a good cigar...

Nah, I was kidding. Nothing like a good cigar and a pint of Guiness I say. But then I seem to be the only person in the world who likes Guiness.
Post Thu Sep 18, 2003 1:56 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next