Search
Register
regional vernacular is fun
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

emynd

In philly, people say "jawn" instead of "joint." It is used to reference several things: 1. A thing/event/party (You goin' to the Jawn tonight?) 2. A girl (You see that jawn with the big booty?) People say "bull" pronounced like "bowl" to refer to a male (The bull Steve came through last night.). And now, there's this shit that started a couple years ago where you say "early" really forcefully to just add emphasis to something. It's fuckin' wierd. (Yo! That jawn we went to last night was ridiculous! That DJ bull had the club on smash! EARLY!)
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:46 pm
bensandoval

emynd wrote:
In philly, people say "jawn" instead of "joint."

yeah, the dude i know from philly told me about this

he said it's hip hop slang, and he's not much into hip hop so he just laughed at it

we say that shit every now and then just to fuck with him

"yo james, lemme get that jawn right there"

Last edited by bensandoval on Sun Jun 29, 2003 9:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:51 pm
Wish Sammich

Someone from Philly called me a 'Polly' once. I wasn't quite sure what he was gettin' at, but I believe it had something to do with dating outside of my race, or some such inanity.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 6:58 pm
TurnpikeGates

.  Reply with quote  

Bay Area:
"Heavy" is also sometimes shortened to "Hev" and can mean either "good/cool" or something deep or serious.

"Cutty," is used both for something good or for something secret/hidden- "Keep it cutty," "let's find a cutty spot to light up"... it might have something to do with the phrase "in the cuts" which I think isn't regional, but basically means in the middle of nowhere.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:21 am
TILTEDmurder

pizzle: derrived from the word "piece", meaning a device used for smoking drugs.

one-time: po po, 5-o, la policia... whatever you wanna call em

bump: a system in somebody's car

sick: i've heard that people back east dont say this word, but im not sure, cuz most everybody here does... meaning "cool"
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:32 am
hugh grants hooker

damn i love these threads. i havent read the whole thing yet, but wanted to contribute. this is actually funny because our slang is so think and fucked up that about a month or two ago a friend of mine from canada came down here to visit for a few days and i had to translate the local dialect as though it were a foriegn language. haha

here is a taste of my fucked up ass pensacola dialect.

the edge = the beach (we gonna stay the weekend at the edge swimming and hookin up the barbie)

sand = grains (i got grains in my shorts)

clothing or car accessories = junks (where ya get them junks?)

bar-b-q grill = barbie (fire up the barbie and some catfish)

car audio equipment = bumps (the broke the window and stole my bumps)

tourists from the north = birds (all the birds migrate here)

to relax = marinate (get some soda and just marinate)

have no money = busted (i cant buy nathan, i'm busted)

fight skills = squabbles (dont fuck with him, hes got crazy squabbles)

a very rich person = thirston howl (roy jones is living really thirston howl)

person with no street knowledge = wally (derived from leave it to beaver i think)

prescription eye glasses = scrips (he cant see shit without his scrips)

cadillac = lac

broken down car = bucket or heap

cigarrette = stogie

stolen merchandise = 1 for 5 (got these cds 1 for 5) (refers to '5 finger discount')

we also have tons of words that are just very very mis-pronounced. examples are:
man = mang
baby = bay
fixing = fiddin
scared = scerred
though = dow (pronounced 'dough')
yours = chose (that aint chose, is that chose)
nearly any word that ends in an 'r' will be changed so the R gets dropped fromt he word. (fo sho dow yall know.) haha

and we are known to cram 3 or 4 words into 1 all new word. example:

what is your = whashow (whashow name?)
----------------

i think for almost all of these you must be able to pull of a good accent in order to use them and not sound insane. i just tried to picture people reading these and saying them aloud with canadian or boston accents and to me it just sounds crazy... but with the local accent it just fits like a glove.

most of the southern dialect is built around relaxation. for example if you've never spent much time in the south just listen to 'throw yo hands in the air' by Outkast. now pronounce the words the same way they do and notice how relaxed your lips and tongue are. its nice.

now, do a brooklyn accent or california surfer type accent. wow, its so drastic to me... my whole mouth just seems tense, like it has to really work to pull that off. i dont know. maybe its just me.

never has my face been so tense and tired as the 4 days i spent speaking with no accent in order to translate for a canadian. haha

(example of translating thick southern dialect)
random local: "sup mam, 'sit doin aight fa ya na'?"
canadian: "adam, what did he say?"
me: "he says hello"
random local: "we fidden to get barbie fire over in the grains. its just outcha sights to ya hind side if'n ya wanna stop in a spell for sips, stogies, and shrimps. fo sho, its in the shade if ya wanna 'fetch-to-fry' too."
canadian: "adam?"
me: "says they gonna have a bar-b-q later right over there in the sand behind us if we wanna come. they got drinks and they're gonna cook shrimp or they'll cook whatever we bring".

oh yea, it was thought almost unbelievable that we still say 'sir' and 'mam' alot.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 9:49 am

sliquid

I've lived in Philly and in New Orleans, and they have some crazy language skills, but the worst is here in the Midwest (KS, MO) they say warsh instead of wash, and Missoura instead of Missouri. They also call grocery bags, sacs...

Here is a great site to look into if you want to learn other peoples shit...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:07 am
PaigeMaster6

HGH-you're whole post was just...great. i can identify with ALL of what you said, haha. in my voice/speech class my teacher was working with me to help me with my southern accent...he would be like everyone relax your mouths but PAIGE you need to tense it up...haha. i totally know what you are saying. i can now pretty much turn off my accent when i need to. there is SO much involved when you are trying to speak a different way.

and for whoever said the 'cool-sick' thing...we say sick on the east coast, for sure.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 10:43 am
gerhupsom vanbone

I lives in maine.

I just say whatever i feel like saying, but other people in my family might say things like

"that ol' sons a' hawss is wicked cunnin'" translated states "that old son of a horse is wicked cunning" wich i think means that person is really cute(like a baby)

my father is always sayin' things like
"well kiss my grits"
"aaiiiyep"
"peckahead"
and others.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 11:16 am
SergOne

well some more texas shit

thoed or throwed = fucked up or just badass..."dat boy throed as hell" or "this is the thoedest cd in da stow"

oh yeah and "stow" replaces store

then there is "go hard" I think thats started to spread but I remember saying it like over 10 years ago, shit like youd be watching football and someone would say "damn dat boy go hard" means got skills

oh and "blow" = smoke some weed....the first time someone said that too me I was like wtf, I assumed they were talking about coke but the kid was like "yo dawg you blow" and I was like "naw man" and then dudes like "well we finna go to behind da house and blow some fiya" once he said fire I figured it out

I've also had people say bumps in az and texas, shit like "yo you got bumps in that ride"

oh and "cuz" means cousin but you pretty much call everyone your cuz even if they aren't related to you...."sup cuz"

in az we used to say swoop a lot for "pick up" like "yo come swoop me up," "swoop some beer on the way over" and "I'm swoop on this bitch"
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:34 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lady Luck

chicago slang  Reply with quote  

here in chicago we talk pretty normal. excpet for some things like, we call ciggarettes "shimmies". also, call a guy who is uncool a "herb". like, "why do u hang out with that kid, he is such a herb." this replaced "whack". and i don't know if this is common but my friend from wisconsn pointed out that before we describe a conversation between people and yourself we say "so then i was ALL LIKE..." and "he/she was ALL LIKE..." and when wisconsin people come to visit we always make sure to make fun of them for calling water fountains "bubblers"! :D
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:43 pm
bensandoval

swoop is a good one, i still rock the shit out of it

just about every sentence i say has "fuckin" in it

whatever that fuckin means
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 2:00 pm
good one

hugh grants hooker wrote:
person with no street knowledge = wally (derived from leave it to beaver i think)
i like this one a lot. it sounds like some 50s, american graffiti type shit.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 3:23 pm
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

hugh grants hooker wrote:
to relax = marinate (get some soda and just marinate)

genious

im gonna start saying marinate
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 6:50 pm

here's some spectacular vernacular..... a fresh pile of shit is oft referred to as a cleveland steamer. perhaps because cleveland is a shitty city.

how many east coast does it take to change a light bulb?

mad kids.

in jamaica, the patois is great. dem no test da champion, seen.
Post Mon Jun 30, 2003 8:33 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next