Search
Register
"Baby...I'm an anarchist, you're a spineless liberal...
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

MessiahCarey

"Baby...I'm an anarchist, you're a spineless liberal...  Reply with quote  

Any Against Me! fans?

- Shane
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:17 am
Machiavel

Quite an obfuscated post, shane.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:18 am
MessiahCarey

Negative. Ambigious perhaps...but unintentially - so therefore not obfuscated as such.

Not to mention if you like the band, you'd know what I was talking about. Hehe...a secondary goal would be to call anarchists like Icarus out of hiding to bicker with the liberals...instead of the typical old conservatives vs. liberals banter.

:-P

- Shane
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 8:49 am
August Spies

I enjoy that against me LP a lot, however I hate that song you quoted. Its the only song Against me! didn't write either.

(and I don't hat the song cause its about anarchists. As you can guess by my name, I take a good deal of my thought from them...)
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 9:56 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

somewhat in the spirit of this i'm gonna post one of my favorite enrages texts, I think im going to re-write it and post it up around school.

The struggle against alienation must concern itself with giving words their true meaning, at the same time as conveying their elemental force:

So dont say: Say instead:
society racket
teacher cop
psychologist cop
poet cop
sociologist cop
militants (of all shades) cop
conscientious objector cop
trades unionist cop
priest cop
family cop
(not a definitive list)

news distortions (as to the extent of the world racket and its mystifications)
work hard labor
art how much does that cost?
Dialogue masturbation
culture shit gargled for ages by highbrowed cretins (see: teacher)
my sister my love
teacher, sir drop dead, you bastard!
goodnight father drop dead, you bastard!
excuse me, officer drop dead, you bastard!
thank you doctor drop dead, you bastard!
legality a trap for idiots
civilization sterilization
town planning preventive policing
village A,B,C,D strategic hamlet
structuralism the last chance for neo-capitalism, the outstanding failure of which is covered up by official lies clumsily plastered over the most flagrant contradictions
Students, you are impotent fools (we knew that already). But youll remain so while you havent:
smashed your teachers faces in;
buggered your priests;
fucking set fire to the faculty.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 10:29 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MessiahCarey

August Spies wrote:
I enjoy that against me LP a lot, however I hate that song you quoted. Its the only song Against me! didn't write either.

(and I don't hat the song cause its about anarchists. As you can guess by my name, I take a good deal of my thought from them...)

Oh man! I love that song...there's just that part that gives me such goosebumps:

"You watched in awe at the red, white, & blue on the fourth of July. While those fireworks were exploding, I was burning that fucker & stringing my black flag high."

Niceness, IMO.

Good to see others appreciate the acoustic punk shit...do you know of any other groups in this vein?

- Shane
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:04 pm
klausmorgan

The trouble with "anarchists" today is that most of them are scrawny assholes no one can stand, and if we actually were to have anarchy, they would be the first against the wall.

Most of them have no idea how much society does for them in keeping other people from being able to just do whatever they want to them.

That having been said, I like Against Me! even though they are... well...
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:06 pm
August Spies

Quote:

Good to see others appreciate the acoustic punk shit...do you know of any other groups in this vein?

This Bike is a Pipe Bomb.

Quote:

The trouble with "anarchists" today is that most of them are scrawny assholes no one can stand, and if we actually were to have anarchy, they would be the first against the wall. [...]Most of them have no idea how much society does for them in keeping other people from being able to just do whatever they want to them.

only if you have no idea what actually anarchists mean by anarchism.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:21 pm
Machiavel

I found klausmorgans statement quite ignorant of anarchism, and in general of humanity. I think the perception demonsrated is that of high school kids with anarchy symbols on their backpacks. But, Whatev.

I guess i jumped the gun on obfuscated, it was small enough in scope to be indecipherable by most, even though direct.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:53 pm
klausmorgan

Machiavel wrote:
I found klausmorgans statement quite ignorant of anarchism, and in general of humanity. I think the perception demonsrated is that of high school kids with anarchy symbols on their backpacks. But, Whatev.
I am not ignorant of anarchism. In fact my mother was an anarchist for years. You may notice that in my origional post I said "anarchists today" which is perhaps a bit of an over-generalization, in that it excludes people who are more legitimately actually thinking about their views, but I think it's fair to say the following things:

1) The majority of people, or at the very least the majority of the people we are exposed to (WTO protests leap to mind) who call themselves "anarchists" are exactly what you called them: high school kids with anarchy symbols on their backpacks.

2) This being the case, and seeing as how mostly music has to appeal to high school kids in order to sell, most of the music that labels itself as anarchist is going to be juvinile, stupid and poorly thought-through in its political stances.

I confess I haven't listened to much of the lyrics on the Against Me! album I have.

Anyway, that's why I copped an attitude. I do want to add the qualifier that I think anarchism is a potentially respectable political stance. Nonetheless I stand by the larger part of the sentiment I expressed earlier, however, for the reasons stated in this post.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:21 pm
FoJaR

there is no hope for us, if this GM van dont make it acrcoss the state line, we might as well lay down and die, becuase if florida takes us, we're taking everyone down with us, and what we're running from yeah, will be the death of us.

we laugh at danger (and break all the rules)
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:31 pm
August Spies

Quote:

1) The majority of people, or at the very least the majority of the people we are exposed to (WTO protests leap to mind) who call themselves "anarchists" are exactly what you called them: high school kids with anarchy symbols on their backpacks.

I disagree. I have been active in local protests and groups along those lines, and the majority of people who call themselves anarchists, or maybe I should say who praticipate in the black bloc or other openly anarchist groups, know very well what they are doing.

I think you could easily say that most protesters in general are kids that dont' now that much about what is going on, and a fair chunk might just think protesting is cool. But the anarchists are a more elite bunch, and not something you join up with unless you know the deal. (know the deal somewhat, obviously a lot of "anarchist" protesters are people that haven't done to much research into politics, but evne those people have done more than your average "liberal" or "pacifist" or "conservative" from what I have seen)

Quote:

2) This being the case, and seeing as how mostly music has to appeal to high school kids in order to sell, most of the music that labels itself as anarchist is going to be juvinile, stupid and poorly thought-through in its political stances.

I'm not really sure what you are talking about. The only group of music that is openly anarchist is certain segments of the underground punk/hardcore scene. This music is obviulsy NOT music made to "sell."

Know, while I think music scenes are very important for keeping radical thought alive (or at least have been), music is obviously not the BEST place to find well laid out political arguments. I mean, you can't fit that kind of thing into a song.

But I would say the anarchist music I know is a lot more thought out than other political music I have heard.

my 2 cents.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:43 pm
hugh grants hooker

a lot of self-proclaimed anarchists bother me too.

the majority of these people that i've met are high school kids or college kids who still live on mom and dad's dime and would have no idea how to provide for themselves if the world did slip into true anarchy. if the local supermarkets and wal-marts were burnt down... most 'anarchists' would starve.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 5:51 pm

FoJaR

i KNOW. it would be an irony-toed boot in the teeth.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:03 pm
August Spies

no it wouldnt'. Because anarchism is not simply a world where wal-marts are burned. If you want to make an argument, tell me why these "self-proclaimed anarchists" would starve if we were living in an anarchistic society along the lines of Spain 1936, Makhonivist russia or some of the pirate utopias.

I await your explanation.
Post Fri Aug 29, 2003 6:06 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next