Search
Register
regional vernacular is fun
View previous topic | View next topic >

Strange Famous Forum > Hall of Fame

Awww mn

regional vernacular is fun  Reply with quote  

i'd like to take advantage of the fact that we got people from all over here and i am pretty much used to my bay area vernacular and the common language used in mass media.

but then there are the 'informal' terms that are strictly confined to region. regional vernacular adds so much more color and is so much more lively than the standard english widely used in textbooks and by many americans. what are some varieties that y'all know of?

some people in The South call skunks "polecats". When I first heard that I was like "umm..what are you talking about?". And it took me a while to figure out that it was not some exotic animal, but your standard skunk. polecat is such a cute name for a nasty, pungent smelling thing. i've heard new yorkers call soda "schpritz". some people call refer to soda generally as "coke", regardless of whether or not it is a cola.

give me more. i've heard a lot more but i can't recall. a guy once told me that there is this island off the east coast that is self-sufficient, isolated and far removed from the mainland. supposedly that isolation is a major factor in the language spoken, because it has virtually not changed since the 17th century and supposedly the locals speak a variation of Elizabethan english to this day. but it is an island of mostly poor, working class fishermen types and it is kinda of odd to me to picture them speaking the Queen's english. I do not know if this is true or not. but if it is than that is damn cool.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:36 pm
FoJaR

some of you rhode island people can verify this for me, but "wicked" is a New England thing, isnt it?

wicked awesome
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 1:54 pm
Craig a.d.

my friends from wisconsin call drinking fountains "bubblers"...heh..

i call small streams "cricks" we call rims "shoes" in my city(grand rapids) they just put speed bumps down on all over and have signs that say "speed hump"..wtf is that? i thought it was forever called a bump. we call cantalope "musk melon"... i like this thread. some old people around here call stocking caps "touks"..i dunno where thats from. anyhow. carry on
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:02 pm
ObliO

The Burgh  Reply with quote  

Pittsburgh:
A. "everybody or yall" = yinz/yunz ...this is the most overkill term in PGH. gets annoying.

B. "Soda" = POP

C. " Iron City Beer" = River water. EX: "i got fucked up on river water"

D. " Furthermore, and so on" = N'At. To be added at the end of a phrase randomly.

All together a very broad generalization of Pittsburgh language:

"Went dan (down) to Etna Beach (allegheney river) to do some fishin n'at. Saw some buddies a mine drinkin river water (beer) and i said, Yinz (you) guys drinkin some iron n'at?" - Taken from an actual conversation as it happened...
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:04 pm
Jesus Frank

As far as i know, "wicked" was first used by Shakespeare.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:18 pm
The_Human

At my job I talk to a few people from the south on the phone.

People from Texas and throughout the South say "Sir?" when they didnt understand/hear what you had said.

I thought they were just saying "Sir" to me so I would always reply with "what?", Then they would again say "Sir?" and I would again say "What?".

This happened a few times until I realized what was going on.

Also people from Canada say "Zed" instead of "Z".
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:22 pm
Awww mn

Re: The Burgh  Reply with quote  

jesusCrutch wrote:
Pittsburgh:
A. "everybody or yall" = yinz/yunz ...this is the most overkill term in PGH. gets annoying.

B. "Soda" = POP

C. " Iron City Beer" = River water. EX: "i got fucked up on river water"

D. " Furthermore, and so on" = N'At. To be added at the end of a phrase randomly.

All together a very broad generalization of Pittsburgh language:

"Went dan (down) to Etna Beach (allegheney river) to do some fishin n'at. Saw some buddies a mine drinkin river water (beer) and i said, Yinz (you) guys drinkin some iron n'at?" - Taken from an actual conversation as it happened...
oh my goodness, this is so badass. thanks for sharing jeremy. i get baptized in river water nightly and get born again hangovers the following morning.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:41 pm
Random Sample

I was going to put all of the pittsburgh shit in, but you beat me to it JesusCrutch. pittsburgh definitely has some messed up vernacular.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:02 pm
PaigeMaster6

in the motherfucking south...'down yonder' refers to...well...basically anywhere, no matter the distance...like...'we just came from over yonder.' however, i don't ever say that shit...but people do.

ok...this one is strange...instead of saying 'really?' people down south either say 'law?' or 'they god?' haha.

instead of you guys, of course it's 'ya'll' OR 'you'ns'.

lots of people say 'carry' in place of 'take' like 'i'm going to carry you to the hospital.'

instead of next door neighbor...it's just door neighbor. 'my door neighbor is pissing me off.'

and this is something my dad ALWAYS says...someone will be like 'how are you?' and he always says 'fine n you?' lots of people say that shit...it's like one word finenyou...
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:05 pm
duke_city

Some Texas vernacular for ya'll.

"Howdy" short for "How do you do?" in most parts of the southwest, even shortened to "Hadi" in some parts.

"I'm fittin to" and "I'm fixing to" instead of "I'm going to".

Another very strange one is saying MassaTUSETTS for Massachusetts. So annoying to hear such a blatantly wrong word being repeated over and over again.

This might be a Dallas exclusive one but the word "Already" is thrown around for nearly everything in agreement.

Brian
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:21 pm
PaigeMaster6

YES-the 'i'm fixin to do something' is the best. so many of my friends say that shit.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:27 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

i think us midwest people are the only <whatever you wanna call it>people that talk normal ;)
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:39 pm
mortalthoughts
LAME KID

does anybody outside of michigan say ' what up doe?'
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:44 pm
devenir

My Southern relations have a multitude of sayings that they throw around at the drop of a hat. For example, if something is fast it's "faster than greased lightning". Or if something is slippery or dangerous, it's "slicker than a peeled onion". Another one is said when a man looks handsome; "He looks like he just stepped out of a band box". I have no idea what that one means.

Another one I think is funny is saying "cut off" as in "Wanda cut that light/tv/hair dryer off". And of course "off" is pronounced "awwf".

All the Southern women in my family finish every sentence with "Darlin'" whether they're talking to their husbands, their cats or their mechanic.
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:49 pm
bensandoval

i lived in tucson, arizona my entire life before coming out here to the bay in jan to go to school and i've met lots of people from all over and we've gotten into may discussions revolving around territorial vernacular

us guys from out of state make fun of the bay area heads for saying "hella" every other word

most of us make fun of this guy from philly cuz instead of "going to the atm" he has to "tap the mac", we had no clue what the fuck he was talking about

or we make fun of this dude from boston who swaps the letters "r" and "a". "i have an ider", "lemme go to my caa"

the only thing i can think of from az is that a lot people tend to throw "aye" at the end of sentences. not like a canadian "aye" but an "aye" with a vato twist, "let's go to the store aye"

this shit can go on for days
Post Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:58 pm

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next