Search
Register
Bill Maher on Johnny Cash:
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

DM

Bill Maher on Johnny Cash:  Reply with quote  

Johnny Cashed:

We lost a good one on Friday, Johnny Cash. What’s bothering me is watching all the reactions from pop stars on TV. Let’s get something straight – not all musicians were influenced by Johnny Cash. Listening to people like Justin Timberlake drone on about listening to Johnny Cash records as a kid, like N’Sync took its sound and sassy dance moves straight from the man in black makes me want to puke. The man was dying. The least you could have done was not push him over the edge with that bullshit. It’s like when filmmakers say they were influenced by Scorsese. No, you were influenced by the whopping paycheck you’d get if you gave your Vin Diesel flick a happy ending. If you really want to pay tribute to Johnny Cash just say you loved his music and then admit it’s not to blame for yours.

Coincidentally, President Bush was a big fan. He says every time he hears “I Walk the Line” it reminds him of his drunk driving arrest.

Bill Maher
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:45 pm
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

hats off to Bill Maher.

as usual.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:47 pm
AlbeeYap

heres a recap on justin Timbalake speech on MTV awards this year.......
"i was brought up through Johnny Cash.......... this award should go to him on my behalf" lets give a hand to johnny cash -audience claps ....

i first thought justin was really going to give that award to him ... but from his stingy look .... you know hes concieted ass doesnt want to give respect to him but himself!

F! um

and also he said on POWER 106 that he considers himself as a hip hop artist slash pop..... just because your touring with black eyed peas, and have clipse on your album doesnt mean you're a hip hop artist
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 6:53 pm

Hero

Re: Bill Maher on Johnny Cash:  Reply with quote  

abacus7 wrote:

Coincidentally, President Bush was a big fan. He says every time he hears “I Walk the Line” it reminds him of his drunk driving arrest.

Bill Maher

That shit is Hilarious!!!
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:46 pm
futuristxen

Wow. How could Timberlake in any way equate his music with Johnny Cash? That's just...amazing.

Bill Maher has a nasty habit of being on point.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 7:56 pm
MF TOON

nicely put. where was that taken from?
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:09 pm
bensandoval

bill maher is one of those people that i'd love to meet someday.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 8:58 pm
Mike McDermot

Bill Maher rocks, i agree with 90% of the the shit that comes out of his mouth. I followed him on Comedy Central, then to ABC. Then he got taken off ABC cause he said he "understood where islamic extremists were coming from," or something to that effect, total bs of coarse. Now hes on HBO (i think) and i cant watch him anymore (tear). But yes i agree with him here too.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:25 pm
Sarcastro

I think it was actually a joke where he was making fun of the fact that senators were calling the terrorist attacks "cowardly" and he pointed out that they gave up their lives to do that attack instead of just pressin a button and bombing the other side of the world.....or something to that effect, long time ago, facts are fuzzy at best.
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 9:58 pm
Bles

can Bill Maher ever say anything wrong? This guy is my hero... hits the nail on the head everytime.

Be More Cynical is my personal bible
Post Mon Sep 15, 2003 10:47 pm
DeuceLeader's Ankle

Mike McDermot wrote:
he said he "understood where islamic extremists were coming from," or something to that effect, total bs of coarse...

well, the point he was making was that, regardless of their ideology or tactics, the 9-11 pilots at least had the "courage of their convictions". he wasn't agreeing or supporting them. he was just pointing out that:

1) they weren't cowards. they died for something they believed in.

2) real cowardness is, like Sarcasto said, pushing a button halfway around the world and not seeing the effects (this was actually a jab at Clinton and his Sudan bombing campaign to divert attention from the Lewenski thing)

3) the majority of the Bush cabnet are chicken hawks and draft dodgers (which is cowardly)

bill mahr's mistake was he said that shit way too soon. people were still really emotional, hotheaded, effected, etc... and that's why he got booted

(it also could have something to do with the fact that ABC has corporate links to the military-industrial complex. something to think about.)
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 12:49 am
Dee

I'm gonna get hated on a lot for this, but I think Justin Timberlake is great, and I think Cry Me a River is one of the best singles I've heard in years. And while its easy to heap the praise on timbaland, I actually think JTimberlake sings pretty well on it. He wrote the lyrics and came up with the harmonies himself, and I think he's trying to move into legit music territory. Fucking Michael Jackson was in a boy band, but when people look back on the Jackson 5's music, they don't think of it that way...in a vacuum, all you have is the music, and just like "I Want You Back" was a great single, Cry Me A River is a great fucking single.

As for Bill Maher...dead on.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:13 am
still illiterate

bles wrote:
can Bill Maher ever say anything wrong? This guy is my hero... hits the nail on the head everytime.

tonight he said that sampling was stealing music. I agree with his stance on weed though.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:22 am
duck_shoe

djdee2005 wrote:
I'm gonna get hated on a lot for this, but I think Justin Timberlake is great, and I think Cry Me a River is one of the best singles I've heard in years. And while its easy to heap the praise on timbaland, I actually think JTimberlake sings pretty well on it. He wrote the lyrics and came up with the harmonies himself, and I think he's trying to move into legit music territory. Fucking Michael Jackson was in a boy band, but when people look back on the Jackson 5's music, they don't think of it that way...in a vacuum, all you have is the music, and just like "I Want You Back" was a great single, Cry Me A River is a great fucking single.

As for Bill Maher...dead on.

I'm forced to listen to the radio at work, so I hear a lot of Timberlake. The more I hear, the more I like it. It's a shame that people who really would appreciate him never give him the chance, and that most of his fans like him because they're teenage girls who just think he's cute. He's loved and hated for all the wrong reasons.
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:26 am
DeuceLeader's Ankle

still illiterate wrote:
bles wrote:

tonight he said that sampling was stealing music. I agree with his stance on weed though.

he said once he was gonna copyright rhyming the words 'rich' and 'bitch' so he could make a million off gangsta rap and retire by the end of the week....
Post Tue Sep 16, 2003 1:39 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next