Search
Register
Nano machines scare the crap out of me
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Social stuff. Political stuff. KNOWMORE

Jesse

There are two kinds of science fiction. One is rare and one is ubiquitous.

The rare kind attempts to extrapolate a reasonable outcome from some imagined alternative circumstance, whether fantastic or likely. Stuff like 1984, Brave New World, Clockwork Orange, Close Encounters and 2001.

The ubiquitous kind consists of uninformed whoah-dude fire alarms regarding technological notions of which the author lacks the most fundamental understanding. Prime examples of this are found in the work of Gibson, Stephenson and yes, Crichton.

Don't confuse this stuff with information.
Post Sat Jun 28, 2003 11:27 pm
Krang
THE ORC BREATH

Jesse wrote:

The rare kind attempts to extrapolate a reasonable outcome from some imagined alternative circumstance, whether fantastic or likely. Stuff like 1984, Brave New World, Clockwork Orange, Close Encounters and 2001.

The ubiquitous kind consists of uninformed whoah-dude fire alarms regarding technological notions of which the author lacks the most fundamental understanding. Prime examples of this are found in the work of Gibson, Stephenson and yes, Crichton.

actually Crichton researches all the topics he writes about alot.
He has loads of PhD's im pretty sure.

So i wouldnt say he lacks the most fundamental understanding.

Plus, alot of science these days is theoretical, and it's people like authors who show possibilities for the future in regards to it.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:55 am
TILTEDmurder

i'm sure chrichton researches everything he writes about.

that doesn't mean he writes about everything he researches.
key word: fiction.

jesse hit the nail on the head.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:01 am
duke_city

Jesse wrote:

If you actually read the book "Prey" you'll see that the fictional story he presents resonates very close to what modern day scientists and engineers envision as risks and concerns for the future of nano-tehnology.

Just as many of the genetic manipulation mishap storylines in Jurassic Park are being realized today some 6 years after it was published.

Brian
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:12 am
Jesse

Well okay yeah it was hyperbolic of me to say that Crichton lacks ANY understanding of what he writes about, I know he does research, but I also think he's motivated purely by entertainment and distraction, and that his actual treatment of scientific issues is less than fastidious.

I'd appreciate an example of real life mirroring Jurassic Park.

but to be fair I haven't read Prey. maybe it's sensible, but it sounds like just another attempt to cash in on public mistrust of technological progress.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:33 am
Machiavel

soon we wont need to read prey, because there will be a movie. But until then im just gonna assume that its whimsical sci fi. If i went and asked somone working on nanotechnology im sure they wouldnt tell me one of their concerns was that they would form a collective societey where they go around killing people at their own will.

oh yeah and michael crichton has A phd, because he was a doctor at one point.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 8:36 am
FoJaR

i want to hear more about these "pulsing red lights" that fishermen can see. they sound really interesting and innovative.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 1:23 pm
ImmortallyWounded

Science!  Reply with quote  

Sure thing, we can all remain in the fucking dark ages by fearing and ultimately shunning science - OR - we can educate ourselves and make this world a better place.

God is dead. Good.
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:20 pm
caandom

last day I read a book about computers beating humans in chess, oh my god Im so scared they'll come to my house to beat me in chess too, oh shit!
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 2:59 pm
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
duke_city

Re: Science!  Reply with quote  

ImmortallyWounded wrote:
Sure thing, we can all remain in the fucking dark ages by fearing and ultimately shunning science - OR - we can educate ourselves and make this world a better place.

God is dead. Good.

Nobody is proposing to become a luddite but at the same time theres a point where science is posing more risk than benefit towards mankind.

NASA being the prime example of this.

"Faking progress...but we ain't advanced
Enough to change the posture of our ape stance?
"
jeeeeahh

Brian
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:02 pm
Ryan

FoJaR wrote:
i want to hear more about these "pulsing red lights" that fishermen can see. they sound really interesting and innovative.

i'm sorry bro, right now this is all i've got on it.. but i'm gonna research tonight and see if i can't hook you up with some new info..
http://www.discover.com/oct_00/featbiocrops.html
Post Sun Jun 29, 2003 5:17 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2