Search
Register
Question for Luke and Doctrine (very civil)
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

August Spies

i'm sorry I must have missed that. What is the difference between a christian scholar and biblical scholar? I was just using Christian to indicate their religion.
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:16 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Machiavel

dallasbboy wrote:

One man to read up on August. - > Martin Luther specifically his "95 Theses"

http://www.luther.de/en/95thesen.html

He debunked Catholicism in the early 1500's!

Catholicism and Christianty have been mututally exclusive for much longer than that even.

Brian

man, quoting martin luther just makes you less believable in my opinion. you lutheran too? you also believe in the doctrine of predestination?

I dont see why everyone is just dodging august spies question, he said that most americans believe in the virgin birth, but some theologians dont agree with this,

What you guys go doing is quoting biblical refrences, saying that she was a virgin when she gave birth, and that she had other sons.

Its as if everyone missed the idea that while the first part of the article he posted reffered to catholocism, in latter parts he reffered to americans, which is a motley crew of hundreds of different doctrines of christianity, and a few catholic doctrines.

I would say that the only reason so many people believe in the virgin birth is that most christians arent historians, and most arent theologians either. Most preachers are also neither of these, and most religions run on doctrines that have gone unquestioned in the face of historical findings and studies for hundreds to thousands of years. im not sure what kind of answer august spies expects from this question.

you should all read the book A History of God, by karen armstrong, if your so concerned with this topic. and also to find out the distinctions between other cristian and catholic and protestant beliefs, as well as jewish and islamic.

Last edited by Machiavel on Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:26 pm
duke_city

Martin Luther was a Christian scholar. His work is the foundation of modern day Christianity. His work was limited to the Old and New Testement. He was the first to transcribe the New Testement into other languages besides Latin, Greek and Hebrew.

A Biblical scholar is somebody who objectively studies Bibles from all religions without any desire to promote their message.

Brian
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:29 pm
Doctrine

Nobody shaped christianity other than God...Martin Luther was merley used through God in his knowledge...He wasn't the foundation of MY Christianity...It sounds like you are saying no "true" christianity was around until he came about...That is false...The Bible was around since the 1st church...I put nothing more into Martin Luther except he gave Catholics a swift kick in the nuts...The made a denomination...Which is now "just another" one to throw in the corrupted doctrines of mans "version" of christianity...My only problem is that there is only one VERSION of christianity, but there are so many denominations...But God called to the christians, "Let there be no divisions among you..."

I answered the question quite well in an earlier post, that I cannot prove to anyone who doesn't put faith in what I be to be God's word (the bible) that Mary DID have a virgin birth...Simply because my conviction is that it was a MIRACLE that is above human understanding...
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:38 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Machiavel

yeah we all know who martin luther was and what the christian reform was about dallas.

And doctrine, i think august's question to you was how do you take the quote, do you just dismiss it as hogwash from people who know nothing of true christianity or what?
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 5:49 pm
Doctrine

I gotcha...

It's like, If you believe the bible to be true, you have faith that it WAS a miracle and it DID happen...

If you don't believe or have faith in the bible...You will speculate and twist and try to disprove...So I dismiss all that...

Either way I still believe and have conviction in it...

Please make note...I am all for studying the bible and proving things...But the truth is, God was setting up and framing everything in the bible...After the bible, God is still holding the structure up...But there's not so much BUILDING to be done...It is in place...No more framework banging and pushing or what not...Some stuff just isn't going to be scientifically proven...It just won't...Your mind is limited...God's is not...I don't have a hard time grasping that...To think you can be over God's head or understand 100% his miracles scientifically is obsured...

To all of you...Just read or don't read the bible...But crap like that CNN site really seems foolish and unfaithful on the so called "cristian scholar" behalf...
Post Tue Aug 26, 2003 6:00 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4