Search
Register
Changing your accent in hiphop. Is this a problem?
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

CreativeChild

Changing your accent in hiphop. Is this a problem?  Reply with quote  

I don't know how many of you are from Australia, or have heard Australian hip hop but we've got a bit of an accent issue. As an aussie, i think majority of australian rappers sound too conversational iand the sound really isn't fluent. Like if your a radio host, you put on your radio voice, and if your a rapper the art is in the delivery aswell right? But here Mcees are about patriarchy and being true to your country, which isnt the point. The point is to make music people want to listen too. One guy here, trying to make it as a rapper in australia, has just released a track with a slightly american sound to his accent. He's really been scorned here by the hip hop community, and granted: his lyrics are wack, but really to achieve his goal i think thats what he needed to do. Maybe im too accustomed to the american accent, but if you listen to Australian hip hop then you may know what im talking about. Do you think its right to change your sound to make a track sound good? .... depending on what your opinion of 'good' is.
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:47 pm
Ryan

i actually think it's purdy stupid..
alotta ppl mimic american rapper's accents.. from countries all over the world..
even ppl here with no accent front like they have one when they rhyme..

it's like they're posessed!

of course, they might understand many americans have trouble making sense of a foreign accent, and try to sound more american to make it easier to understand..

i met a guy from australia last year and it took me a week or two to get accustomed to understanding what he was saying.. and same with him.. he couldn't understand my accent any better for a couple weeks..
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 6:49 pm
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

Personally, i think all rappers should use their own accent and voice

When it comes to oz hip hop, theres nothing wrong with the aussie accent.

for example ozi batla, he's one of the best aussie MCs (my favorite too) and he has one of the strongest aussie accents.

I find it hard to take people who rap with fake accents serious, and i agree that too much aussie hip hop is about being aussie, rather than just being hip hop that happens to be rapped in an aussie accent.

But, as a whole the aussie scene is still a baby, i think it'll develop more over the next 5 years now that its getting good radio play and media attention.

peace
Post Sun Aug 31, 2003 8:24 pm
reintroducing

yeah, i used to find it really hard to like any emcees from here, its not just how occa they sound, i think it pronounces our accent more, but they have.. well most of them have shitty delivery, more recently ive found shit that i actually like listening to.
But i feel like it was more their flow than the accent, which i have to say used to shit me greatly, probably because im so used to american accents i guess
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 2:35 am
CreativeChild

Yeah your right, itis very under developed. I can hear it in the lyrics... its not easy tho. I'll give them credit for trying to make meaning instead of making meaningless violent rap. But delivery makes or breaks it... dont know if you know this guy: 'Muphin', i have his album, but I just can't get into it. Its like listening to my dad talk to me with some nice beats in teh back ground. No disrespect or anything... Its a shame, becoz the talent is there.
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 5:58 am
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

download 'the plunderers' and 'x-continental' by the herd and '1979' by the hilltop hoods

then you'll love aussie hip hop and never whinge about the lyrics
Post Mon Sep 01, 2003 6:31 am
hugh grants hooker

YES!!
use your natural voice and accent.

why does every rapper wanna sound like their from new york? its wack.

i know a dude right now who lives in pensacola... but was born in fucking ALABAMA... and it shows when he talks (hehe) but when this assnugget raps... you'd think he was born and raised in brooklyn.
needless to say he gets more people laughing and walking away than giving props. haha
... and some people wonder why nobody wants to help em out...

but back to the aussy topic, i dont know that i've heard australian hip hop. who should i hear?
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 1:56 am

amy webs

i like all accents and languages
even if i don't understand them
they enrich me and fill me up like food
salt of the earth//i love it.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:10 am
CreativeChild

Wow, I didnt know this issue was happening in the states as well. I've heard some people from the states say they don't like oz hip hop, and some say they do.

But i just picked up the latest issue of Vibe, and I would have to say, the image of a rapper in the states is proberbly something more worth worrying about!! What the hell is with Basketball patches being played all over JAckets and shit??...
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 2:59 am
Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

this happens all over the place.

I noticed it to be a huge issue in Australia though.

While sitting on a panel discussion on Autralian hiphop, this topic came up.

My response was something like, "When a person performs reggae music he adopts a Jamaican accent...because that's the way we know reggae to sound. I find it very difficult to understand or appreciate hiphop when the rapper stresses his/her Australian accent. If they want to stay true to the way they naturally speak, then fine...but don't chastise somebody for adopting an American accent in their raps."

I stick to this contention. I also know that it doesn't matter what your accent is, as long as you are speaking some science there will be a fanbase. This girl Romy (Macromantics) has really won me over with her hiphop, and she is from Sydney. The accent becomes endearing.

I have been guilty of shedding my hometown accent for a more acceptable one. I am way too conscious of my voice, so even when I try to speak "naturally" it feels like I'm forcing it. The only time I don't feel like I am forcing an accent is when I rap.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 8:25 am
barlow

I guess if you have only ever listened to US hiphop, it is probably difficult to not sound like that when you have a go yourself.

I know when I get the guitar out and sing Billy Bragg songs I can't help but sing in a half cockney accent. I try not to, but i can't help it.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:13 am
static

Putting on a fake american accent is possibly the worst thing u could do, im from the uk and i see it all the time all the gangster rap fans want to be an american thug, so they rock fubu and rap like a yankee and it makes me sick. Thats why i like the way americans dont like foreign accents because it makes uk hip hop underground and a lot more true to the art form, to be honest i dont think anyone should change their accent just to fit in with americans and the fools that do need a pimp slap.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:14 am

Sage Francis
Self Fighteous

I dig what you're saying. I do. And man, like I said...it is ALSO a problem with American rappers. People from my town should not be sounding like they are from Queensbridge. We have different accents and dialects.

But you don't have to over emphasize your accent...you can tone it down and make your speech more accessible to the rest of the English speaking world.

Slick Rick worked the accent correctly.

Every other rapper from the UK has done horribly with it ever since.

They all sound like shit.

If you want only your community to dig you, then keep rapping with your specialized accent. But it usually sounds awkward and very difficult for the rest of us to understand.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:26 am
August Spies

"Every other rapper from the UK has done horribly with it ever since. "

UK english is too stuck on correct pronunciation. Which is fine for speaking, but ends up hurting them emcing.

Do you think any British dude could force himself to rhyme "cloud" with "style"? He would stomp his scone in frustration at the suggestion.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:30 am
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MF TOON

I dont know but when I rap, I use a 1846 yankee doodle accent with the pepperidge farmers voice.
Post Tue Sep 02, 2003 9:49 am

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next