Search
Register
Changing your accent in hiphop. Is this a problem?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Dee

Message board discussions on ebonics...  Reply with quote  

blow.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:13 pm
MF TOON

i'm speaking in jargon?

this thread is ridiculous. goodbye.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:14 pm
leonhandy@hotmail.com

dallasbboy wrote:
New York accents same as Californians?

Surely you are kidding?

Yeh you're right man, US accents aren't the same (you would know seeing as you are american!), but I don't think they vary anywhere near as much as UK accents do. To a foreigner, most of the american accents would sound pretty much the same. UK accents would appear to sound very different from each other though.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:16 pm
FilthyRich

someone doesn't know the difference between jargon and slang...
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:18 pm

Elocute

FilthyRich wrote:
someone doesn't know the difference between jargon and slang...

haha you plebeian doush-bag please refrain from expressing your virtual-economics

^^ I knew I could fit in here!
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:20 pm
FilthyRich

Elocute, how do I make summat a link on here?
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:24 pm

Elocute

http://www.google.com

erm.. just type the address and it automatically does the html linking stuff
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:26 pm
Craig a.d.

explain faccy.
NOW.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:27 pm
FilthyRich

it never fucking links to my shit!

www.geocities.com/richard_keight/rodneypisbetterthansage.html

and fer fucks sake fassy is spelt like that, not faccy.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:29 pm

Elocute

http://www.geocities.com/richard_keight/rodneypisbetterthansage.html

not exactly rocket-science
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:31 pm
FilthyRich

nicely, how'd u do that?

Last edited by FilthyRich on Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:33 pm

FilthyRich

fuck it, I'll just copy and paste your 1

Sage you fanny- go to the link below and if u think your voice sounds better than this UK MC's then u r severely deluding yourself

http://www.geocities.com/richard_keight/rodneypisbetterthansage.html
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:34 pm

August Spies

Quote:

Yes, sex pistols were a manufactured band, if you've ever seen some interviews the lead singer actually thought "punk" was actually foolish and childish...

You know, this actually isn't true. I used to believe it myself, even when I was "super punk"... but after reading up on it, it wasn't that way. And Johnny Rotten certainly wans't a fool about it.

Quote:

They were the spawn of a major label scheme to capitalize off of the idea of punk...

If they wre anything they were the spawn of Malcom McLaren, who was not a "major label" just a guy with a clothing store. Yes they were on a major label, but indie labels didn't start until later (started by the punks too I might add)

Sex Pistols are not hte epitome of punk, but they are a very important band and made some killer songs.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:51 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
August Spies

Quote:

you dunno shit, punk WAS invented in London, it was a fuckin London street culture, which you yankee bwoys latched onto,

Thats a pretty silly statement if you are serious. The only thing London punk can said to have really invented about punk was the fasion/anti-fashion.

The punk sound gets its inspirations from old american bands (iggy pop, MC5, New York Dolls etc...). Remember Malcom Mclaren, the guy who ran the sex pistols, originally wanted to manage the New York dolls.

And the punk sound itself was started in New York with Richard Hell and Voids, Television, Ramones etc...

Now don't get me wrong, England took the larval stage of punk in america and took it to the next level and made it better. However, the crystilizatin of punk happened in American after the english scene quickly burned out. At least, imho.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jesse

filthyrich wrote:
Yer just wrong mate. It started in the UK

Right, it started in the UK with the MC5, New York Dolls and like the Ramones. Good old UK acts, those.

Quote:

and how u saying Sex Pistols were the spice girls of punk?? U int even explained.

You never heard? Malcolm MacLaren owned a fetishwear shop and fancied himself a band manager. He held auditions and put together an act which he dubbed the Sex Pistols. It's all in the first year punk primer kit you received at the door.

pony boy wrote:
what's an american accent?

The collection of colloquial nuances in pronunciation that distinguish English speech in the US from that in other places. Dum dum.

gangsta stitch wrote:
plus buck 65 is mad wack yadunno...trust me he on some next level beyond sage francis wack ting...

Ah thanks, I'm glad I can trust you. I mean I've only been listening to his work for ten years, so it's nice to have an expert come around and set tings nuff straight for me.

Quote:

You talking out your rasscllaaat arse blud... sure the sex pistols were the big ting out of punk, but yadunno say people still respect them even today... If you think punk was invented in new york, psskkk faaaaaaaaacccccccy, you need deading trust, learn some fuckin tings first blud then come back to the table and test me, seen?

I wouldn't dream of "testing" you. You haven't been in fucking class all semester.

Dude, the way you type is so ridiculous I couldn't take you seriously even if anything you said DID have substance other than manufacturing any possible excuse to tramp out your trumped up regional slang. It's like reading fucking Prince liner notes, only less edifying.

Quote:

you dunno shit, punk WAS invented in London, it was a fuckin London street culture, which you yankee bwoys latched onto, it was our response to the wackness runnin the charts from your endz at the time....

Right, there was no UK disco and no backlash against disco in America.

Punk's roots can easily be traced to America. London just pansied it up a little with your fruity hair and leather.

p.s. I'm Canadian.

Quote:

Just like most the musical responses from britain is, music spreads nuff faster over here than in the states, sounds always changing, differnet mans get limelight and ting......

Ah, an expert on the North American musical experience, are you? Let's hear your NUFF learned take on the matter, shall we?

Quote:

which is why dance music culture, and urban music culture and rock stuff are always on the change... things bubble underground always changing....

Ah yes, innovation being a phenomenon quite unique to the UK. Hey, pop quiz - where did every form of music popular in the western world today originate?

Quote:

look how long it took hip hop to blow up, a comparable scene in the uk like jungle or uk g only took about 3 years...

Jungle rode the back of the rap and house establishments, you illiterate nonce. It's not comparable.

Quote:

yadunno shit blud, trust, yagetme?

yeah, bitch, I GET you fine.

filthyrich wrote:
mid west sounds different slightly, rest sound identical to me.

you realize that's shorthand for "I don't have sufficient experience to remotely appear as though I know what the fuck I'm talking about", right?

Quote:

And for those saying we don't speak English we invented the fucking language, nobshite.

Yeah buddy, so you were personally on the fucking board of directors were you?

august spies wrote:
Sex Pistols are not hte epitome of punk, but they are a very important band and made some killer songs.

Sure thing, I mean I like them fine but I think it helps that I don't happen to care what's punk or particularly hardcore or not. I also, I might add, have been known to enjoy the spice girls upon occasion. ^_^
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:01 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next